PDA

View Full Version : Disability-Owned business

NebDave
01-05-2014, 07:51 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the Disability-Owned business certification? Do you think it was worth getting?

Wozcreative
01-05-2014, 11:22 PM
What is a disability owned business certification?

kimoonyx
01-06-2014, 07:50 PM
I set up a store for a disabled veteran who had asked me about this. When I first consulted with him I admit freely that I miss understood his request for this initially. I thought he was asking in a poorly stated way if his store would be ADA compliant... I said no problem...I made a significant portion of the countering low enough for a wheelchair bound person to transact with ease and, carefully spaced the entire store for wheel chair accessibility at the cost of some efficient space for sure. We went above and beyond what was needed for ADA compliance, because the owner himself is wheel chair bound.

The project was tedious, but in the end I was proud to have accomplished the store and have another satisfied client. Unfortunately, I had to bite a bit of a bullet early on and tell him that I could not provide disability owned certification. When I had initially agreed that I could provide the certification, I thought my customer was asking for ADA certification. Like Woz I had never heard of such a thing. However I researched a few places and tried to assist him in selecting a company that could help him with this... After discovering the costs I can tell you that he did not decide to do it...and I was relieved because I didn't really see the benefit. I needed my client to save his money for video game reorders! That cost of goods sold can creep up on you if your not reordering regularly, and you kill your business rather quickly if you don't replace your hot inventory.

Disability Owned Business Certifications are associations of businesses that are owned by people with disabilities that network to assist each other in different capacities. The goals of these associations are to further the cause of disabled persons in business, employment, and the like. I liken them to all of the other diversity certifications that we see sprouting up now. Companies that offer the certification help disabled members gain access to these networks for a fee. each of these associations sponsor various events and such.

Unfortunately, and I need to be careful here, these groups tend to be very pricey and in some industries, mine seemingly included, and there does not seem to be a real business advantage. I am not suggesting that the need for association is not there on a macro level or that these groups as a whole are worthless, but in this case it seemed like taking this extra step may be overkill as the affordability was not there. Especially when the store that was just constructed took such great care to be so accessible and handicap considerate. I carefully explained that in his case, he was now the expert and I felt he didn't need the badge of an association to be able to market to those in his like predicament. He agreed.

I want to end on this note because I don't want to be misunderstood. Working with this client taught me a lot. We went into several businesses together to get different items for the store, and I can see how it can be frustrating to not have minor considerations present. He shouldn't have to ask for things that could be so cost effectively corrected with just a little consideration in the planning phase. It is important for those with disabilities to not feel like second class citizens and I think that is what is leading the charge for these organizations. I understand the assertion.... nothing but love.

tallen
01-06-2014, 08:42 PM
One area where a certification like this (whether disability-owned, or other like WBE) might be helpful is in contracting with the US federal government, whether as a direct contractor or a sub-contractor. Some other non-federal institutions (e.g. some universities) might also follow the fed's lead and give some preferences to appropriately certified businesses. You can find out more about this at the SBA: Contracting | SBA.gov (http://www.sba.gov/category/navigation-structure/contracting)

NebDave
01-07-2014, 09:32 AM
All great information, thank you.

Tallen, thanks for the link. Do you have any experience in this area?

NebDave
01-07-2014, 09:37 AM
Kimo
o, it sounds like a lot of these are private networks, is there a national certification or are they all private? That you know of, of course! Thanks!

tallen
01-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Tallen, thanks for the link. Do you have any experience in this area?

No, I just know of some businesses that are certified as WBE's (etc) for the purposes of the contract-love it gets them as subcontractors on federally-funded projects. Here's one: Hager-Richter Geoscience, Inc. (http://hager-richter.net/) -- check-out the panel on the lower right of the home page.