PDA

View Full Version : Freelancing Whilst At University

batinica
05-26-2014, 06:17 PM
So I am wanting to do some freelance work whilst at university and after looking into it I am unsure what steps I need to take.

Do I need to register as a sole trader? If I don't can I still invoice customers?

I am particularly confused about the money I will need to pay if I do set up as a sole trader because I expect to make at best around a £1000 (still, highly unlikely) so I gather I won't need to pay VAT or Corporation Tax but what about National Insurance? Would I still be expected to pay this as I would not be making that much.

As you can gather I am very confused so any help you can offer would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

David Hunter
05-26-2014, 09:21 PM
Hi Batinica,

I say... worry about getting your first client before thinking about registering the business, taxes (for this talk with an account), etc.

batinica
05-26-2014, 10:47 PM
Hi Batinica,

I say... worry about getting your first client before thinking about registering the business, taxes (for this talk with an account), etc.

A very good point! The reason I started considering all of this though is because I was approached (meaning the first client is not an issue) and this sparked the idea that there was an opportunity. The only reason I raise the concerns in my original post is that the person who approached me told me that it would be important they could invoice me so that it could come out of their official budget. So any light that you guys could shed would be much appreciated.