PDA

View Full Version : 6 basic questions from 9 engineers starting a new venture together

Engineer
02-05-2014, 08:52 PM
I am an engineer with no business background except for one engineering economics class, one accounting class, and one finances class. I am new to this forum. I read a few of the threads regarding partnerships and profit sharing but have not found the answers to some of my questions. So here is my situation:

About 4 months ago, 9 engineers, including myself, decided to start an engineering group. None of us have any business experience. The purpose of the group is to use our engineering expertise to implement sustainable ideas in the Caribbean where we all grew up. The group needs to generate profit/income as well in the process. We all live in different states in the US (NY, NJ, KY, MD). Keep in mind that we are all between 20 and 30 years old so some of us are still in school, others are married with kids. So we have different lifestyles, priorities, and availability.

We decided upfront that financial investment should be equal. Since we were unsure what projects we would work on and how much money would be required, each member agreed to put in $20 month in a common bank account. Not much but so far we have about $1000, which could pay for some required fees down the road.

Now that we are actually trying to move forward with a project, things don’t seem as simple as we anticipated. We have decided to build a small utility vehicle and if successful, produce more. Initial investment (needed now) for just prototyping would be $25k to $40k. Then if we are successful, 2 years from now, another $50k to $100k would need to be invested to establish a small machine shop capable of producing a few vehicles a year. The machine shop would fabricate other things too for cash flow.

Some group members are also doing research on renewable energy and technology. We do not want to focus on only one project in case one does not pan out but also just because not everyone is into building a vehicle. We are not all mechanical engineers after all.

Technically, we might not see any positive cash flow until 2018 from the utility vehicle project. Some cash flow may come from the other projects we will be working on between now and 2018.

Here are my questions:

1) How do we account for the difference in number of hours (labor) being invested between now and 2018? Some of us can put in 35 hrs a week now while others can only put in 5. We want it to be fair.
2) What deal can we work out with third party sponsors/partners (equity/profit %)? Because none of us can invest $40k now, we may need to look for sponsors or other partners that can either bring in some business experience and/or the cash.
3) When do we get an accountant and/or lawyer involved?
4) When do we officially create an LLC or other type of company?
5) Would setting the group up as a “non-for-profit organization” an option?
6) Do we register in the US and/or in the Caribbean?

Your input would be much appreciated. The design of the vehicle is practically completed. It is time to look for the founding source and start fabrication.

Freelancier
02-06-2014, 07:44 AM
3) When do we get an accountant and/or lawyer involved?

Before you got this far, optimally... but now would be as good a time as any. You guys are edging sideways into a business while focusing on the cool stuff, instead of getting your business ducks in a row first. That's going to end up biting you in the butt when you start to try to put a business structure in place.

1) How do we account for the difference in number of hours (labor) being invested between now and 2018?

Yep, that's one of those "business structure" issues you guys need to deal with before you start investing, not after. Once there's real money and real work involved, there's a good chance you'll end up with hurt feelings and a partner or two dropping out if the answers to your questions aren't 100% satisfactory to everyone... and the answers never are 100% satisfactory to everyone.

KristineS
02-06-2014, 01:15 PM
I'd say the answer to question 3 is "now". It's lovely to think you can settle legal and financial matters with a handshake and an agreement to be fair, but it doesn't always work out that way. You need to get your legal and financial structure in place before things really start rolling, not after. I'd find a good corporate attorney and a good financial adviser and pick both their brains extensively.

Engineer
02-08-2014, 11:47 AM
Thanks guys for the feedback. Lots of conversation within the group is taking place this week. Hopefully we can come up with a plan in a week or so.
I purposely did not include in my first post that all 9 engineer were brothers, sisters, and cousins. So it's a family endeavor. I know how hard or how bad of a rep family business have but that is one of the reasons why we are not even sure if it should be setup as a straight business venture.

I didn't want all the feedback to be about family businesses begin risky but maybe that can help explain why we may have been going at it side ways.

Freelancier
02-08-2014, 01:20 PM
Even if you weren't family -- but especially if you are family or friends -- you always get the business structure in place when there's more than one person involved. It's just common sense: you want to make sure everyone has the same set of ground rules about their role in the business. It's in the talking about the rules where many people figure out whether they want to be in business with someone else or not.

It's like getting married. Do you talk about whether you want kids after you're pregnant?