PDA

View Full Version : Business 101 type courses

mariesours
02-20-2014, 06:49 PM
Hello!
I was just promoted at my company that is still in the start up phase but backed by an established company. I am now in a business decision making role but have never taken a business courses so I need to find an Intro to Business or Business 101 class that is either online or in Orange County, CA. Can anyone recommend one that is not through a college and lasts an entire semester? I'm thinking no longer than 8-weeks. If anyone can recommend one that would be very helpful!
Thank you!
-Rae

vangogh
02-21-2014, 02:20 AM
Welcome to the forum Rae. Congrats on the promotion. I don't know specific courses in your area, but one place to look is the SBA. SCORE is another. I don't think either offers 8 week classes, but they do have helpful information. I know you want something that's not a college course, but have you considered continuing education courses at your college. They're not the same as a typical college course. They're for adults and usually meet one night a week for so many weeks.

There's tons of information online. I don't know of a specific course to send you to, but if you spend a couple of hours searching one night for business 101 type things you can probably find some online courses. You'll also find a lot of resources you want to come back to.

I just search a little myself and found the Orange County Business Development Center (http://www.ocsbdc.org/). I'm not seeing courses, but I see a lot of half day seminars. It's possible you can find enough of them to schedule your own course.

Another idea is just to visit a bookstore or check Amazon for a few business 101 books. Read 3 or 4 books and you'll likely get all the information you're looking for. Combined with a few seminars it might offer what you want.

Sean_DeSilva
02-22-2014, 09:18 AM
if you are willing to go the informal route I can recommend the personal MBA (The Personal MBA - Master the Art of Business (http://personalmba.com)). I have some good stuff on my website also for starting entrepreneurs.