PDA

View Full Version : A new country so where do I start

Paper Lover
02-06-2014, 10:04 PM
I have moved across the world to Australia. Although my credentials (M Ed) are recognized on paper here, I have been told that in order to work here, I would need Australian credentials. Now, that would be fine if the jobs required it, but it is more of a suggestion to get me in the door. It would only be bec the Oz university credentials would look good on paper. I have 10 years of university and 20 years of work behind me. I don't want any more university courses that I don't need or already have just to put myself out there. I would appreciate any input about this. I would like to do some writing- maybe a blog about teaching kids and/or would like to work with adults teaching them how to work with kids. I have also been recognized in my field with awards and so don't feel like I should have to jump more hoops or pay thousands of dollars for something I already have. I also don't want to spend time at university as I am no kid and want to just get going. Australia, for those who don't know this, does tend to be wary of outsiders so it is really a culture thing that I am up against so even doing volunteer work is not as easy as it sounds. Thank you for any input.

vangogh
02-07-2014, 12:11 AM
I'm not entirely sure what you're wanting to do. Are you looking to go into business for yourself? You mention writing and a blog. If that's something you'd like to do it's easy enough to get started. If you're not sure how to set up a blog we can help with suggestions and point you in the right direction.

If you're looking to get a job my guess is you aren't going to have much choice other than getting Australian credentials. I agree you shouldn't have to, but if that's what it takes to get hired it's probably what you have to do.

The idea of teaching kids online might turn out to be a great one. It'll take time to get going and probably more time to make decent money running the site, but it something that can be done.