PDA

View Full Version : Help - trying to add inventory and user login to website

newbizowner
05-19-2014, 11:43 AM
Hello,

Our small business is trying to update to having a more real-time inventory management system as well as allowing customers to login to create a username and login to our website.

We currently have an excel sheet with our stock but would like to be able to have our site show what we have in real time. Our current solution is to take the data from our current inventory pivot table into a separate excel sheet and e-mail that list to customers. This solution is time consuming given the number of products we carry so to do this would require spending a couple of hours every single day. Currently we send our stock e-mail once a month so a better solution is needed.

What would be the best way to go about adding a real-time inventory page as well as a user login page?

Freelancier
05-19-2014, 12:01 PM
Step 1: find a good local software development consultant/freelancer who you feel you can work with to create what you want.

Brian Altenhofel
05-19-2014, 09:27 PM
For real-time inventory, you're going to have to move your system of record out of the Excel spreadsheet. That means that either locally-installed inventory control software or your website must become the system of record. As long as your inventory control software has a means to either send updates or be polled for updates, your website can update in real-time off of your inventory control software.

The choice of inventory control software might depend on your industry - some industries actually have quirks that need specialized software.

Full disclosure: I'm a web developer that mostly does e-commerce work integrating with third-party data sources.

KyleSzives
06-22-2014, 09:06 PM
I'd recommend a platform called Shopify. They handle all the hosting, you would just have to contact a design company to create the design and upload the template. After that, you have a very good and solid e-commerce solution.

Gabe
07-18-2014, 06:51 PM
Like Kyle said, try out Shopify.

Harold Mansfield
07-20-2014, 11:19 AM
Let's start with the basics. How is your website built now? Are you using any kind of CMS like WordPress or Joomla? Are you using any kind of site builder from your hosting company?
Do you already have an Ecommerce solution on it, if so what are you using?

cathyc100
09-14-2014, 04:04 PM
There are numerous shopping carts out there ie, shopify, zencart. That sounds like a good way for you to go. You can have a sign up made, it is code. I am having a login made for another client and I can see if that same code can be used for anyone and if so I will let you know and would be happy to work with you.

Websites and Marketing Services - Home (http://www.webmkter.com)