PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a new business startup checklist?

Joe Arnold
01-20-2014, 09:33 AM
I am in the process of trying to build myself a checklist for starting my business so I can make sure I do not miss anything. Anyone know where there might be some for me to use as a template for my checklist? I got basic sections figured out, just want to make sure I try to cover everything I can because there is so much to cover when starting a business. Thanks for your help.

Wozcreative
01-20-2014, 09:42 AM
This depends on the business you are starting. Is it online? Is it location based? Does it have a store or office? Inventory? Supplies needed? Licenses?

mg84
01-22-2014, 09:42 PM
Hi,

I know the admin stuff is important, like registering for tax, incorporating if required, organising an accounting system, but before all of this I would recommend firming up your business model first.

If you have done this, GREAT, otherwise I would try looking at some 'Lean Startup' methods, including works by Steve Blank.
The gist of this work is to educate you in starting a business where focussing on customer needs is a key priority. I.e. ASK what the customer actually wants, and then deliver.

Even if you're going into a business with a proven model (a business model that already exists now and is working), a bit of market research is still hugely useful and can outline some great things like:

- if you're getting into a 'dying' business (like renting DVDs)

- who your customers might be, and will they care about what you offer. Can they afford it?

- what customer pain points are - even though there businesses out there that might partly cater to customer needs, if you really listen to what they want and can go some way to solving a problem for them, I think you're onto a winner.

Hope you got some value from this post.

Michael

David Hunter
01-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Hi Joe. Look into the book, "Start Your Own Business" by Entrepreneur.

liamdai
01-22-2014, 11:24 PM
First thing, based on my experience if i had to start all over....

Figure out your ideal customer first and see if there is a big market / volume for it. Then incorporate (sometimes you don't need to, depending on your line of work) and market toward these ideal customers.

I spent the first 3 years of my career, shotgun marketing to everyone and being greedy not letting any prospect go.

the 80/20 rule is true. 20% of my customers generate 80% of my income whereas the other 80% generate only 20% and gives me the most headaches and service work.

Usually your ideal customer is in the 20% of my customer.

rebeccajyo
01-23-2014, 04:10 AM
Hi Joe, what kind of business you plan to start-up? The checklist will vary from lines. The basic are your budget, your products, your marketing plan, etc. If you want to run the line of fashion, maybe i can provide more info since I am also in this line.

DoMETRIQ Quality
02-03-2014, 11:32 PM
In my opinion Joe, the most important consideration for any startup is getting the right people involved. Nobody builds a successful enterprise solo. Find a few trustworthy experts whose skills complement your own. One might be creative, another might be technical, another might be inspirational, etc. And as your services evolve over time, your team will need to do the same.

Most failed startups blame (1) market conditions, (2) lack of capital, and/or (3) the wrong team. If you avoid that third mistake, your odds will improve. Just keep in mind that no matter how long that checklist is, no matter how thorough and meticulous, you will always be adding to it. Make sure you're in good company.

Lyons
02-06-2014, 07:04 PM
Follow These 10 Steps to Starting a Business | SBA.gov (http://www.sba.gov/content/follow-these-10-steps-starting-business)
Sba.gov has a wealth of information, including grants and loans!

Harold Mansfield
02-07-2014, 10:36 AM
I am in the process of trying to build myself a checklist for starting my business so I can make sure I do not miss anything. Anyone know where there might be some for me to use as a template for my checklist?

I sure don't know of one. 4 years later and I'm still checking stuff off.

You may want to check out the SBA Website for the basics. Pretty much everything you need to know to get physically started, just know that everyone's list is not going to be the same.
The U.S. Small Business Administration | SBA.gov (http://www.sba.gov/)