PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good business name?

TheTietzify
11-26-2013, 12:53 AM
Hello there. I am new here and hope you go easy on me since this is the first time being on a forum for me.
So, I have decided to start my own contracting business and am in the fun process of finding the right business name. I am looking for something with an animal in it because I got a few ideas for a logo. I really liked "Blue Bear contracting" but that one is already taken.
I don't want the typical John's contracting so I came up with "Mighty Monkey Contracting". How do you guys like it? Any ideas/comments?
Thanks in advance
The Tietzify

Steve B
11-26-2013, 05:02 AM
I think your name should tell what kind of contracting you do. That will help you get business.

OlegLola
11-26-2013, 08:07 AM
I like Monkey Contracting, but I don't like Mightly. Maybe you should try to replace it with some other word.

gregcooper420
11-26-2013, 10:36 AM
I am not sure about the monkey. When I think about construction I think of large projects that takes a lot of strength and energy. Monkeys seem to small, I think of IT work not construction. That's why you pick bear at the beginning but it was already taken. Find an animal that resembles strength and power.

Wozcreative
11-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Interesting.. I have a client who's name is Blue Bear _____ ... but they are in a totally different industry.
Not sure about the monkeys.. it seems very cheap in terms of quality of work.

huggytree
11-26-2013, 03:59 PM
I don't like naming your company after an animal....

just because you want to use an animal as your logo or mascot doesn't mean you have to name your business after it

mc donalds uses a clown, but isn't named Clown Hamburgers

the name of my hometown is Indian and translates to Home of the Bear...there are some companies who want local business who have BEAR in their company names.....no one from outside my town would understand it though....they are all local only type businesses

name your business whatever you want....unless the name is outright stupid/bad it wont effect you......most names are neutral.....very few names will actually help your business...and naming your business MONKEY or BEAR will not be creative enough to help you.

no matter what you name your business there is always a downside somewhere

I wouldn't hire someone who called himself and his crew monkeys....I don't see being a Monkey whether mighty or not as being something positive to be called....Monkeys are smarter than a snail, but if you call someone a Monkey its a negative thing..........the only businesses I can think of with Monkey in it off hand are kids places....my kids go to Monkey Joes..its an inflatable play ground

then there's Gas Monkey Garage from TV....they dance around like idiots and beat on customers cars.....very unprofessional, but their name suits them

TheTietzify
11-26-2013, 04:18 PM
just because you want to use an animal as your logo or mascot doesn't mean you have to name your business after it

Good point, makes sence. I will probably go away from the animal and maybe just use it in my logo and go with a more traditional name.
My neighbour actually suggested using "Bearlin Contracting" since I am originally from Germany, but I think that will just confuse a lot of people, especially when searching for that name online.
I really appreciate all your feedback. It's just that I want to be well prepared before starting a business and I don't want to have to look back and say "why didn't I ...", which will probably happen anyway.
If you guys have any more suggestions, I am open for them
Thanks
TheTietzify

moxnat
11-27-2013, 12:44 AM
I will be honest with you. From my point of view, I would never deal with a monkeys.
It's much better then to invent your own words. e.g. Coca-Cola doesn't stand for anything at all. But the name is HUGE. Just make something catchy and easy to pronanunce, because people are usually spreading information orally, and just imagine how much it will take to pronaunce Mighty Monkey Contracting. for example "MMContracts" would work much better.

KristineS
11-27-2013, 11:59 AM
One warning on making up your own words - Yes Coca Cola and Google are huge now, but they spent a ton of money on advertising and marketing to get that way. They've invested a ton of time, energy and funding in making sure that their funny names have stuck in our brains. If you don't have those sort of resources, you need to be more careful about the name you pick.

Harold Mansfield
11-27-2013, 12:04 PM
mc donalds uses a clown, but isn't named Clown Hamburgers
LOL!

First thing...it's a really bad idea to discuss actual possible names on an open forum because of the second thing....You should heavily weight your name decision based on what is available to be registered as a domain. It makes no sense to decide on a name if you cannot register the URL or announce it before you register it.

That being said, I agree with the "monkey" comments. I'd stay away from it.

Also, long phrases make for long email addresses.

smartlink
11-30-2013, 01:57 AM
Go to godaddy.com or namescheap.com. Try different name combinations without the - or numbers. Also go for .com. That will give you a better idea of what's available.

I always have a hard time thinking of business names. I've literally been sitting at my keyboard for a good 5 minutes thinking of a good name. People can list names but in the end it's the owners pick. Maybe "Owners Pick Contracting". Have a pickaxe in the logo... Or it could be pick as in choosing someone.

sharky
12-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Monkey doesn't sound serious. And the first thing that comes to mind when I hear it is the expression monkey business, which I guess is not the best for what you're doing at work :)

DeniseTaylor
12-18-2013, 02:22 PM
I am not sure about the monkey.

Me either. How about Gorilla Contracting? That sounds tough and mighty.

ARMGenius
12-29-2013, 05:42 AM
Hello there. I am new here and hope you go easy on me since this is the first time being on a forum for me.
So, I have decided to start my own contracting business and am in the fun process of finding the right business name. I am looking for something with an animal in it because I got a few ideas for a logo. I really liked "Blue Bear contracting" but that one is already taken.
I don't want the typical John's contracting so I came up with "Mighty Monkey Contracting". How do you guys like it? Any ideas/comments?
Thanks in advance
The Tietzify

I agree! The Mighty Monkey Contracting sounds cheesy! I wouldn't call them if I needed a new home built, but would consider them for some handyman work. I think the Monkey / Gorilla in the name of your company is going to be the most difficult challenge for you. I've literally sat here for the last 10 minutes trying to think of how you could make this name work but everything I came up with sounds worse. Hopefully you appreciate my bluntness!

PS. This is what I would think: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDAQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DVRr Mu7B1L2I&ei=xvy_UuHMKsv2oATcz4H4BQ&usg=AFQjCNFr42EjqMGQHTMl5R2WFlq95fKZ8A&bvm=bv.58187178,d.cGU