PDA

View Full Version : I really need some advice. Niche restored antique business.

trunker
01-25-2014, 11:16 PM
I restore antique trunks and then sell them. I do have a website, utilize eBay, Craigslist and other free or nearly free marketing outlets. I also use Google adwords. Sales are few and far between. I know that I am not reaching near enough people. The amount of people looking or searching for a restored antique trunk is almost none but I feel that people would buy my product if they were able to see it at a furniture store, auction, retail outlet etc. Maybe I am wrong and I just don't have a good product. Consignment stores charge 50% and I can not afford to give away that much. I sell my trunks from 500 to 2000 dollars retail. There are other people out there that do the same thing I do but their trunks are not as nice as mine and they ask the same prices. I am lost if I can take this business to the next level and make sales. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated. My website is antiquetrunksandchests.com

vangogh
01-26-2014, 01:59 AM
Welcome to the forum trunker. Sorry to hear you're not getting as many sales as you like. You certainly have a niche product. Maybe the problem isn't that you aren't reaching enough people, but that you aren't reaching the right people. Have you thought about who is the type of person that buys your trunks? What do you know about your customers? Can you identify some characteristics common to them? If you can really define who your customer is it might give you some ideas of how and where to specifically reach people likely to buy.

I think it's safe to say not everyone is looking for an antique trunk. You mention eBay and Craigslist. Are people really searching either for antique trunks. I would think people search both sites looking for bargains and low cost items in general. I'm pretty certain that's the case with Craigslist. Maybe eBay would be a little different. In fact I did a quick search and see antiques on eBay.

Thought I'd try another search and I looked to see if there were any blogs about antiques. There are. I would think the people who read those blogs would be potential customers. How about spending some time commenting on those sites. You wouldn't want to promote yourself, but you could engage other commenters and the bloggers. Get to know the people who write about antiques. As they get to know you they'll likely check out your site and see your trunks. Some will probably write about your trunks or reach out to you in some way. If the sites sell advertising, it's probably a good place to advertise. You can see if they'll let you write an article for the site too. It'll get you out in front of the people most likely to be your customers.

You say you think if people could see your products in person you think they'd be more likely to buy. So what can you do to get them into the store? It doesn't have to specifically be about your trunks. Naturally you want potential customers to visit and not just anyone. Is there someone you could get into the store one day or evening to give a talk about antiques? Maybe there's an author who's book you could promote in store. How about hosting a weekly gathering for people to watch Antiques Road Show? You serve snacks and get a good sized tv and make it an event. Make it a place where antique lovers in your area can get together and meet each other. Maybe none of these specific ideas would work, but there should be ways you can get people into the store.

Since I mentioned blogs above, why not add one to your site? Get people interested in antiques to your site by giving away information. Your trunks would only be a page or two away. Get people coming to the site regularly, talking about you to their friends, sharing your site on Facebook and Twitter, etc.

Again I have a feeling this is less about needing to reach more people and more about needing to reach the right people.

Hope something in there helps.

phanio
01-26-2014, 08:17 AM
Couple of things:

1) If your trunks are better - charge more - could offset some of the cost for consignment.

2) Work deals with other retail outlets or auction houses - try to set something up based on volume - i.e. 20% for the first 5 sold, 30% for the next 5 and 50% for everything after.

The key to any marketing is to be where your potential customers are. If they are not searching online, then adwords won't work as your customers are just not there.

Try to figure out you ideal customer then try to put yourself in his or her shoes and see where they would get information or be responsive to information about your trunks. I would also suggest finding a local SCORE, SBDC or SBA office in your area - they can help you research your marketing and they will do it for free.

Harold Mansfield
01-26-2014, 12:25 PM
Just a thought...Have you tried getting furniture stores to carry your product?

Also, how's it going with adwords? Do the clicks that you do get convert to any sales?

I looked at your site and it appears that you do very nice work, but your website is not set up (designed) well enough to do any significant ecommerce business. It doesn't do your product justice, and doesn't instill a feeling of confidence, or credibility compared to the price of the product.

I agree with VG that you may have a targeting problem. From what I've seen ( and I may sound stupid for making the comparison) on HGTV, Antiques Road Show, Pawn Stars, American Restoration, and other design and craft shows, trunks such as the kind you make are, and always have been popular. So the problem isn't that people don't like them.

trunker
01-26-2014, 03:53 PM
Thank you very much for the ideas Vangogh and Phanio.

trunker
01-26-2014, 04:29 PM
I have not had much luck with adwords but I feel that may be my fault. I get clicks but not much for sales. The interest is there for them to click on a display ad with pictures of my trunks but not a good follow through when they reach my page. I will admit that I am not very good with adwords and don't have a good understanding of how to use adwords to its maximum potential. If I use the keyword "antique trunks" I get a poor quality score and I pay through the nose for a click. On the other hand I use "wooden chest" and score high in quality, get a cheap CPC but nobody is searching that keyword. Maybe my website is not written in a way that meshes well with adwords/keywords

As for my website I created it and I am again not very tech savvy. The more I think about it my website it is rather "homemade" looking and I would not feel comfortable purchasing a trunk for $500 to $2,000 dollars. I really do believe in my product and craftsmanship but feel I am lacking the businesses and technology skills to make this really work.

Harold Mansfield
01-26-2014, 04:46 PM
I have not had much luck with adwords but I feel that may be my fault. I get clicks but not much for sales. The interest is there for them to click on a display ad with pictures of my trunks but not a good follow through when they reach my page. I will admit that I am not very good with adwords and don't have a good understanding of how to use adwords to its maximum potential. If I use the keyword "antique trunks" I get a poor quality score and I pay through the nose for a click. On the other hand I use "wooden chest" and score high in quality, get a cheap CPC but nobody is searching that keyword. Maybe my website is not written in a way that meshes well with adwords/keywords

As for my website I created it and I am again not very tech savvy. The more I think about it my website it is rather "homemade" looking and I would not feel comfortable purchasing a trunk for $500 to $2,000 dollars. I really do believe in my product and craftsmanship but feel I am lacking the businesses and technology skills to make this really work.

I think you are in a good position to improve things. You seem to have a clear understanding of where you are missing opportunity. That's more than half the battle. Next, would be to fix those problems. Adwords isn't easy. It's a big learning curve that requires testing, testing and more testing. But no sense in wasting that money now until you get your destination in order.

With any online ads or promo, the destination is the most important part of the whole shibang. Why waste money paying per click, if you know you aren't sending them to a proper sales tool?

What you are experiencing is common. Everyone has to learn it. Ecommerce isn't easy. Presentation, credibility, security, and customer service is all equally important. It's not enough just to throw something up there and hope to get lucky.

From what I see, it looks like a great product. I'm even impressed with the amount of product images that you have. You are definitely doing that part correct.
You are just doing a poor job of presenting it and selling it. That can be fixed.

Betty
01-26-2014, 10:30 PM
Very nice work! Some ideas, none of which involves adwords or other online advertising.

Seek out interior designers and decorators: people who buy lots of furniture over and over, and who might be especially interested in one-of-a-kind pieces. Start building relationships so that you become the go-to person for antique trunks.

Get out and visit every antique store in your area. Talk to the owners. They may be interested in hiring you to restore trunks, or they may sell older, damaged trunks and will pass your information along to the people who buy those trunks. Win win. Leave business cards, brochures or postcards that promote your restoration service so the shops can hand them to their customers. Once you've built relationships with local shops, you can branch out to other areas.

Hire a PR/Marketing person. They can help you get noticed by local media and featured in the local paper and news shows. Even better: hire a PR person who has experience working with national television shows for HGTV, etc. If you could get a designer to use one of your trunks on tv, it could be huge!

AND if others sell trunks that are of lower quality for the same price as yours, raise your prices! People tend to associate luxury pricing with high quality, luxury goods. If you are the best, you are worth more.

Good luck!

trunker
01-27-2014, 02:09 AM
I think you are in a good position to improve things. You seem to have a clear understanding of where you are missing opportunity. That's more than half the battle. Next, would be to fix those problems. Adwords isn't easy. It's a big learning curve that requires testing, testing and more testing. But no sense in wasting that money now until you get your destination in order.

With any online ads or promo, the destination is the most important part of the whole shibang. Why waste money paying per click, if you know you aren't sending them to a proper sales tool?

What you are experiencing is common. Everyone has to learn it. Ecommerce isn't easy. Presentation, credibility, security, and customer service is all equally important. It's not enough just to throw something up there and hope to get lucky.

From what I see, it looks like a great product. I'm even impressed with the amount of product images that you have. You are definitely doing that part correct.
You are just doing a poor job of presenting it and selling it. That can be fixed.

Thank you for all of the ideas and Information. I really appreciate it!

trunker
01-27-2014, 02:24 AM
Very nice work! Some ideas, none of which involves adwords or other online advertising.

Seek out interior designers and decorators: people who buy lots of furniture over and over, and who might be especially interested in one-of-a-kind pieces. Start building relationships so that you become the go-to person for antique trunks.

Get out and visit every antique store in your area. Talk to the owners. They may be interested in hiring you to restore trunks, or they may sell older, damaged trunks and will pass your information along to the people who buy those trunks. Win win. Leave business cards, brochures or postcards that promote your restoration service so the shops can hand them to their customers. Once you've built relationships with local shops, you can branch out to other areas.

Hire a PR/Marketing person. They can help you get noticed by local media and featured in the local paper and news shows. Even better: hire a PR person who has experience working with national television shows for HGTV, etc. If you could get a designer to use one of your trunks on tv, it could be huge!

AND if others sell trunks that are of lower quality for the same price as yours, raise your prices! People tend to associate luxury pricing with high quality, luxury goods. If you are the best, you are worth more.

Good luck!

Thank you Betty. Very good Ideas and I much appreciate your thoughts. I sometimes wonder how much someone is willing to pay for one of my trunks. I tend to over criticize my work. I really believe in quality and expect my trunks to last for 100's of years without any repair or refinishing needed.

Steve B
01-27-2014, 08:31 AM
I think you need to stay local. The shipping costs of mailing a trunk are probably going to make it cost prohibitive for anyone that wants to buy one but can't come by and pick it up. It's also hard for someone to understand the quality if they can't touch it first. I would think your local interior designers would be able to keep you pretty busy.

Harold Mansfield
01-27-2014, 11:22 AM

This is very good advice. Up until now you've been just trying to sell trunks, instead of trying to brand yourself as the go to guy for quality antique trunks.

And you need to get over your self doubts about the quality of your product vs. price. Get right with it and make sure you are comfortable with what you are charging and that it is profitable, and move on. You will never be able to grow your operation successfully and confidently as long as you are doubting your own product.

KristineS
01-27-2014, 01:18 PM
Another idea might be to try setting up some Pinterest boards for your business. Showcase your trunks, different styles you can do, pictures of how people who have bought a trunk have used them if you can get them. I know of tons of boards devoted to home decoration on Pinterest. Mostly people looking for ideas or saving things they want to use in their own home later. Definitely might be worth trying to connect with some of those people.

trunker
01-27-2014, 07:57 PM
I contacted about 30 interior designers today.

trunker
01-27-2014, 08:00 PM
Another idea might be to try setting up some Pinterest boards for your business. Showcase your trunks, different styles you can do, pictures of how people who have bought a trunk have used them if you can get them. I know of tons of boards devoted to home decoration on Pinterest. Mostly people looking for ideas or saving things they want to use in their own home later. Definitely might be worth trying to connect with some of those people.

Thank you Kristine. I have started a Pinterest board and am getting some interest/pins. I read an article about someone that makes unique high end pens by hand and his most successful marketing tool is Pinterest.

trunker
01-27-2014, 08:03 PM
I think you need to stay local. The shipping costs of mailing a trunk are probably going to make it cost prohibitive for anyone that wants to buy one but can't come by and pick it up. It's also hard for someone to understand the quality if they can't touch it first. I would think your local interior designers would be able to keep you pretty busy.

Thank you for the comment Steve. Sometimes shipping is an issue. It can range from 30 to 200 dollars.

Harold Mansfield
01-27-2014, 08:18 PM

Thank you for the comment Steve. Sometimes shipping is an issue. It can range from 30 to 200 dollars.

I looked through your website and I noticed that shipping was included in the price. Don't change that. But I would remove that from the product description, and just put "Free Shipping" on the entire site. Free shipping gets more interest than discounts. And you are also insuring it, which is awesome.

It's also hard for someone to understand the quality if they can't touch it first. I would think your local interior designers would be able to keep you pretty busy.
True. But plenty of people purchase furniture, housewares and even clothing online without trying them on or touching them first. This is where reviews really come in handy. A must have.

huggytree
01-27-2014, 08:51 PM
I collect antique furniture and have owned several antique steamer trunks....they were all nice condition, had the tray inside...I think I paid $100-150 for them at flea markets

Im sure $500 for a fully restored one is a fair price....id like to see the $2,000 one though

I think most people who collect antiques would rather have the unrestored looking one....most are still pretty decent....once restored im not sure if they would even look antique anymore

im sure there's a market for you...but I think its very small and very high end....the average person (like me) is happy with a $150 one- unrestored (I restore all my oak furniture, but left the steamer trunks)

high end furniture stores is where id try to sell my trunks.....I really don't think anyone is searching the internet for $2000 trunks...its something they need to see as part of a living room set and decide they must have it....

as long as your the only one in the country restoring them im sure there's some business out there for you---somewhere

I also think interior designers would be the perfect place for you....find some high end ones

trunker
01-28-2014, 06:25 AM
I collect antique furniture and have owned several antique steamer trunks....they were all nice condition, had the tray inside...I think I paid $100-150 for them at flea markets

Im sure $500 for a fully restored one is a fair price....id like to see the $2,000 one though

I think most people who collect antiques would rather have the unrestored looking one....most are still pretty decent....once restored im not sure if they would even look antique anymore

im sure there's a market for you...but I think its very small and very high end....the average person (like me) is happy with a $150 one- unrestored (I restore all my oak furniture, but left the steamer trunks)

high end furniture stores is where id try to sell my trunks.....I really don't think anyone is searching the internet for $2000 trunks...its something they need to see as part of a living room set and decide they must have it....

as long as your the only one in the country restoring them im sure there's some business out there for you---somewhere

I also think interior designers would be the perfect place for you....find some high end ones

Thank you for your comments Huggytree.

I have several markets within my niche. The trunks I sell for 2,000 to 6,000 are worth that much because they are rare or from a high end manufacturer such as Martin Meiaer, Goyard or Louis Vuitton. Most of the time it is best to not restore these trunks unless they have already been altered by a previous owner in some way. If they have been altered then I do restore them to original condition.

Yes I agree most people want an antique trunk because it looks like an antique. Some people also enjoy owning an antique trunk, or just a trunk in general that is acceptable to display in an office, bedroom or wherever. I have sold several to lawyers that have used them as part of there office decor.

trunker
01-28-2014, 06:31 AM
I looked through your website and I noticed that shipping was included in the price. Don't change that. But I would remove that from the product description, and just put "Free Shipping" on the entire site. Free shipping gets more interest than discounts. And you are also insuring it, which is awesome.

True. But plenty of people purchase furniture, housewares and even clothing online without trying them on or touching them first. This is where reviews really come in handy. A must have.

All of my trunks are Victorian era and it is fairly common for people to purchase this era of furniture online because there is just not a lot of it left. Good thought on the free shipping. Just a side note but if you ever have to ship something large but not freight truck large check with Greyhound Bus Lines. They ship terminal to terminal and its really cheap.

KristineS
01-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Thank you Kristine. I have started a Pinterest board and am getting some interest/pins. I read an article about someone that makes unique high end pens by hand and his most successful marketing tool is Pinterest.

Pinterest can be a fabulous tool if it's used correctly. Just make sure you're working to get your product in front of the right people. You may want to look into starting a business page (http://business.pinterest.com/) instead of personal boards. The business options offer some features that personal boards don't offer, and might be more useful for your purposes.

huggytree
01-28-2014, 08:25 PM
All of my trunks are Victorian era and it is fairly common for people to purchase this era of furniture online because there is just not a lot of it left. Good thought on the free shipping. Just a side note but if you ever have to ship something large but not freight truck large check with Greyhound Bus Lines. They ship terminal to terminal and its really cheap.

I haven't gone to flea markets in 6-7 years...but I remember dozens of trunks....almost every booth had one....to find a nice one can be more difficult if you want a fair price...but I could go to any flea market with $500 and buy 3-4 of them....maybe things have changed in the past 7 years.....or maybe everyone doesn't have access to antique flea markets

I have shipped antique furniture with Greyhound....yes its dirt cheap for a large item

for me I had to drive 45 mins to Milwaukee to pick it up...not sure a high end customer wants to go through this...plus it doesn't fit in a Porsche or Vette

Harold Mansfield
01-28-2014, 08:37 PM
I haven't gone to flea markets in 6-7 years...but I remember dozens of trunks....almost every booth had one....to find a nice one can be more difficult if you want a fair price...but I could go to any flea market with $500 and buy 3-4 of them....maybe things have changed in the past 7 years.....or maybe everyone doesn't have access to antique flea markets

I have shipped antique furniture with Greyhound....yes its dirt cheap for a large item

for me I had to drive 45 mins to Milwaukee to pick it up...not sure a high end customer wants to go through this...plus it doesn't fit in a Porsche or Vette

I'm suprised that you don't understand this more. You yourself target a higher clientele with quality work, using more expensive fixtures that a select clientele is looking for.
Why is it so hard to fathom that there is a high end market out there looking for the quality and craftsmanship of this particular product?
Not everyone is going to pay $500 for a faucet, but I'll bet you know a few people that will.

I see people spend $10k on coffee tables. Surely this fits right in that niche.

trunker
01-29-2014, 02:44 AM

I was just putting the Greyhound shipping out there as general knowledge. I use FedEx for the most part. I understand that you can go and buy a trunk for nothing. I am not selling just a trunk. I completely restore and/or re-purpose these trunks, veneer the outsides with AA grade veneer, cloth line the insides, strip and repaint, etc. All of my trunks are completely torn down to components and reassembled.

Here is a before and after. Then the inside of one.

trunker
01-29-2014, 02:52 AM
Here is another that I did in Cherry veneer.

trunker
01-29-2014, 02:55 AM
Pinterest can be a fabulous tool if it's used correctly. Just make sure you're working to get your product in front of the right people. You may want to look into starting a business page (http://business.pinterest.com/) instead of personal boards. The business options offer some features that personal boards don't offer, and might be more useful for your purposes.

I didn't even know Pinterest had businesses pages. Started working on one today. Thanks again Kristine!

KristineS
01-29-2014, 11:26 AM
I didn't even know Pinterest had businesses pages. Started working on one today. Thanks again Kristine!

Lots of people don't know Pinterest has business pages. They do offer some unique benefits for businesses who use them, so I always try to let people know they're available when I can. Definitely work Pinterest. I think you'll find customers there.

shipwithchris
01-31-2015, 07:00 PM
I would Cold Call furniture outlets and furniture stores. Don't give them too much info as far as website, etc. Get the meeting first and see if they have interest and send them over a nice price list along with an application to set up an account with you. Skip the adwords budge and hire a cold caller for your products. Hit a trade show as well.

Gotta hussle friend. Lots of ideas out there. Go after it!

HooktoWin
02-05-2015, 03:34 AM
Hi Trunker, I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time. I've spent some time looking at your website. You do some really good work! With that in mind, I thought I'd share my thoughts and discuss the problems I see.

Okay, here we go.

1. Free and paid traffic sources.
I'd need more information to be sure but it sounds a lot like your headaches start with your target audience (people who are willing and able to buy). It sounds like you don't have the information you need on your target audience; it also sounds like you're shotgunning your offer across the Internet, instead of focusing intently on the customers that want to buy (and can afford) your trunks.

2. No use of triggers
Language and verbiage on your site tells me what you do. There's no emotion, no psychological cues, nothing to attract my attention. Contractors do this all the time; their marketing is dry and very utilitarian e.g. mechanical contractor | residential | commerical | industrial 555-1234. They're asking you to call, but failing to explain why you should.

3. No discussion about the problem
Problems attract our attention. People focus on problems, that's why news anchors and gossip mags Lead with the problem. Immediately grabs your customers attention, giving your solution context. A solution without a problem is irritating to your customer.

4. Too many solutions
Customers look for the solution when you present a problem. Doing this means they're aware of the fact that they have a problem and they need help. You're focusing on two very different customers. Are diy customers willing to spend $500-$2000 on a trunk? What about customers willing to spend that kind of money? Are they interested in building or restoring a trunk themselves? Not likely. This doesn't mean you can't go after both. However going after both at the same time creates a lot of problems.

5. No risk reversals
Every transaction comes with risk (even when it's free). When inexperienced customers make a decision to buy they feel fear. "what if I make a mistake? What if this guy steals my money and I don't get my trunk?" I see nothing on your site that reverses the risk to your customer. You'll need to remove the risk to your customer before they feel safe to buy.

6. Presentation mismatch
Most people believe an attractive design is all you need. But presentation is about more than how you look. It's a mix of tangible and intangible factors working together. When tangible and intangible factors agree your customers uneasiness decreases; they give you a chance to make your case, explaining why they should buy from you. Your asking price is $500-$2000. The problem here is that your tangible and intangible factors don't match. You're asking for that kind of money, but your website doesn't look like that kind of money. This creates doubt.

Here's why this concerns me:

You're spending time and money on traffic, that's important. But you don't have the mechanisms you need in place to convert that traffic to money. As it stands you're losing a lot of time and money.
It looks like you don't have the information you need on your target audience. When you have the right research you know where to market your products and services. You know where your target audience spends their time.
It also means that you're overpaying on expensive traffic sources when you could be getting more bang for your buck with an effective strategy.

There's a few more issues here, but I have a habit of overwhelming people so I'll stop here for now.

Hope this helps,

Andrew