PDA

View Full Version : export US products to the UK.. is there money in it?

gazzy1988
04-28-2014, 10:22 PM
Hi everyone, im new to the forum and the lovely United states. So my idea is to export such items as shoes, sports jerseys and food to the uk just to make some extra cash on the side. You might wonder why food but a box of lucky charms sells in the UK for around $12-$14. Now the fashion side of things is what i think could make some decent $$$, as people in the UK always want shoes that are only sold in the US and are willing to pay the extra fee. so my question is does anybody have experience in this filed and is it worth it due to the import tax you will have to pay?

Thanks

Harold Mansfield
04-29-2014, 10:03 AM
Hi everyone, im new to the forum and the lovely United states. So my idea is to export such items as shoes, sports jerseys and food to the uk just to make some extra cash on the side. You might wonder why food but a box of lucky charms sells in the UK for around $12-$14. Now the fashion side of things is what i think could make some decent $$$, as people in the UK always want shoes that are only sold in the US and are willing to pay the extra fee. so my question is does anybody have experience in this filed and is it worth it due to the import tax you will have to pay?

Thanks

This doesn't sound like a "make some extra cash on the side" kind of endeavor. It sounds like a large endeavor that will require a lot of legal, tax, shipping, and distribution knowledge and preparation.

gazzy1988
04-29-2014, 12:02 PM
This doesn't sound like a "make some extra cash on the side" kind of endeavor. It sounds like a large endeavor that will require a lot of legal, tax, shipping, and distribution knowledge and preparation.

just for example my friend in the UK wanted 3 pairs of jordans that he cannot get in the uk, the retail at $64. each so i charged him $84, which he agreed to, he also agreed to pay for the shipping and VAT in the UK. SO ITS JUST A QUICK $60 FOR ME.

Harold Mansfield
04-29-2014, 01:38 PM
just for example my friend in the UK wanted 3 pairs of jordans that he cannot get in the uk, the retail at $64. each so i charged him $84, which he agreed to, he also agreed to pay for the shipping and VAT in the UK. SO ITS JUST A QUICK $60 FOR ME.

So then like a broker? Well, looks like you have the process down, what's the problem? Just finding out the tax information? Seems like that should be easy enough to find out with a phone call. No one can tell you if it's worth pursuing as a full time business. Do you think you can attract enough clients to do it full time?

trunker
05-01-2014, 10:29 AM
Check out eBays new export program, Global Shipping Program (http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html). They handle all of the shipping, taxes and customs paperwork. You send it to eBays facility and they forward it to the buyer. You get your payment 100 percent of the time even if your product is lost or damaged in transit. I have a lot of interest in my products from Europe and have explored the idea of shipping there but it is to expensive for me because of the product size.