PDA

View Full Version : looking for good 'materials and design' forums, to consult with people, any ideas?

eddydeedee
04-25-2014, 05:05 PM
Hi, just new to this, I am actually in the primary steps of business development. I am wondering whether anyone might know of any online forums where I might be able to discuss materials and design for certain structures I am hoping to complete and eventually sell, to complete them I need new ideas, in materials and structures. Or if they exist at all.
- if anyone knows any forums that come close to this I would most definitely be interested.
thanks
Eddydeedee

Fulcrum
04-25-2014, 05:08 PM
Without knowing a little more about what you want to do, I'm not really sure we can help.

If you're willing, can you give a little more information about the materials you are looking to use?

eddydeedee
04-25-2014, 05:38 PM
for sure, thanks for asking, I'd have to hold off on some detail though;
- it's a kids structure, made out of pvc pipe and needing hanging curtains. Since it would be used for indoors, I need to consult about materials; for beginning, what materials for the curtains (fire retardant/cheapest/colors) and secondly, ways of hanging curtains so they are easy to remove (what kind of hooks to use, simplest/best ways to attach hooks to the curtains) - that kind of stuff - so I am hoping to find forums where that kind of creativity and knowledge of materials might be discussed, but I don't know if might exist

Fulcrum
04-25-2014, 11:00 PM
I understand why you need to withhold some details, but I think you have provided enough info for me to give a little direction. I do not think there are any general forums that will address what you want to do.

PVC is simple enough to put together. You might be able to ask a retired plumber to show you the best methods for cutting and gluing the pipe.

As for curtains (and any other materials), you have to look at things differently than just price. As the cost goes down, more often than not, so does the quality. Fire retardant material isn't all that cheap as you are looking primarily at wool and cotton for the curtains.

When it comes to hanging curtains, you probably should avoid using hooks or sharp corners for liability reasons. Kids are kids and they will get hurt on those points. Velcro is probably going to be your best option.

Finally, the best way to to make something is often the simplest. If you find yourself stuck trying to solve a problem, take a step back, put your hands in your pockets, close your eyes and try to visualize what you are trying to accomplish. If that doesn't work, go on to something else until you can clear your mind and come back with a fresh attitude.

I hope this helps you get started.