PDA

View Full Version : where to get good photo's from?

huggytree
12-06-2013, 01:46 PM
I need some extra photo's for my website.....where's a good place to get some free construction photo's from?

when I do a yahoo search for photo's most of them aren't the correct size to use on a full page

painperdu
12-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Have a look at Flickr's Creative Commons search: Flickr: Creative Commons (http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/)

Qmind
12-06-2013, 03:11 PM
You can check out these
CC Search (http://search.creativecommons.org/)
The Leading Source Of Free Stock Photos - stock.xchng (http://www.sxc.hu/)
Free Photos - Free Images - Free Stock Photos - FreeDigitalPhotos.net (http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/)

nealrm
12-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Try iStockPhotos they have a good selection. You can also hire a photographer to take some photos for you. By the way, you can just use any photos you find on the web. All photos are copyrighted. Use of someone photos without licence can result in civil penalties of up to $10,000 per photo.

LeadMaster
12-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Freerange has a decent selection of noncopyrighted photos that are of good quality. Istock is nice though since you can select the price range of your choice and have access to impressive photos that will look great for your campaigns.

cbscreative
12-06-2013, 08:43 PM
The iStock source was already mentioned. Another good one is Dreamstime but you may have to weed through some not so great ones to find good ones. There are search tools to help with that though.

Those are not free but finding free ones can quickly lead to frustration. The paid sites save a lot of time and provide much better results.

One free source you may want to try though is MorgueFile. Funny name with a real meaning behind it but a decent source for free images.

Jim Gillum
12-10-2013, 12:35 AM
I bought a decent digital camera....

You can do almost anything with the photos that you own....
Pick up a decent graphics program like paint.net....and you are ready to roll...:))

vangogh
12-10-2013, 02:16 AM
Be careful with the creative commons images. Most will require some sort of attribution, either listing the photographer or linking back to their site or where you found the image. You'll probably find more images you'll like if you're willing to pay one of the stock photography sites like iStock, however some of the free sites have good images. I've used MorgueFile in the past and also use Stock.xchange (http://sxc.hu/), which offers free images you can use. One other option is to just search for public domain images construction on Google.

Wozcreative
12-10-2013, 08:57 AM
Shutterstock.com is my go to site usually.

Freelancier
12-10-2013, 10:16 AM
most of them aren't the correct size to use on a full page

My eye caught this part. Separate from a copyright issue, my real question is: why are you looking for a photo that needs to be a full page?? Photos are there to convey feelings and some information... and break up compelling text into bite-sized morsels. A full page with a single image? Something's not right about that.

Harold Mansfield
12-10-2013, 10:49 AM
The best photos are going to be ones that are of you and your company. But when I need stock photos I don't even mess around anymore with trying to find CC images, nor $5 images that are on a million other websites. Especially when you need specific images in a specific niche. I go straight to Getty Images ( they own iStock and bunch of others).

Wozcreative
12-10-2013, 12:38 PM
My eye caught this part. Separate from a copyright issue, my real question is: why are you looking for a photo that needs to be a full page?? Photos are there to convey feelings and some information... and break up compelling text into bite-sized morsels. A full page with a single image? Something's not right about that.

I'm assuming this is for the "gallery" page.. which has the lightbox that would popup the photo.. I think this is fine.. but I don't think you need THAT many photos.. you really don't. Unless it is some photos to illustrate what the job is within the page of your text/content.. you don't need anything large for that portion.

Freelancier
12-10-2013, 01:29 PM
I'm assuming this is for the "gallery" page

Why would you search on the web or go to iStock for gallery photos? Those should show the company in action, not generic people doing generic things with tools.

Wozcreative
12-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Why would you search on the web or go to iStock for gallery photos? Those should show the company in action, not generic people doing generic things with tools.

Sorry I assumed he was looking for some nice photos of good plumbing (not people using tools or doing it) for the gallery page.

Freelancier
12-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Well, we'll find out when Huggy chimes in about what this was really all about.

Pronity
12-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Surprised no one mentioned Envato's Photodune marketplace (Photodune dot net). High resolution pictures (3006 x 1995) are only 5.00, 60% cheaper than most photo sites.

Looking to go on the Cheap, Cheap with your photos? Morguefiles dot com gives them to you royalty-free stock photos for free, but you have to really search them out.

vangogh
12-11-2013, 12:04 AM
Surprised no one mentioned Envato's Photodune marketplace

Especially bad on me, since I write for Envato from time to time.

Pronity
12-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Especially bad on me, since I write for Envato from time to time.

Shame on you Van Gogh! :)

vangogh
12-20-2013, 02:24 AM
I know, I know. Just don't tell them or they may not let me write for them again.