PDA

View Full Version : Should I be packaging?

Rotawee
02-11-2014, 11:00 PM
So I've been selling quite a few items through etsy and local shops. I've been contacting major online retailers trying to get a wholesale order under way. I've been thinking about packaging my products, but I'm just not sure what would be the best option for my products. Each piece is handmade and one of a kind, but falls under a certain size I try to follow. Currently I just walk into a shop with my organizing case, and managers just pick through the selection with no packaging, and online sales are all bubblewrapped before shipment.
This is the main product I'm trying to market. I like the idea of a small clear plastic box with some cotton padding, almost like you would package a gemstone (my mother is a jeweler) But I don't feel it would be the most cost effective. Would a small plastic baggie with item details on a card be acceptable, or way too cheap? These retail for $11 and shooting for a $5.50 wholesale price. This is a patented and trademarked product, so I'd like to scale it up relatively large.
I would also love some feedback in any and all areas of operating a small business. Here is my etsy shop if you would like to check it out and give me some feedback
https://www.etsy.com/shop/EarthGrownAccessory
and my website
Earth Grown Accessories exotic wood creations for smoking and other purposes (http://www.earthgrownaccessories.com)

Thanks everybody!

vangogh
02-12-2014, 03:31 AM
Welcome to the forum Rotawee. You have nice products. One thing I noticed on your website is you mention selling premium products. If that's the message you want to convey I wouldn't go cheap on the packaging. Obviously it needs to be cost effective for you, but keep in mind the message you'd be sending. You could also add a couple of dollars to the cost of your products to cover some of the cost of packaging.

As far as where to get packaging from I really don't know. However, I did a search on Google for "where can i get packaging for my product" and there seems to be plenty of results from companies that offer packaging as well as people writing articles with helpful advice.

Hopefully someone will chime in behind me who can offer more specifics.

KristineS
02-12-2014, 11:51 AM
Are you looking for packaging you can use or packaging that will have shelf appeal for retailers. Those are two different things. If you're creating a premium product, you want the packaging to look premium. You might be on to something with the jewelry comparison. Your products are unique and pretty, so you probably would want to develop some packaging that highlights the beauty and uniqueness of the product. Don't think plastic and cardboard. Think something higher end than that.

If you're looking to have your products in retail stores, than the issue of packaging becomes a bit different. Retail stores need to maximize sales in every square foot of retail space, so they're looking for packaging that is eye catching and showcases the product, while still taking up a relatively small amount of space. Every inch of space that is devoted to a particular product has to pay for itself in sales. My guess is that your product would do well in higher end tobacco shops which, again, would lead to a higher end more premium looking package.

I would say that you should visit some higher end tobacco and cigar shops if you can and see how products are displayed and packaged there.

Rotawee
02-12-2014, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm looking for packaging that has good shelf appeal as well as something easily organizable for wholesale orders. I've been looking at boxes and stuff online and I think I'm going to end up going with a recycled cardboard bottom with a clear plastic top. It's just turning out hard to find the dimensions that I need. Most are only 1" deep, where as I need over 1". Would you suggest a sticker on the outside to identify the product or a card on the inside? I'm going to include the name of product, wood species used and some info on it, and of course business name and web url. Perhaps I should split it up and just put the wood info on a piece of paper inside the box. Thanks again!
I should probably also mention that my main competitor has really nice store displays, and I've thought about making displays to go along with large orders.