PDA

View Full Version : Budget Company Director Services Availability?

HeyIts007
01-09-2014, 02:32 AM
I want to set up 5 small micro businesses so I have extra income in retirement. I would like someone else to be director of those businesses and treat the businesses as investments and limit my direct involvement. The director would meet once a year for about an hour or two just to summarise the years activities etc...

Given that I'm only starting up, is there a affordable company director service or any business consulting service available, that can act as director for my new small business start-ups?

:confused:

Thanks.

Freelancier
01-09-2014, 08:00 AM
Somewhere in your description, something sounds backwards. Are you looking to be an investor in businesses run by someone else? I wouldn't look for a service to run these businesses... I'd look for existing businesses that are doing they types of things you are interested and that need some investment income and are looking for a new board member and mentor to help them. But you might want to come to the table with more than just money, because helping them sell their products (your connections with potential clients, not your selling skills) is often just as important as spare cash.

Harold Mansfield
01-12-2014, 02:31 PM
I want to set up 5 small micro businesses so I have extra income in retirement. I would like someone else to be director of those businesses and treat the businesses as investments and limit my direct involvement. The director would meet once a year for about an hour or two just to summarise the years activities etc...

Given that I'm only starting up, is there a affordable company director service or any business consulting service available, that can act as director for my new small business start-ups?

:confused:

Thanks.

Sounds like you have a pretty romanticized understanding of what it takes to start and grow a successful company. Let alone 5.
Growing something successful and profitable is pretty much the opposite of "I would like someone else to be director of those businesses and treat the businesses as investments and limit my direct involvement."

You'd probably be better off investing in businesses instead of starting them yourself. Maybe even buy a franchise that already has the day to day operations and marketing down to a science (like a McDonald's does) and hire a manager to follow the script and run your location.

Also, no matter how you invest your money meeting with your manager, director or even investment counselor only once a year is rediculous. And in this day and age with as easy as it is to keep tabs on things, and communicate from a laptop..there is no reason that you need to absent for a year at a time.

A lot of things can go wrong, need adjustment or a lot of opportunities can be missed in the course of a year. If you aren't willing to be hands on to insure the continued success of your business or investment, you may be better off just putting your money in an IRA or mutual fund.