PDA

View Full Version : paying for a google maps zip code listing

huggytree
02-07-2014, 02:33 PM
google contacted me today about paying to be on google maps in different zip codes

since I don't live in the city my business is named after I thought it may be a good idea to buy that cities zip code

to me this sounds like a no brainer....for a plumber I would think google maps is #1

any thoughts? (I don't know the cost yet)

LeadMaster
02-07-2014, 03:24 PM
It is probably something ideal to try since Google maps is so frequently used for seeking services. Yelp is another location where service boundaries can be changed and really impact the amount of traffic your page receives.

Wozcreative
02-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Was it google or was it some "affiliate" of google that contacted you?

billbenson
02-07-2014, 06:21 PM
Was it google or was it some "affiliate" of google that contacted you?

I'd be careful that you are really dealing with Google on this one. It kind of smells like spam

huggytree
02-07-2014, 08:53 PM
someone contacted me on the phone and said they were from Google maps...it was a computer voice and got transferred to a woman....I made an appointment with them tomorrow...they said it takes 40 minutes to go over

they said they were from Google....and I got a confirming email from them too

MyITGuy
02-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Honestly, doesn't sound like something Google would do. Everything I've seen, they do to provide accurate results. Skewing that data by having businesses 'buy' into extra zip codes doesn't sound like Google to me...especially when they provide a means for you to get listed on Google Maps and provide your service area for free.

Honestly, it sounds like the bad kind of SEO practices we've been telling you to avoid for awhile now...

tallen
02-07-2014, 10:30 PM
someone contacted me on the phone and said they were from Google maps...it was a computer voice and got transferred to a woman....
they said they were from Google....and I got a confirming email from them too

I've gotten those calls, too.... robo call transferring me to a woman saying they are from google maps. After confirming my business details they ask if I am the owner. When I tell them no, the owner is not available, can I take a message, they usually just hang up. Next time they call, I will tell them the (near) truth that we are a corporation and that we don't have an owner, we have shareholders, and I can assure the caller that none of our shareholders would want to talk to them, and wouldn't be able to help them anyway, rather they would just refer the caller to one of the corporate officers....

Study the e-mail header carefully. I have a hard time believing it is really from Google.

Brian Altenhofel
02-08-2014, 11:40 AM
I get those all the time. Google doesn't do that.

The only online listing site that I've had legitimate calls from is Yellow Pages, and they're relentless even when I tell them I'm not interested and that their offerings beyond a listing don't fit my business model.

Usually, you can Google the phone number and find out if it's a scam or legit based on other reports.

Wozcreative
02-08-2014, 12:23 PM
Keep in mind now that your "SEO" friends know about you, they may be doing something that is getting you strange hits on your site. Whatever their SEO tactics may be, you are now going to have to deal with a lot of phone calls trying to sell you things. That's just what happens when your more available on google.

Be VERY weary of the emails you are getting too. You'll be getting a lot of emails to log into paypal to "update your profile". There is also an Apple email going around asking people to do the same thing.

Google wouldn't spend 40 minutes on the phone with someone to sell them something. Sounds like you are being phished out. I would be weary of what information you've already provided for these people over the phone.
If you have questions about it, i suggest googling it. When I google "google maps called me", all I found was phishing reports.

huggytree
02-08-2014, 07:07 PM
thanks for all the advice

I most likely will be busy anyways when they call.......glad I threw it off all of you.....sure sounded like a good idea

so what are these guys selling me? if they say they can get me in any zip code on google whats the scam?

bizinchina
02-10-2014, 10:46 AM
I have never heard of this before , sounds kind weird too me , I don't even thing google sells products like this , they give you products like this for free so the can dominate the search with your information and listings. Most of the local search results are taken up with ads and google places listings, but I have never heard of google selling products like this ... It's good that other forum members here smell something fishy about this too