PDA

View Full Version : New bookkeeping business: Can I lease my vehicle to my business?

Funwithnumbers
10-29-2013, 06:37 AM
Good Morning!

I am working on getting my own bookkeeping business going and my husband (from Ohio) was able to lease his truck to his business 4 or 5 yrs ago in Ohio and had the same thought for my new business but we are in FL. I have read that some states require you to have a dealer lic but can not find anything that says if FL requires it.

Does FL require a dealer lic to personally lease a car/truck?

Can I lease my truck to my company (registered as a LLC) for part time use (50% business, weekdays, 50% personal (evenings & weekends)? I will be putting company name & info on the vehicle soon and it will be paid off from the bank in 2 months.

If not, what is the best way to deduct for the wear & tear & maintenance of the use of the vehicle?

Thank you in advance for your help!!!!!

Twhansbury
10-29-2013, 11:01 AM
i always check with my bookkeeper and or accountant first. Whether you own or lease a vehicle, you can choose to pay actual or standard deductions on business vehicles. If you choose standard deductions, then you use the standard mileage rate for the vehicle. If you choose to deduct the actual costs of the business vehicle, then you deduct the costs of the repairs, tolls and parking rather than take the standard mileage rate deduction, but you cannot deduct both the standard mileage rate and actual costs.

Harold Mansfield
10-29-2013, 11:49 AM
A bookkeeper asking bookkeeping questions?
I have to ask you...if a client came to you with the exact same question, how would you provide and answer and service to them?

Freelancier
10-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Seems like a good time to find an accountant to help you answer these questions, yes?