PDA

View Full Version : What's a safe first business to start?

RyanCoSo
01-15-2014, 12:32 PM
I'm currently 16 years old and going to be getting a part-time job soon. For a while now I've been thinking of what I want to do with my life and I'm kind of toying with the idea of starting a business with the money I earn and save from my job. I'm thinking of eventually opening up a security business when I'm older, but I feel that I should get a bit more experience in the business field before attempting something like that. So, what I want to know from you guys is: what do you think is a safe business to start for a beginner so that he can gain a prodigious amount of experience while also accumulating a decent profit, and how much money do you think I should save up AT LEAST before taking a go at this? Any other information on the matter would also be incredibly helpful.

Thanks a bunch. :o

David Hunter
01-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Start a lawn care business. Easy to start up and you can make some money.

Rock on!

billbenson
01-15-2014, 09:37 PM
I don't know about lawn care. You need to buy mowers and trimmers etc. That's a lot of investment for an industry that doesn't pay much.

What you want is something with minimal risk that you can learn from. You want to learn how to set up the business legally, pay the taxes, deal with the accounting, sell the product or service, marketing (of which selling is a subset).

For better advice, what are your skills, ambitions in life, hobbies? What type of business would you like to see yourself running in 10 years?

rebeccajyo
01-15-2014, 10:03 PM
Hi, you are a student now, maybe you can take advantage this and open an online store or resell some products. I have some classmate when i was in school, they resell clothing, cosplay costume.etc, which is very successful and no need to stock, so very safe.
If you really like this line, pls reply me. i can help you to some degree.

tallen
01-16-2014, 05:57 AM
Think about what are your passions? What skills do you have? What service / product can you provide to your community that no one else can?

When I was your age, I ran a bicycle repair business out of my parent's basement. Dad got the sign permit from the town and we hung the sign from an old bicycle frame bolted to a tree out front. I think I must have advertised in the local "shopper," but mostly by word of mouth (and the sign). Somehow I got hooked up with a parts wholesaler. I had a reasonable collection of tools already when I started, but the rest of it was pretty much pay-as-you-go, not requiring a huge investment.

David Hunter
01-16-2014, 06:05 PM
I don't know about lawn care. You need to buy mowers and trimmers etc. That's a lot of investment for an industry that doesn't pay much.

What you want is something with minimal risk that you can learn from. You want to learn how to set up the business legally, pay the taxes, deal with the accounting, sell the product or service, marketing (of which selling is a subset).

For better advice, what are your skills, ambitions in life, hobbies? What type of business would you like to see yourself running in 10 years?

Maybe he could use his lawnmower at home (if they have one) and cut the neighbors' grass. Easy way to make some money.

huggytree
01-16-2014, 06:42 PM
the construction trades is a great place.....I make a very good living...physically it can be difficult though...you need to work hard to make the $$

get an apprenticeship when your 18, get your masters license in 8 years and by 26 your on your own.....

problem with being young and wanting to be in business is you may be too young for many people to accept you...most business owners seem to be old guys...to be taken seriously in many fields you need to be 40+ years old

pick something you like to do..learn about it, get a job working for someone else....watch how things work....find better ways to do things....save up cash....then start your own

don't just pick anything because its a easy way....easy typically means- low profit

I think the construction trades is going to make you the most $$ for the least amount of BS....I have no employees to deal with....most shops only have 3 or 4....yet the financial potential can be amazing...your competition is typically below average intelligence

ive had many jobs and all were boring...I used to look at the clock every 15 minutes....since I started plumbing im shocked at how fast the day goes...I often wish I had another hour to complete a task....your using your mind all day long and moving around...no day is the same...no hour is the same

huggytree
01-16-2014, 06:45 PM
you could be a pool boy for a cougar when your 18?

take someone elses money....cant get easier than that

Gabe
01-26-2014, 01:01 AM
Start a web-based business. It has the lowest startup costs, the largest reach, and the highest learning potential. Choose a niche that you're interested in and start building a website around it. Depending on the niche, you can monetize it as an affiliate or something similar.

For example, you mentioned you're interested in starting a security guard business, so you could start a website like this: Security Guard Training HQ (http://www.securityguardtraininghq.com)

If you spent a few years building an authoritative website around a niche, imagine how much easier it'd be to start a business in that niche. You'd already be an authority with a massive reach, so you could land partnerships, deals, and have a long customer list before you even open your doors.

Even if you end up starting a business in a different industry, everything you learn about online marketing will help you succeed. If you can succeed online, you can succeed everywhere. The reverse isn't true.

phanio
01-26-2014, 08:23 AM
Ask around to your friends and family what they would like to see more of online and then try to find a way to provide it - online. You want a safe, low cost business to start, then do it online.

junglepreneur
01-27-2014, 03:53 AM
I think you should pick something you believe in and want to do because your interest will show through the business. I would not stress to much about experience currently. Learning the best way to run a business is 50 percent of the difficult task right now.

LordVito9
01-31-2014, 01:11 AM
I would suggest looking at what your skills are and what you think people are willing to pay to fix or help them with. At 16,you can work i assume,not knowing where you live. Set a goal of how much you think you need and when you need it,and get started. Cause then you will see what you really want. When you do a job you hate,thats when you will find the job you love,cause the ideas will start to flood to your mind. Im a nurse-do you know how mind alteringly boring nursing is? But i do it as i march towards my goal of saving up capital.
Look around and see what needs to be fixed (within legal jurisdiction) and of you can,offer to pay to fix it.find a need and offer a service. walk dogs,cut lawns as mentioned,wash windows,sell toys or food or what ever is needed in your area. A good book for this is Rich Dad Poor Dad, or the cash flow quadrant.

Good Luck.

FlyPizzaGuy
01-31-2014, 05:02 PM
It depends on if you have restrictions whether Federal, State or even local for that matter. Something small like a lawn business would be a great small business? What do you know? Computers? Small Engines? Restaurant?

However you will have to think about if the infrastructure grows, how much is it going to cost to insure your business. Sliding scale type of business can be scary.