PDA

View Full Version : What marketing strategy are you most excited for in 2014?

LeadMaster
01-03-2014, 02:33 AM
Is there a particular marketing strategy you put off in 2013 and have decided to commit to in 2014?

Core List
01-03-2014, 03:39 AM
I like direct telemarketing to businesses to get the managers name and direct email and give a brief mention of what we do. I then send an introductory email outlining our services. I then build up our database of contacts and send regular emails with info that is related to our target market. This has been extremely successful for us in previous years, but I just didn't get around to doing it last year.
I will look at kicking it back into gear in February.

vangogh
01-03-2014, 06:56 PM
I'm not sure I've ever used the work excited in combination with a marketing strategy. :)

I'd like to be more active in social communities this year. While I understand how they can benefit my business and how to approach them, they aren't really my thing. At the moment I'm paying a little more attention to what others are doing so I can find a way where I can participate more in a way that works for me.

Another thing I want to do is set up a sales funnel around a product I now offer. Las year I wrote a book and I'm selling it through my site. This year I want to do a better job of actually selling it by making it part of a sales funnel that can lead people from a visit to a purchase.

entrep56
01-03-2014, 07:36 PM
What a great question to propose going forward into a new year!
In the past, being the jaded cynic that I am, (or realist, if you prefer) I researched with regularity all the so-called 'proven' methods of marketing, advertising, prospecting, lead generating, etc., and my conclusions based on these white papers and studies are these:

No one strategy works every time.
No one strategy or method can be proposed to any client as a guarantee of success.
No one strategy works for all scenarios.

Multi-channel marketing requires the most research, provides the most accurate data, and yields the most likely, best-case results.

A comprehensive study of your intended target market, an examination of your previous buyer/customer profiles, and defining what the core value proposition of your product/service is, is mandatory.

Big Business does this extremely well, not so for most small enterprises.

greg c
portland

vangogh
01-06-2014, 11:56 PM
Greg I've always seen it as different marketing strategies and tact is work for different people and businesses. I don't think there's ever been a single works for everyone strategy. Our business have different resources. We have different skills. What works for you might not work for me. I try to think about what skills and resources I have and what strategies align well with them. I also try to think which works best with the people likely to do business with me. What can I do to reach them, etc.

A certain amount of marketing is also trial and error. You can't always know in advance what will work so you have to try different things and see which works best for you.

billbenson
01-07-2014, 02:40 AM
Improving my website. Novel idea huh :)

If I could find a product I like for a website that doesn't need telephone support that would be a winner. Even if it only made a few hundred bucks a month. Preferably something that can be jump started by adwords. $200 a month this year and $2k a month in two years. Finding the product is the hard part and CJ ain't the place to look.

Harold Mansfield
01-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Can't say I'm looking forward to any particular strategy, however, I am starting a new personal project this year so I'm looking forward to the whole start up, branding, and marketing process for it. Implementing things I've learned over the years, the strategy of it all and so on. Plus I have a few cool ideas for it, so I can't wait to see how they are received.

entrep56
01-07-2014, 01:27 PM
Greg I've always seen it as different marketing strategies and tact is work for different people and businesses. I don't think there's ever been a single works for everyone strategy. Our business have different resources. We have different skills. What works for you might not work for me. I try to think about what skills and resources I have and what strategies align well with them. I also try to think which works best with the people likely to do business with me. What can I do to reach them, etc.

A certain amount of marketing is also trial and error. You can't always know in advance what will work so you have to try different things and see which works best for you.

================================================== ====

You are absolutely correct, there are no absolutes for any scenario!

And yes, trial and error, (especially with email marketing) is more often than not the course most of us take.

Here are a few more thoughts on the subject.

"Repetition brings recognition."
It's been said a prospect wont become a buyer until he's seen your ad/offer at last 7 times."
So marketers must continually keep their message in the minds of their prospects, whether it's via voice mail, computer screen (email), visual presentation materials: (direct mail).

The 80/20 Rule:
If I send 1000 email offers to a specific, custom-targeted, prospective audience, I could realistically expect some kind of response from generally about 200 recipients. Of those 200, 40 might have a valid interest, and of those 40, 8 might allow you to make a comprehensive presentation of your offer, and of those 8 presentations, you'd be
fortunate if 2 actually acted on the offer! Is that marketing science, crazy-logic, or what?
Maybe it's just plain old cynicism.

Underlying Factors:
Any of these factors can make or break your campaign, and might actually determine whether your response % is 2 or 200.

- The value perception of your product/service
- The attractiveness of your offer presentation
- The lack of a 'Call To Action'
- The professionalism of your marketing creative
- The 'first-look' perception of your website, or landing page
- The lack of user-friendly contact methods, customer servce, and payment options
- Sending to the wrong audience
- Sending to an over-saturated market audience
- Sending mail to too few prospects (Volume is King)

There are at least 25 more points of concern and areas of concentration to consider when you're employing e-marketing as a sales venue.

That's why most marketers keep tweaking their campaigns; it's as you said, trial & error, so they experiment with sending different colors and fonts, graphics, and ad content to see what actually works, and for which audience. Then they take notes.

Summary:
Big Marketing can easily assign huge ad budgets at their projects, ie; to throw as many pies as they can afford to at the wall to see what sticks, but small business owners have to be way more conservative with their ad dollars.

Many are so tight-fisted as a result of the exorbitant cost of advertising, that they don't invest anything, which is even worse, if one's goal is to corner the market, gain a footing in the market, or just compete in the marketplace. You have to spend- but you have to project your realistic ROI numbers first.

vangogh
01-08-2014, 12:17 AM
All good points. I think some people see marketing as advertising and assume a marketing strategy means paying for an ad somewhere once. So much more goes into it. I think marketing needs to touch every aspect of your business. For example something I don't think you mentioned is that marketing helps define your product or service in the first place.

A real simple examples. Say you want to target the high end of some market. At the high end people are going to be less concerned with an absolute price and more concerned with the quality of your product and the way it makes them feel. Knowing that you should make sure every part of your product is of the highest quality. You'd spend more on materials and get details right that most people will never notice. You wouldn't expect to sell as many individual products so you'd need higher margins per sale.

On the other hand say you're targeting the low end of the market. In that case price is the major concern. You'd be more focused on figuring out how to product your product at the lowest cost. You'd buy the cheapest materials you could. Because your focused on price and cost your margins will be low and you need to sell in great volume.

Each of the above suggests different selling points to your product, different places to reach your customers, different approaches to advertising, different stories to tell about your product, and on and on.

entrep56
01-08-2014, 02:21 PM
All good points. I think some people see marketing as advertising and assume a marketing strategy means paying for an ad somewhere once. So much more goes into it. I think marketing needs to touch every aspect of your business. For example something I don't think you mentioned is that marketing helps define your product or service in the first place.

A real simple examples. Say you want to target the high end of some market. At the high end people are going to be less concerned with an absolute price and more concerned with the quality of your product and the way it makes them feel. Knowing that you should make sure every part of your product is of the highest quality. You'd spend more on materials and get details right that most people will never notice. You wouldn't expect to sell as many individual products so you'd need higher margins per sale.

On the other hand say you're targeting the low end of the market. In that case price is the major concern. You'd be more focused on figuring out how to product your product at the lowest cost. You'd buy the cheapest materials you could. Because your focused on price and cost your margins will be low and you need to sell in great volume.

Each of the above suggests different selling points to your product, different places to reach your customers, different approaches to advertising, different stories to tell about your product, and on and on.

=======================================

Thanks for continuing the discussion, vangogh.

RE: "marketing helps define your product or service in the first place."

Actually, the concept of 'value proposition' falls under the defining of your product or service. We could expand on this endlessly, as you know, it's referred to as "branding' these days.
There's 5000 thousand vendors and consultants just one Google click away, that will gladly take your money to help you 'brand' your co. !!

Your 'high-end marketing vs the low end' example is so very right.
If I'm prospecting financial services to the 'retired wealthy home-owner' audience, you better believe it's 180 degrees away from how I would approach your local 'mom & pop store owners, or your new 'work-from-home entrepreneur' audience. Gotta know what's important to them, and cater to that, in your pitch, your offer, and your whole approach.

The approach makes all the difference; your offer better be specifically relevant to their immediate concern within 15-30 seconds of them either answering your phone call, or opening your mail, or email.

This is where multi-channel marketing helps:
If your prospective sale generates a significant dollar-volume, then you might consider it's actually a good investment sending a mail piece, and a finely-crafted customized email, and a follow-up voice message. I know it's a lot of work, but the end result of hard work (smart work) usually leads to rewards down the line.

(Keep your prospect pipeline full.)
You never quite know what will close, or when, even if you've done all your homework. You don't know who's cancelling tomorrow, or who's been talked out of your carefully prepared presentation. Contracts go south every day, in every industry.

The only solution you have is to try to always have other fish in the pan, and ready to fry!
In other words, to quote someone else here: "SELL! SELL! SELL! :)

Finally this:
"Do business with those who want to do business with you."
(you or I could probably write a book on that one!)

Next discussion:
The real difference between the concepts of "Marketing" and "Advertising"

Fulcrum
01-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Well put Entrep56.

I can't say for myself what marketing strategy makes me excited. To be honest, I'm just getting excited to start marketing. Currently I've just relied upon word of mouth and pricing sheets when the opportunity presented itself.

I'm starting with the methods that I know best:
1) Call and request permission to introduce myself, drop off pricing, and answer any questions they might have
2) Drive to the potential customer and fulfill step 1
3) After all the talking is done, I ask if they would like for me to give them a trial run. I don't drop prices as mine are already quite low.

Simple, straight forward, traditional and low pressure. Best part about this is the shops I have targeted are all "mid-size" (which keeps internal logistics simple) and already located on my normal routes so they won't add much time to my drive.

vangogh
01-09-2014, 12:25 AM
@Entrep56 - All good points again. I think a lot of people miss the whole concept of marketing as it relates to every aspect of your business from the planning to the sale. I don't mean to imply you have to know everything about potential customers before you start selling a product or service, but you should readjust as you learn more about them.

When I first starting offering design and development services I didn't know much about marketing or business and just offered the services. As I learned more about myself and who I defined as my clients I've adjusted those services. I know better the kind of people I want to work with and how much they'll pay for my services and what kinds of things they want in the person they hire. I've also learned myself better and what I do and don't do well.

All these things not only influence what kind of service I offer, but how and where I approach people who might buy my services. To me marketing is all about how everything connects. So many more things have to happen to make a sale than we sometimes realize. Marketing is trying to get all those things to align so the result is a happy outcome for everyone.

Advertising is just one part of the puzzle. It's one way to reach potential customers and clients and it's one way communicate the story of what you're all about.

LeadMaster
01-10-2014, 09:07 PM
I'd like to be more active in social communities this year. While I understand how they can benefit my business and how to approach them, they aren't really my thing. At the moment I'm paying a little more attention to what others are doing so I can find a way where I can participate more in a way that works for me.

I have spoken with many business owners who are also wanting to be more socially involved in communities and build a better following on their social media channels. Often the channels are set up but they just haven't gotten around to it so if they commit to their goal then social is definitely on the move.

liamdai
01-11-2014, 03:16 PM
This year, i have made a plan of action that i will be implementing throughout the year.

Offline Marketing Strategy
Cold Call (this will be the most proactive)
Direct Mail Post Cards

Online Marketing (once set up, i hope to have it auto generate leads)
Website
PPC
Email Marketing
Social Media PPC

Damon the Marketer
01-14-2014, 12:23 PM
To be honest, nothing has changed in terms of marketing. The last change in terms of how to market was in 2008. As for 2013 and 2014, it's more of the same.

For anyone reading this thread wondering where to focus marketing efforts, my suggestions are as follows:

Free:
Content creation (e.g., blogging, infographics, webinars)
SEO
Social media (Linked In, Facebook, Twitter)

Paid:
Spot ads
Direct mail
PPC ads

Harold Mansfield
01-14-2014, 12:52 PM
Just read an article last night in Marketing Land about "Growth Hacking" that pretty much touches on all of the Marketing Fads, and grifters in the industry that baffle people who don't know any better with what seems to be perfectly logical BS.
Growth Hacking Is Bull (http://marketingland.com/growth-hacking-is-bull-69635)

Damon the Marketer
01-14-2014, 11:44 PM
Just read an article last night in Marketing Land about "Growth Hacking" that pretty much touches on all of the Marketing Fads, and grifters in the industry that baffle people who don't know any better with what seems to be perfectly logical BS.
Growth Hacking Is Bull (http://marketingland.com/growth-hacking-is-bull-69635)

Growth hacking is a "cool" way of saying "Everyone in the company should understand the company's marketing plan."

This way you don't get a lackluster product that marketers and copywriters have to "pump up" to sell. Your product is unique from the start and easy to market.

Most fad marketing phrases like this are rehashes of solid marketing ideas that go back decades.

vangogh
01-24-2014, 02:23 AM
Most fad marketing phrases like this are rehashes of solid marketing ideas that go back decades.

So true. Just about every form of marketing online is a rehash of something that's been around for a long time. Email marketing is direct sales marketing for example. Most online marketing just follows the techniques copywriters like David Ogilvy came up with 50 or 60 years ago. It gets an update for the web, but it's all still basically the same thing.

WhiteRhinoMedia
01-27-2014, 10:23 AM
I think I will put a lot more focus on social media... but not the crappy facebook and Twitter outlets. Without
barely trying I have got several clients on LinkedIn. I will be improving upon and amplifying last years efforts.

Sean_DeSilva
01-27-2014, 04:17 PM
I'm looking forward to an expansion of inventory in the display ad market Place. Also, innovated new advertising methods such as retargeting or contextual link ads will only continue to grow as those types of advertising gain in popularity.

justinnichols
03-04-2014, 07:10 PM
Here is the approach I have been using with clients and it has worked incredibly well this year. It is a contrarian approach.

Most people are diverting all of their attention to email, websites, SEO, and social media. What we've been doing is connecting with stake-holders on Linkedin and CALLING them within 24 hours. This is because "the herd" are all doing the same thing. That means that they are being tuned-out most of the time. Here's a real example of how powerful this has been:

One sales rep was sending 150 emails per week and was lucky to get 1-2 responses. He started making 50 phone calls per week using the method I mentioned above, and he was getting 25 responses. Wowser.

WhiteRhinoMedia
03-04-2014, 08:21 PM
For me it is integrating marketing. Combining online and offline efforts for one common goal. Fun stuff!

PrincePatridge
03-26-2014, 10:36 AM
This year I have switched all my marketing efforts to going online. I believe leveraging the internet along with tools, technology and more is going to be the wave of the future.

JohnF
03-26-2014, 07:11 PM
Here is the approach I have been using with clients and it has worked incredibly well this year. It is a contrarian approach.

Most people are diverting all of their attention to email, websites, SEO, and social media. What we've been doing is connecting with stake-holders on Linkedin and CALLING them within 24 hours. This is because "the herd" are all doing the same thing. That means that they are being tuned-out most of the time. Here's a real example of how powerful this has been:

One sales rep was sending 150 emails per week and was lucky to get 1-2 responses. He started making 50 phone calls per week using the method I mentioned above, and he was getting 25 responses. Wowser.

Second this one. The LinkedIn premium account is the best sales tool I've ever found, and this kind of one-two punch with two different mediums of communication is the best way I've found to get people's attention in sales.

In terms of marketing rather than sales, I'd say it's blogging plus newsletters. Nothing new, just stuff that works.

Damon the Marketer
04-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Second this one. The LinkedIn premium account is the best sales tool I've ever found, and this kind of one-two punch with two different mediums of communication is the best way I've found to get people's attention in sales.

In terms of marketing rather than sales, I'd say it's blogging plus newsletters. Nothing new, just stuff that works.

What's the advantage of the premium account over the standard account?