PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with importing goods experience?

on_my_own
11-20-2013, 07:21 PM
I've racked my brain thinking of what business I would like to pursue and decided that importing goods and selling them by whatever means possible to start is the way to go for me. Planning on starting off very small and easy to get some experience and minimize mistakes etc. Anyone in this type of business can give some advice? It seems like this type of business is everywhere, but I think if I can pick a niche and start somewhere, it would be something I'd like to try.

Thanks!

Fulcrum
11-20-2013, 07:57 PM
It's hard to import in small volumes and keep a reasonable profit margin. Many products that come out of China or other Asian countries have relatively large minimum orders (5000-10000 pcs minimum). I actually found out last week that it is very expensive for myself to export to the US - almost to the point of being told not to even consider it.

kkeuma
11-21-2013, 07:10 AM
Fulcrum is right. The only two ways to import things are by air and sea. When shipping by air, weight is the main consideration. I sent a package to some friends in the uk and it weighed maybe 25 lbs. It cost 160 dollars. If you ship by sea then it becomes about volume. Freighters use those large sealand containers and the only way to use less than a whole one is to use a freight forwarder, which can still be extremely expensive. I have ten large boxes that weigh about 260 lbs total that are in south korea. It cost USPS 360 to get them to me, a freight forwarder will cost over a thousand and that wont include taxes. Something to think about.

-kila