PDA

View Full Version : Should every small business have a website?

websitebuildersteacher
06-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Do you think every small business should have a stand-alone website? I mean not a profile on Facebook or similar, but a website under it's own domain name?

I think not every business needs a website. For example it doesn't make sense to advertise a local greengrocer's shop online. Or maybe I'm wrong? What is your opinion?

Harold Mansfield
06-19-2014, 05:55 PM
Yes, every business should have a website. Period. All of the excuses for not having one are just that, excuses.

billbenson
06-19-2014, 06:11 PM
I agree with Harold. Facebook may work great now, but what if they change something in two years and your 1000 posts don't do you any good anymore? You have no control. With your own website you have control.

Wozcreative
06-19-2014, 09:40 PM
Yes. Your business should be available to everyone at all times of the day and night. Think of it as an additional office.

Paul
06-20-2014, 12:18 AM
Most businesses need to make use of the internet and electronic communications to some extent but many don’t need a “web presence”. Many shops like convenience stores and local eateries don’t benefit from a website because that’s not how they attract customers. Shops that depend on foot traffic really have no need.

There are also many non-consumer businesses that don’t need a web presence. Some businesses, like mine, depend more on personal referrals and live networking. I had tried a site and facebook ,LinkedIn and twitter but took them all down very quickly. They just didn’t serve a good purpose and made me look more “commercial” than I wanted. My typical client just doesn’t come from the internet.

billbenson
06-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Still don't agree Paul. While a website may not bring in business today, restringing a domain and a two page site cost's pretty much nothing. It's something you can use in the future.

Take the one of abou 20 Chinese restaurants in my area. Will ordering online make them business? Probably not. But when I do a google search do I know they are there and I am talking to the place I want to drive by in 15 min and have my food?

Dentists don't generally need a website other than a page on the doctor, directions, and hours. They still need a site.

Aside from that, you can also create additional revenue streams with a web site.

In all cases get a site, put up a page or two and let it age.

Paul
06-20-2014, 12:20 PM
Dentists and Chinese restaurants probably should have web sites so you can check out the menu and the dentist. But, the gas station on the highway, the coffee counter in the office building and the newsstand on the corner probably don’t have much use for one.

In today’s world most businesses can benefit from a web presence, but I don’t think it’s necessary for every business.

Freelancier
06-20-2014, 01:47 PM
In today’s world most businesses can benefit from a web presence, but I don’t think it’s necessary for every business.
We've done this discussion before... haven't we?

It's a question of whether the same marketing tactic will work for EVERY business, and the answer is no. There hasn't been invented a single marketing tactic that will work for every single business out there.

When approaching the question, you don't worry about tactic. You worry about strategy and then let your tactics come from that.

If you're a dentist, you want an online presence so that people can research you and how great a job you're doing for your clients. You want potential customers to find you, to be able to call you. So accessibility (having people who don't drive by find you), equipment, testimonials, services offered: those are your marketing messages you want to focus on as part of your strategy to win.

As Paul points out, if you're a mini-mart, you want people driving by to see you and stop. You don't worry so much about someone searching for you on the web, because no one searches for mini-marts on the web unless they're looking for your location and you can do that with Google Places (or whatever they just renamed it to) without having to put together a web site. For the mini-mart, it's all about location, layout, and signage: those are your marketing messages that matter.

So... start with the marketing strategy: what are the top 5 ways your best potential customers will find you and stick with you... and how do you exploit that?

ashleyidesign
06-20-2014, 08:54 PM
There actually is one marketing tactic that works for every business: customer service.

Usually things like mini-marts and coffee carts are chains, and guaranteed the chain has their own site, just not one specific to the location.

Generally though, you want a website. Having a well-designed and informative site will instill trust in the visitor and they'll be more likely to give you a ring or send you an email.

David Hunter
06-20-2014, 08:59 PM
Every business should have a website. No reason not to!

Paul
06-21-2014, 12:54 AM
Every business should have a website. No reason not to!

Websites aren't the answer for every business. Having a website just for the sake of it when NO ONE will ever need it, look for it, see it or miss it if there isn't one just doesn't make sense.

Brian Altenhofel
06-21-2014, 01:01 AM
Websites aren't the answer for every business. Having a website just for the sake of it when NO ONE will ever need it, look for it, see it or miss it if there isn't one just doesn't make sense.

For many in my generation, if you're not online you don't exist, no matter how many word-of-mouth references or business cards we get, even from trusted peers. We don't call people without exerting our own small effort to find out more about them in the information age. We get handed a card - we go to the website and Google the person's name. Someone drops a name - we Google them. We're pretty blind to directory sites like YellowPages, Manta, and MerchantCircle.

Of course, I have zero clue what business you're in or if your target market is expected to have easy Internet access.

Paul
06-21-2014, 02:00 AM
I realize many use the internet for info and that it is an important marketing tool for many businesses. But, who would ever need to find the website for the gas station on the turnpike or the hamburger stand at the beach. Businesses with captive audiences or impulse retail in highly trafficked locations just don’t benefit from a web site.

I use the internet constantly myself for info and almost every business I ever worked with had a website. However, some businesses, like mine, are tied into existing networks for referrals that don’t involve internet. I am a business “consultant” for specific longer term projects so I'm not seeking a constant flow of new clients from the internet. An unusual situation I suppose, but it is a case where a website is somewhat useless.

Wozcreative
06-21-2014, 08:40 AM
Sometimes I'd want to get the address/phone number of the local gas station. Or if I'm on a road trip and want to go to a gas station with a tim hortons in it because I want an ice cap.
Or heck, what if I have to go to the bathroom super quick?! Googling the gas station could tell me if there is an available bathroom?

Point is, I'd like to google you.

What if I am selling a fish tank on kijiji and the closest "safe" place would probably be a gas station? I'd want to google that!

The answer to my problems is usually and always the internet. When I'm sick? I google. When I have a question? I google. When I'm looking for something? I google. Shopping? I Google to compare prices. Going to a new office? I google and look at street view of the building (I'm a visual person so I'd rather "see" what the building looks like).

And if you are a consultant like you mentioned, you damn right I 'd be googling you to find out who you are, what you've done, etc. If the information is available to me, I will then be able to create my own conclusion. I don't like mystery when I am hiring someone.

Paul
06-21-2014, 11:00 AM
On a road trip you can Google Tim Horton, but I don’t think you’d pass by the highway station if you need gas because it doesn’t have a site. Would you Google the hamburger stand while you are laying on the beach right in front of it? On a road trip you would likely use the internet to plan your trip but are you going to Google the ice cream or trinket shop that you are walking by on the boardwalk at a seaside resort? Some businesses just aren’t destination shops that attract customers online. Like I said, many businesses already have captive audiences or sufficient walk by traffic and don’t need a web site.

Not all consulting or service type businesses are looking for clients from the web. It’s just not a useful way to attract clients for me, although In some cases I do use the internet to seek out potential clients proactively. I work almost exclusively with micro cap companies that are raising capital by going public and/or businesses that want to franchise or license their product or business model. Most of my referrals come from within that community through attorneys or marketing people who already have the client, not from clients who would Google me first. There are other reasons a web site is not beneficial for me but I won’t bore you further.

There are other businesses like property appraisers or insurance adjusters who get their business from mortgage banks and insurance carriers that they are already affiliated with. Although they may have a web site it’s not likely to be an important part of their business.

I LOVE THE INTERNET! I just don’t agree with the blanket statement that every business “needs” a web site.

Harold Mansfield
06-21-2014, 11:53 AM

"If you build it, they will come" is wishful thinking. Just like your business cards don't magically jump out of your pocket and into people's hands, neither does your website.
You argument is flawed. You make assumptions that it won't do you any good as an excuse for not doing it.

Bottom line is, it's 2014. It's a digital, mobile world. Marketing has changed. Either you're in it, or your competition will capitalize on your resistance to embrace the tools that you have at your disposal and take the business you could have had.

Now, if you are saying that you just don't know how to use a website to your advantage, I can respect that. But to not do it and then make excuses for not doing it like "no one will read it" means that you don't understand why you need it or what you can do with it. That's OK. But your reasoning for not having a website is flawed.

I understand your argument about the road side stand that relies solely on walk in traffic. That may be an exception. But if it were my roadside stand, I'd be selling products online, reaching out to people traveling the area, and getting in travel guides....not just waiting for people to walk in the door.

Which is exactly what Tim Horton's does. They don't just sit back and wait for people to come to them anymore like it's the 50's.

Paul
06-21-2014, 01:15 PM
"If you build it, they will come" is wishful thinking. Just like your business cards don't magically jump out of your pocket and into people's hands, neither does your website.
You argument is flawed. You make assumptions that it won't do you any good as an excuse for not doing it.

Bottom line is, it's 2014. It's a digital, mobile world. Marketing has changed. Either you're in it, or your competition will capitalize on your resistance to embrace the tools that you have at your disposal and take the business you could have had.

Now, if you are saying that you just don't know how to use a website to your advantage, I can respect that. But to not do it and then make excuses for not doing it like "no one will read it" means that you don't understand why you need it or what you can do with it. That's OK. But your reasoning for not having a website is flawed.

I understand your argument about the road side stand that relies solely on walk in traffic. That may be an exception. But if it were my roadside stand, I'd be selling products online, reaching out to people traveling the area, and getting in travel guides....not just waiting for people to walk in the door.

Which is exactly what Tim Horton's does. They don't just sit back and wait for people to come to them anymore like it's the 50's.

I appreciate your passion for the internet marketing and knowledge of web sites , but you should not assume I don’t use a web site because I don’t know how!

The internet is a great tool for many purposes, I love it and I use it extensively for research and communications. I’m not arguing against it, I am just not agreeing with the notion that every business “needs” a web site. You assume that every business depends on an online presence. It’s just not true.

The internet is very important to the operation of my business and critical for the fulfillment of my jobs, but my clientele and business does NOT come from the internet. My market niche is very narrow and specific within particular industries. A web site would not attract quality clients for me from within that niche.

As for competition capitalizing on my lack of a web site, honestly the Internet is not my marketing battle ground. My marketing is based primarily on my relationships and reputation within an existing business community. Those relationships are developed through personal networking and the reputation is based on performance and results, not on a web site.

This isn’t about what I do, but its one example of a business that doesn’t “need” a web site.

Harold Mansfield
06-21-2014, 03:25 PM
The internet is a great tool for many purposes, I love it and I use it extensively for research and communications. I’m not arguing against it, I am just not agreeing with the notion that every business “needs” a web site. You assume that every business depends on an online presence. It’s just not true.

Look, you can try really hard and I'm sure you'll come up with some obscure business niche and situation where a website isn't going to do a lot of good. So if that's what you are doing, then you win. We don't need to go back and forth just to prove there's an exception to every rule.

This thread didn't ask "Does this particular business situation need a website?", it asks in general "Should every business have a website" and the answer in general is "yes".

But honestly, you don't NEED anything. You don't need a name, business cards, an email address or any marketing what so ever.
If that's how you want to run it, more power to you. It's your business and your choice. Run it how you want to.

Paul
06-21-2014, 04:47 PM
This thread didn't ask "Does this particular business situation need a website?", it asks in general "Should every business have a website"........".

Exactly my point,it didn't ask if most should, to that i would agree. It asked if every business should, for me the answer is clearly no.

A relatively useless discussion but fun nevertheless Harold!

Brian Altenhofel
06-21-2014, 06:01 PM
But, who would ever need to find the website for the gas station on the turnpike or the hamburger stand at the beach.

Typically when we hit about 1/4 tank, we start looking up gas stations within our refueling window. The ones who we can see their current price will probably get top priority. We only buy from certain fuel providers, and try not to purchase fuel that contains ethanol unless the price spread is enough that the fuel is actually less expensive (which is rare even with current government blending subsidies). We also look for food in the general area to see what there is to eat.

The only people I've ever traveled with that don't do that when traveling outside of familiar territory are my parents.

However, some businesses, like mine, are tied into existing networks for referrals that don’t involve internet. I am a business “consultant” for specific longer term projects so I'm not seeking a constant flow of new clients from the internet. An unusual situation I suppose, but it is a case where a website is somewhat useless.

I'll tell you straight up that I personally won't hire you without one, no matter who referred me to you. I like to do my own research on what a person does on my own time. If one highly trusted source told me to call you, and another less trusted source told me to call another guy, if the other guy has an informative website I'm going to hire the other guy because I didn't have to waste time asking what it was exactly that you could do for me. For me to call someone to just find out what they can do for me requires me to clear 20-30 minutes from my schedule just to attempt the call. I can check the other guy's website while I'm in the bathroom, waiting on a meal, pumping gas, waiting at the bank, and know whether or not those 20-30 minutes for a call will have some sort of positive return.

Freelancier
06-21-2014, 08:31 PM
I still go back to one of my customers who had $70 million in sales and no web site. They didn't need it, their marketing was not going to be helped or hurt by it, so they didn't bother. I have another customer does well over $5 million a year, no web site. They don't really need it, because their list of customers is very small, so calling those potential customers and establishing a personal relationship is a better use of their time and energy.

As Paul said: most businesses probably would be better served by having a web site. B2C pretty much demands it now, although there are still situations where you can skip it. But B2B... it becomes more of a question of whether that marketing tactic will work better than other marketing tactics.

Paul
06-22-2014, 01:37 AM
Typically when we hit about 1/4 tank, we start looking up gas stations within our refueling window....

I'll tell you straight up that I personally won't hire you without one, no matter who referred me to you. ..........For me to call someone to just find out what they can do for me requires me to clear 20-30 minutes from my schedule just to attempt the call.....

To each their own I suppose. When I'm driving on the turnpike I just stop at the next available rest stop to refuel and get a cup of coffee,I don't really need to research it. If I ran a fleet of delivery vehicles then perhaps I would do as you do.

If you couldn't spare 20 minutes to discuss an involved business process, and would prefer to make your decison based on a website, then you simply wouldn't be my target market.

whiteboardvideos
06-22-2014, 04:38 AM
All businesses should have a website and social media pages

ashleyidesign
06-22-2014, 06:43 AM
It completely baffles me to hear that any company doing over a million in sales doesn't have a website. Not even a basic, this is who we are site. How would having a website not help in marketing the company? How do you know that a site wouldn't attract more potential customers without a salesperson lifting a finger?

Freelancier
06-22-2014, 07:26 AM
How do you know that a site wouldn't attract more potential customers without a salesperson lifting a finger?

That's why there are few absolutes in marketing. Because if you really truly understand who your customers are, then you'll truly know exactly which marketing channels will work best for finding those clients. My two customer examples knew exactly who their clients were going to be. It is a finite known set of customers for them. And their potential clients know that there is a finite known set of vendors (for the $70 million firm, the list is about 50 companies in the USA) to provide what they do. If you want to win business in these markets, you go hat-in-hand to the person in charge at these firms and you ask for their business. They aren't going to search for you or even research you on the internet, that's just not their buying model.

Just like if I'm driving down the highway, I'm not researching the mini-mart at the next exit on my phone. I'm looking for signage. Why? BECAUSE I'M DRIVING!! And the mini-marts model is based on that, not on someone researching what mini-mart they want to stop at on their long drive.

Paul
06-22-2014, 01:47 PM
Why would anyone assume that every business wants to post up a website just to say who they are. As Freelancier has said it’s a marketing tool. It’s not a required license to be in business.

There are many B2B businesses that have no use for a website and certainly have no obligation to reveal “who they are” to the general public. There are specialized manufacturers that are well established within their industries and don’t need or even want a website. Many in the financial investment world operate behind the scenes and don’t need or want public exposure. Many companies operate on grants and government contracts that are secured via bids and/or proposals, none of which are influenced by a website. Many businesses operate outside of the consumer community and within their own behind the scenes industries and networks. Again, as Freelancier said, their marketing is completly different than a consumer oriented businesses.

Consumers would certainly research banks and rates online if they were seeking a mortgage loan. But, I doubt Donald Trump sits with his lap top looking for finance deals for his projects, he just calls investors and bank presidents; no web site involved.

Wozcreative
06-22-2014, 02:13 PM
Why would anyone assume that every business wants to post up a website just to say who they are. As Freelancier has said it’s a marketing tool. It’s not a required license to be in business.

There are many B2B businesses that have no use for a website and certainly have no obligation to reveal “who they are” to the general public. There are specialized manufacturers that are well established within their industries and don’t need or even want a website. Many in the financial investment world operate behind the scenes and don’t need or want public exposure. Many companies operate on grants and government contracts that are secured via bids and/or proposals, none of which are influenced by a website. Many businesses operate outside of the consumer community and within their own behind the scenes industries and networks. Again, as Freelancier said, their marketing is completly different than a consumer oriented businesses.

Consumers would certainly research banks and rates online if they were seeking a mortgage loan. But, I doubt Donald Trump sits with his lap top looking for finance deals for his projects, he just calls investors and bank presidents; no web site involved.

Because donald is in an older generation. The new generation uses the web to connect with people the most. An online presence (even if it is just your domain and 1 pager) going to be more and more relevant as my generation ages.

An example of this is the pawn/oddities store not that far from me. You'd think a pawn shop wouldn't need a site, but I absolutely love that they do. They post the coolest stuff on their facebook and link info and pricing on their website.

The hotdog vendor at the beach doesn't have a website, but the owner of the company would. He would post times and days and locations where they are located. He would then post maps of where everyone.

Have you ever tried to partner up with a vendor? Some of them require that you provide a website address so they can look at you and make sure you are a legitimate business that they'd want to do business with.

Harold Mansfield
06-22-2014, 03:50 PM
I'll tell you straight up that I personally won't hire you without one, no matter who referred me to you. I like to do my own research on what a person does on my own time. If one highly trusted source told me to call you, and another less trusted source told me to call another guy, if the other guy has an informative website I'm going to hire the other guy because I didn't have to waste time asking what it was exactly that you could do for me. For me to call someone to just find out what they can do for me requires me to clear 20-30 minutes from my schedule just to attempt the call. I can check the other guy's website while I'm in the bathroom, waiting on a meal, pumping gas, waiting at the bank, and know whether or not those 20-30 minutes for a call will have some sort of positive return.

Yep. And that's what it boils down to. In this day of being able to find information about anything instantly, people aren't going to do your sales and marketing for you and call for more information. They just aren't. Unless you are the only game in town, and even then you are still leaving money on the table by not providing your potential customers with an easy way to find out more about you and instructions on how to do business with you.

You think people just know? Well they don't.
You think "If they're really interested they'll call"? Really? What number? How would they know you exist to even know what number to call?
The Yellow Pages? I just threw my new one in the trash because I already have pages left in the old one that I use as glass cleaning wipes.

What if they weren't interested, but would have been "sold" by more information on the website?

Like I said, it's your business. Run it how you want. No website just creates more opportunity for those that do.

Paul
06-22-2014, 08:50 PM
Because donald is in an older generation. The new generation uses the web to connect with people the most. An online presence (even if it is just your domain and 1 pager) going to be more and more relevant as my generation ages.

An example of this is the pawn/oddities store not that far from me. You'd think a pawn shop wouldn't need a site, but I absolutely love that they do. They post the coolest stuff on their facebook and link info and pricing on their website.

The hotdog vendor at the beach doesn't have a website, but the owner of the company would. He would post times and days and locations where they are located. He would then post maps of where everyone.

Have you ever tried to partner up with a vendor? Some of them require that you provide a website address so they can look at you and make sure you are a legitimate business that they'd want to do business with.

Hi Woz, Your point is well taken. The internet is a great tool. Older and younger generations use it. I use it extensively and I’m an older guy. I have had a web site when I was marketing a certain kind of consulting. It worked fine and I attracted business that way. But, my business focus changed, my target market changed, and a web site now is completely useless for me.

My point about Donald Trump was a simple example, but it is the same for ANY age developer in the same position. Large developers typically don’t need the web to find financing; they are already connected to those types of lenders. Those types of lenders don’t look for clients on the web; they are already connected to the developers through other means.

There are many businesses in certain industries that operate differently. Some don’t want a public profile revealed online. Some industries have their own culture and means of interaction that have nothing to do with web sites or social media.

You have a great site that makes perfect sense for your type of business. You need to have a display of your work to show to prospects. You are responsible for everything from attracting prospects, to closing them to completing the work. My business is entirely different. I am a cog in a machine; I expedite and coordinate certain functions within a larger process. That’s why my referrals come from within an industry, not from the internet.

Freelancier
06-22-2014, 09:00 PM
This is funny: the people who do web sites are saying everyone has to have a web site. I'm shocked!

As a web site developer/designer, you come into contact with 100% of the types of business who need a web site and 0% of the businesses who don't. As a developer, I come into contact with 100% of the types of businesses who need my type of software development and 0% who don't. But I wouldn't even consider generalizing and saying that 100% of all businesses need my type of software development to survive in the modern world. That's just not a realistic assessment of the business world.

Web sites are a marketing tactic, nothing more. If your best potential customers don't look on the web site find someone like you, then that's not the marketing tactic you need to use for your business.

Paul
06-22-2014, 09:04 PM
Yep. And that's what it boils down to. In this day of being able to find information about anything instantly, people aren't going to do your sales and marketing for you and call for more information. They just aren't. Unless you are the only game in town, and even then you are still leaving money on the table by not providing your potential customers with an easy way to find out more about you and instructions on how to do business with you.

You think people just know? Well they don't.
You think "If they're really interested they'll call"? Really? What number? How would they know you exist to even know what number to call?
The Yellow Pages? I just threw my new one in the trash because I already have pages left in the old one that I use as glass cleaning wipes.

What if they weren't interested, but would have been "sold" by more information on the website?

Like I said, it's your business. Run it how you want. No website just creates more opportunity for those that do.

Harold, I realize you are in internet marketing and web design so you constantly work with clients that need web presence. But, you are assuming that every business markets through the internet and/or needs a public online profile. You are assuming every business needs to be found online. It just ain’t so.

Many businesses market through other channels and by other means. There actually was commerce before the internet and there is billions in business transactions that take place without benefit of web sites.

CallBettie
06-23-2014, 01:34 AM
If I owned a small gas station, I can see not having a website. I've never googled the closest gas station. Used my GPS, yes but not something I'd look for online. So I don't believe every business must have one. That being said I can't stop saying to really small businesses they must invest in a website. It can be done for so cheap on your own so there really is no excuse. Advertising on craigslist just doesn't cut it!

Brian Altenhofel
06-23-2014, 03:18 AM
An example of this is the pawn/oddities store not that far from me. You'd think a pawn shop wouldn't need a site, but I absolutely love that they do.

One of my clients is a local pawn shop. They even asked me to do an e-commerce site for them. Turns out *many* people enjoy being able to browse their inventory online, place their order, and either have it shipped to them or pick it up in the store.

This is funny: the people who do web sites are saying everyone has to have a web site. I'm shocked!

As a web site developer/designer, you come into contact with 100% of the types of business who need a web site and 0% of the businesses who don't. As a developer, I come into contact with 100% of the types of businesses who need my type of software development and 0% who don't. But I wouldn't even consider generalizing and saying that 100% of all businesses need my type of software development to survive in the modern world. That's just not a realistic assessment of the business world.

Web sites are a marketing tactic, nothing more. If your best potential customers don't look on the web site find someone like you, then that's not the marketing tactic you need to use for your business.

I come into contact with businesses who generally don't need a website on a regular basis. Some of them I socialize with regularly. The primary reason for not having a website that I am told boils down to fear of attracting the wrong prospects.

However, I (and many others in my generation) simply won't do business with someone we can't research during our free time. I place a cost on making phone calls, and it is a lot faster (and less expensive) for me to do a quick lookup on someone whose card or information I've been handed to get answers to my most basic questions in determining whether there is an opportunity there. If I get 10 cards for accountants, all from trusted and respected sources, I can call all 10 of them and determine that only 3 would be a good fit, or I can go to the websites on the 4 cards that had them and determine that only one of those would be a good fit. Two without may have been a better fit, but it would have required giving up a day versus giving up a half hour.

Wozcreative
06-23-2014, 10:13 AM
One of my clients is a local pawn shop. They even asked me to do an e-commerce site for them. Turns out *many* people enjoy being able to browse their inventory online, place their order, and either have it shipped to them or pick it up in the store.

I come into contact with businesses who generally don't need a website on a regular basis. Some of them I socialize with regularly. The primary reason for not having a website that I am told boils down to fear of attracting the wrong prospects.

However, I (and many others in my generation) simply won't do business with someone we can't research during our free time. I place a cost on making phone calls, and it is a lot faster (and less expensive) for me to do a quick lookup on someone whose card or information I've been handed to get answers to my most basic questions in determining whether there is an opportunity there. If I get 10 cards for accountants, all from trusted and respected sources, I can call all 10 of them and determine that only 3 would be a good fit, or I can go to the websites on the 4 cards that had them and determine that only one of those would be a good fit. Two without may have been a better fit, but it would have required giving up a day versus giving up a half hour.

This is very true, an example of how a website can tell me if someone knows what they are doing is when I met with a developer/designer. He talked a BIG talk! I was impressed and really thought I should connect with this person and learn from them. I went to their website and that totally changed my mind! The guy has no hope in hell in terms of running a business!

Yet another example of having a website and a good one at that is printers.. a printer that has the opportunity to quote me right away via their forms will get my business. If you haven't invested the time to make the experience and information easy for me then I won't be playing your game.

Harold Mansfield
06-23-2014, 10:48 AM
If your best potential customers don't look on the web site find someone like you, then that's not the marketing tactic you need to use for your business.

True. Although I'd love to meet the business owner that says their target demographic doesn't use the internet.

Freelancier
06-23-2014, 10:55 AM
However, I (and many others in my generation) simply won't do business with someone we can't research during our free time.
So have you thought that maybe you were not the business' best potential customer? Again: it's a marketing tactic to serve your marketing strategy. Perhaps their marketing strategy isn't to attract you or your business, because you don't fit into the profile of customers they want to attract. Marketing is that simple: attract who you want to sell to and make it easier to sell to them. If a web site isn't going to advance your sales process, then there's no point to it.

I have many web sites, because they serve my marketing strategy. I have a handful of clients who don't need a web site, because it doesn't serve their marketing strategy, and after studying their business model, I tend to agree that it's not going to help them enough to warrant the investment of time and money.

Although I'd love to meet the business owner that says their target demographic doesn't use the internet.

Read above. I listed two of them who target customers who would not use the web to find them.

Harold Mansfield
06-23-2014, 11:29 AM
I have a handful of clients who don't need a web site, because it doesn't serve their marketing strategy, and after studying their business model, I tend to agree that it's not going to help them enough to warrant the investment of time and money.

I have a hard time believing that information about a business online isn't beneficial. But that's just me.
Curious, If you don't have a presence online, not even basic information, where exactly do the people who are your target demographic go to find out more about your business or at least find basic contact information?

Wozcreative
06-23-2014, 11:52 AM
I have a hard time believing that information about a business online isn't beneficial. But that's just me.
Curious, If you don't have a presence online, not even basic information, where exactly do the people who are your target demographic go to find out more about your business or at least find basic contact information?

In the old days you'd have to either call a few people to get the contact info or you would have to physically drive to the location to speak to them unannounced. I guess you can google them in hopes that they have a linkedin account or on a directory?

PixelRocket
06-23-2014, 12:09 PM
100% yes. Get off on the right foot and start building out content and engaging users to visit your site as soon as possible! Tools like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. are simply for outreach to bring them to your site where the real conversion happens.

Freelancier
06-23-2014, 12:15 PM
If you don't have a presence online, not even basic information, where exactly do the people who are your target demographic go to find out more about your business or at least find basic contact information?

You think that the customers go looking for these companies and that's not the paradigm in some industries. See the examples for bidding on government contracts, if it ain't in the bid, it doesn't get considered, and that includes your web site. For the clients I mentioned, the vendor calls on the CEO or COO of the company, and arranges a meeting and presents a proposal. The CEO/COO doesn't even look at the web to confirm the information, because everyone knows that if it's on the web it's always true, right? Instead, they might pull up a D&B on them or request references.

Harold Mansfield
06-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Just seems to be that some presence on the web lends a certain amount of credibility for a company and provides customers and potential customers a way to find out more about the company. Usually companies are proud to provide that information, or promote themselves.

But if you say that's the way it is, then who am I to argue? I obviously don't deal with anyone who feels that the web is unnecessary, so I can't exactly fathom how it wouldn't be helpful in any way, shape or form what so ever.

Honestly, to me it's like arguing that you don't need a phone number because everyone communicates with you by email. And that being accessible by phone will never be of any benefit to you or your customers no matter what.

But again, it seems a few people are going to great lengths to single out really minute specific instances, instead of answering the general question.
I think it's been established that there can be an exception to the rule.

Freelancier
06-23-2014, 01:07 PM
But again, it seems a few people are going to great lengths to single out really minute specific instances, instead of answering the general question.
I think it's been established that there can be an exception to the rule.

Exactly. And the general question asked if EVERY business needed one. Had the question been about many or most, I'd be right there with the "YES" (and, of course, saying that it has to fit into the company's marketing strategy), but I've seen enough circumstances where it's not needed to dispute that EVERY business needs one.

I think all companies should accept invoices via e-mail instead of 1980's era obsolete technology. So I have a client whose accounts payable person sent me an e-mail telling me that all invoices had to come in by fax. Ironic, but there you go.

Should EVERY company be on Facebook, Twitter, Pintrest, have a Fantasy baseball team, etc.? Nope. Why? Same reason: if it doesn't support your marketing and sales strategy then it's not worth spending precious time and money doing it.

Paul
06-23-2014, 01:55 PM
You think that the customers go looking for these companies and that's not the paradigm in some industries. See the examples for bidding on government contracts, if it ain't in the bid, it doesn't get considered, and that includes your web site. For the clients I mentioned, the vendor calls on the CEO or COO of the company, and arranges a meeting and presents a proposal. The CEO/COO doesn't even look at the web to confirm the information, because everyone knows that if it's on the web it's always true, right? Instead, they might pull up a D&B on them or request references.

Exactly. Not every business or industry relies on web sites for information or verifications. Many businesses DO NOT WANT to be found by random internet searches. They only want to work with those already in their own network or industry. In some industries if you don't know who to call then you are clearly not established in that industry and businessses really don't want to hear from you.

Some have said they would never do business with a company that didn't have a web site. Well, the feelings mutual, those companies don't want to do business with you either.

When an airline or military needs to buy planes they don't check out ebay for "aircraft". When an auto manufacturer needs parts for their assembly line they dont google "car parts". They already know who to call or have other more reliable means of locating what they need. When J.P. Morgan wants to underwrite an IPO they don't post it on a website, they call their own list of private clients. There's a couple bucks that changes hands in just those few examples,without anyone ever looking at a website. I don't think these are minute isolated instances, there are billions of dollars of transactions that take place outside of the internet.

Basing business decisions on web site info is fine for many purposes. But all a great web site tells you is what they want to tell you. All you really know is they have a great website. In the mean time it could be a kid in the basement.

There is alot of commerce generated by the internet and alot that is not. Can we agree on that?

Harold Mansfield
06-23-2014, 02:22 PM
I've worked with or known a few people who don't want to be found on the web. They were an escort service, a time share "broker", a guy without a business license, a felon, and a guy running ( what I know now) was a ponzi scheme supposedly investing in high interest short term construction loans that gave a 20% monthly return.

So my experience with people who avoid the web would tend to make me believe that they have something to hide, or won't be around long.

I'm not arguing that there aren't businesses that can do fine without a website or any listing on the web at all. But I do doubt how anyone can make definitive statements that it holds no value , when they have no research to back that up..because they've never had a website.

Again, I don't really care one way or another. I'm not trying to talk anyone into having a website. Like I keep saying, it's their business. Run it the way you want. As I said, I wish all of my competitors felt that way. I really do.

To me a website is as standard as a phone number. Listening to the arguments for not having one (or any presence online at all) sounds completely bizarre to me. Like arguing against your business being in the phone book and having an unlisted phone number through the 80's.

And again, that's just my opinion.

Paul
06-23-2014, 03:12 PM
I never said it was without value, quite the opposite, it’s a fantastic system that I use extensively. I have had websites for businesses since the late 90s. Heck, I was creating websites with the old Front Page program. I love the Internet!

I'm just saying it is not universally beneficial for every business.

Don’t assume those of us who are not online are “hiding” something. I’m a little put out by that statement to tell you the truth. I’m more exposed than most in my particular industry. You may not find my personal website or face book online, but those who need to can check me out with agencies related to my business. That is part of my point; there are alternative means of verification in some industries that are much more reliable than information posted in a self promoting website.

Why is it bizarre that a business doesn't feel a need to be online? If it doesn't serve a purpose then why do it? Seems a bit silly, "Welcome to our website, we don't have anything you want, or anything to tell you, we just thought it would be cool to have a website."

Harold Mansfield
06-23-2014, 03:35 PM
You know, if you had some kind of reference where you could say a particular business had a website and it served no purpose to either the business or any potential customers..as a matter of fact people who went to the website told us that it holds no value to our business...I'd say that's a compelling argument.

But your position is that a certain business never had a website and has therefore determined that it will do them no good and will be of no benefit to anyone looking for information.
Now I ask you, does that sound like a reasonable argument?

Paul
06-23-2014, 04:07 PM
Of course it's reasonable. If i know that a website isn't useful, again, why would I? You keep assuming that every business wants their information available to the genneral public.

Many businesses don't want to be bothered with inquiries from the general public or to share any of their inforamtion with the public. Not every business does business with the general public.

Do you think an OEM manufacturer of automobile parts that has contracts with Ford, GM and Chrysler is going to attract some major auto manufacturer with a website? That manufacturer couldn't care any less about a website, they don't care if the public knows of them or not. They work directly with the engineering departments of the half dozen or so manufacturers in the industry. Of course, if they were selling after market parts to consumers or service staions then they would have a great web site to promote that business.

Harold Mansfield
06-23-2014, 04:37 PM
You are correct. I can't imagine why any legitimate business wouldn't want to be found. Even private clubs have password protected websites that only members can access. Even shelters for battered women, who by design keep their locations secret, have websites.

Again, to me a website is like having a phone number. I admit I can't fathom any reasoning that would make business so against providing any information about themselves. And I don't have to. People who don't want websites don't call me so I never need to have this conversation with anyone.

Wozcreative
06-23-2014, 05:23 PM
One of my clients who works in the health industry actually refuses to get a website because they don't want customers contacting them with complaints. Their buyers though are always asking for their website.

David Hunter
06-23-2014, 07:23 PM
One of my clients who works in the health industry actually refuses to get a website because they don't want customers contacting them with complaints. Their buyers though are always asking for their website.

Yikes!! Obviously this client of yours knows they aren't doing a very good job, since they are afraid to build a website because they'll get complaints.

Freelancier
06-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Obviously this client of yours knows they aren't doing a very good job, since they are afraid to build a website because they'll get complaints.

And here I figured that the company built a product that the first and only line of customer support was with the doctors that sold it and they didn't want to get into the middle of it if the doctor screwed it up. Example would be a breast implant. If there's really a problem, the lawyers will find them; if there's a question or dissatisfaction, the doctor should handle it directly, because the doctor sold and installed it. Is "installed" the right word??

Brian Altenhofel
06-23-2014, 09:23 PM
Do you think an OEM manufacturer of automobile parts that has contracts with Ford, GM and Chrysler is going to attract some major auto manufacturer with a website? That manufacturer couldn't care any less about a website, they don't care if the public knows of them or not. They work directly with the engineering departments of the half dozen or so manufacturers in the industry.

Most (if not all) of them do, but the primary purpose is to pre-satisfy customers of Ford, GM, Chrysler, or whoever else they are acting on behalf of as the OEM. It's in the same realm as an ambulance service putting up billboards advertising how good they treat their patients - you're not going to have a choice over what service picks you up from your home or off the pavement, but you're less likely to complain and your complaints to other individuals won't be as effective when the positive message has already been placed in your mind.

I know personally of one businessman that only works with $25MM+ companies who missed out on a high-six-figure contract simply because the guy who received his card wasn't able to find anything out about them independently online within a few minutes.

The excuse of not wanting inquiries from the general public is invalid. It's not that unusual to *not* put any contact information on a website.

Fulcrum
06-23-2014, 09:54 PM
True. Although I'd love to meet the business owner that says their target demographic doesn't use the internet.

I'd say about half my customers fall into that demographic. But then again, they're Mennonite.:cool:

On topic, I'm actually one of those companies that doesn't have a website. Has it hindered my growth? Maybe. However, I lack the proper infrastructure to fully take advantage of the benefits a website can bring.

ashleyidesign
06-24-2014, 05:26 AM
Hey Brad,

What do you mean by infrastructure? You means someone to manage incoming inquiries from the site, or do you mean managing the content on it?

Fulcrum
06-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Hey Brad,

What do you mean by infrastructure? You means someone to manage incoming inquiries from the site, or do you mean managing the content on it?

None of the above actually. For me, infrastructure = equipment.

My company is 85% B2B high skill service work (hammer bench and grinding), 14% new product (saw blades), 1% B2C walk in. For me to really make solid use of a website I need 1 more person that I can trust to do a quality job (or buy a $250,000 machine - this is on the mid term radar) as well as one or two more pieces of equipment (both hopefully by the end of the year). I haven't been able to figure out the 25 hour work day yet - I crash and burn after about 18 hours swinging a hammer. I am currently relying upon word of mouth and my personal sales skills.

For me, a website needs to be both informational as well as a virtual store front and minor design studio. Not cheap but very unique for my little corner of my industry. Once I have equipment in place, or close to, then I will be getting started on a website.

Hope this clears up your confusion.

Brian Altenhofel
06-25-2014, 04:54 AM
I haven't been able to figure out the 25 hour work day yet

Simple. Work 11 hours, sleep 3 hours, work 11 hours, sleep 3 hours, rinse and repeat as necessary. Just take a day off every now and then to recharge.

Works even better if you time it with the moon phases. Nothing like taking a break at 3:30AM on a New Moon night with a clear sky.

zinsavage123
07-05-2014, 09:43 PM
I would say so. Honestly everyone these days should have a website/blog. It is one of the best tools for branding in general. Whether for you personally or your business.

RobertL
05-16-2016, 04:24 AM
Of course! You can but a domain for ten bucks a year and host it for 3 to 4 dollars a month and up. No one will take you seriously if you don't have a site.

Fulcrum
05-16-2016, 07:30 AM
No one will take you seriously if you don't have a site.

I have to disagree with this. I can name almost 20 solid businesses (20+ year longevity) that are local to me that don't have a website. I'm one of them.

People need to get the idea that "no website = not serious" out of their head.

nealrm
05-16-2016, 10:16 AM
Most (if not all) of them do, but the primary purpose is to pre-satisfy customers of Ford, GM, Chrysler, or whoever else they are acting on behalf of as the OEM. It's in the same realm as an ambulance service putting up billboards advertising how good they treat their patients - you're not going to have a choice over what service picks you up from your home or off the pavement, but you're less likely to complain and your complaints to other individuals won't be as effective when the positive message has already been placed in your mind.

I know personally of one businessman that only works with $25MM+ companies who missed out on a high-six-figure contract simply because the guy who received his card wasn't able to find anything out about them independently online within a few minutes.

The excuse of not wanting inquiries from the general public is invalid. It's not that unusual to *not* put any contact information on a website.

Paul is right. There are many sub-suppliers that don't sell to the general public and don't need public exposure. Can you tell me the name of the company that supplies the chroming for Toyota's emblems for the Avalon, do you care? How about the company that supplies the metal bracket for the glove compartment lower brace?? There are thousands of companies that only supply parts to specific factories. None of them need to have a website. That doesn't mean they can't have a website, they just don't need one.

Harold Mansfield
05-16-2016, 10:56 AM
It's not absolute. I don't see any reason for my local convenience store to have a website, but I found my dry cleaner through searching for dry cleaners on my phone and up popped a map with locations of dry cleaners close to my location. Most of them had hours of operation and phone number visible from search. I never had to actually see the website, I just tapped the number and called to ask of they did large comforters.

So no, "need" is a strong word. Many people make it without all of the tools of modern marketing. However, for most businesses that rely on customers actually finding them I don't see why anyone would intentionally refuse to do it. To me it's like refusing to have a phone number.

KristineS
05-16-2016, 11:35 AM
I'm with Harold, there are some places that need web visibility and services like Google Local can be great for that, but they don't need a full blown website. It really depends on the audience you want to reach and what you're trying to do. That said, I tend to opt for businesses that have websites before I'll go to one that does not. That's just me though.

marketingwriter
05-16-2016, 12:17 PM
All roads lead to your website. Your website = credibility. That's where first impressions are formed. Remember, your prospect has probably never met you. Your website increases prospect confidence. It makes your business "real." And it works 24/7 to attract prospects and convert them into profitable customers.

Fulcrum
05-16-2016, 07:29 PM
All roads lead to your website. Your website = credibility. That's where first impressions are formed. Remember, your prospect has probably never met you. Your website increases prospect confidence. It makes your business "real." And it works 24/7 to attract prospects and convert them into profitable customers.

Guess I don't run a credible business then. My black fingernail (forgot where my finger was when I swung the hammer) tells me the business is real enough - as do my tax and payroll submissions. I might be bush league in your opinion and a little redneck, but I get it done, I get it done well, and I get it done on time - all at a fair price.

You've fallen into the digital line of thinking. One of my best customers doesn't have a website and they're always busy (did I mention they're Mennonite?). Nealrm mentioned Tier 1 and 2 automotive supply. He's dead on when he says that they don't need a website for sales since their at the mercy of the big 3.

I've done Harold's dry cleaner search for saw shops before, and the only ones that popped up were listed by 3rd party listing companies. Not a single shop had a website (yes, I do see the opportunity here).

In my case, all roads lead to my shop. If I had a website, it would lead customers and prospects to my shop. I don't have a website because I'm not willing to spend the money ($2500-10K for the site, $3Kish for internet and hosting) on it for what I want it to do - at this time at least. I don't see it generating enough to even breakeven on it under my current business model. I'd rather spend that money on equipment, to open up capacity and improve on efficiency, and a new home for the business.

primallogic
05-18-2016, 04:34 PM
As previously mentioned so many times already, yes you should have a website. All of these little things add up to legitimize and strengthen your brand.

Margaret
06-07-2016, 10:02 AM
depends on what is your business and who is your target audience

AndrewLockman
07-05-2016, 06:42 PM
I agree that every business could benefit from having a website but it's essential that they are clear on what they want to achieve (purpose fit). This could be for more sales, better branding, information distribution or just something fun or entertaining. Another important factor is once you've decided to go-live with a site you must commit to keeping it updated regularly. How many websites have you seen with a Blog showing a single post?

tom87
07-26-2016, 07:57 AM
Website is your business card. If you have only Facebook oraz Twitter profile, for clients, you're not credible.

ChadR
07-30-2016, 12:10 PM
I'm late jumping into this conversation, but will bring a little different angle to why every business (regardless of size or industry) absolutely needs a website. Customers today start their shopping and research process online. They shop for the best prices, what makes a business unique, why that product is better or simply to read other user experiences. They also want to know who that business is and what they're about. Even if you're a local neighborhood grocery store, without a website you're missing out on business. Websites are so easy and inexpensive to launch, there's absolutely no reason not to have one. With the hundreds of modern free wordpress themes and cheap hosting, you can get a solid looking site up for under $100. Then register your business with Google My Business so it shows up on mobile searches.

yoligrana
07-31-2016, 07:01 AM
I agree with all the comments and recommendations written above! Every business with a minimal quality needs a website.

GroupISO
08-02-2016, 02:08 PM
I personally feel every business should have a website -- at least a one pager. Also, if you have a physical location, definitely ensure you're listed on Google maps.

LocalSearchSolutions
08-10-2016, 11:39 AM
Yes, costs are low. Benefits are high. No reason not to...

YoannKehl.
09-20-2016, 05:00 AM
I think that every business should have its own website. No matter how many pages it contains or how it looks. The website is like a show window of your business on the Internet. Once you have website, you can optimize it and you will improve your brand awareness. Of course you can make also a Facebook page and account in Twitter.

chunky1
09-22-2016, 02:39 AM
Yes, definetely, to compete with other similiar online businesses quite tough nowadays even if you have a good product to sell. Most important to create reputable name, than more people know and talk about you than more people will trust you. Even better if you got website with your business address on it

Krystsina
09-23-2016, 09:37 AM
I'm a small business owner myself, and we don't have a website. And we are perfectly fine about it. We have our social media presence, including Facebook page + Instagram account, we create a lot of buzz around us so newspapers, magazines and online editions are writing about us. That's why I would conclude that having a website for a small business isn't obligatory, but having an online presence is. I would be happy to follow a Facebook page of a local greengrocer's shop to see some updates and come over if I'm interested. I don't think I would go to check its website specifically, but to see its new posts on my Facebook feed - why not :)

businessman2009x
09-25-2016, 01:54 AM
in today's internet world yes every business needs a website

beeline_Chris
11-22-2016, 05:30 PM
Do you think every small business should have a stand-alone website? I mean not a profile on Facebook or similar, but a website under it's own domain name?

I think not every business needs a website. For example it doesn't make sense to advertise a local greengrocer's shop online. Or maybe I'm wrong? What is your opinion?

While I think every business needs a website (it certainly doesn't have to cost much and adds a ton of credibility), I don't think it has to be a huge investment (You can have hosting and a basic new site for less than $200). I also think that for certain niches, you could use a Google My Business Page + Facebook Page in lieu of a website, especially if reviews from customers are important, and a lot of customer service is done via Social Media.

beeline_Chris
11-22-2016, 05:31 PM
I'm a small business owner myself, and we don't have a website. And we are perfectly fine about it. We have our social media presence, including Facebook page + Instagram account, we create a lot of buzz around us so newspapers, magazines and online editions are writing about us. That's why I would conclude that having a website for a small business isn't obligatory, but having an online presence is. I would be happy to follow a Facebook page of a local greengrocer's shop to see some updates and come over if I'm interested. I don't think I would go to check its website specifically, but to see its new posts on my Facebook feed - why not :)

+1

Because of social media, and being able to not only interact with customers quickly and directly, and also have reviews in the same place, a website is NOT a must.
However, it should cost you so little to have a site, it won't hurt at all. Your website could simply be a landing page that you use to collect leads, too...

John Blake
11-24-2016, 05:14 AM
I think that having a website gives you more credibility, especially considering new clients. It also enables them to find you easily. It doesn't have to be very complex; a simple informative site may be enough. It does not require much effort or cost and can bring many benefits.

SARubin
01-26-2017, 06:19 AM
The short answer is "yes" every business should have a website.
It doesn't need to be fancy, and it doesn't need to be expensive... But it does need to exist!

I talk with a lot of small business owners, and the two most common excuses I hear for not having a website are...

1) - "I don't need a website because my business is a local brick and mortar business. And besides, I already have a Facebook page."

The fact is... Even if you run a local brick and mortar business, to be considered legitimate these days, you need a website.

More than 90% of people look online to find a company to do business with (think about it - when's the last time YOU looked in the phone book to find a business?)
And while the people in your neighborhood might know who you are, potential customers 20 or 30 miles away, might not.

That's an awful lot of potential customers looking online, only to find your competitors website instead of yours.

As for social media: Social media is great for staying in touch with people, and they can also be great marketing tools, but your own website adds a solid foundation of credibility to let people know you're for real.

And when people know you're for real, they're far more likely to trust you, and do business with you.

2) - The second most common excuse I hear is... "It's too expensive to put up my own website."

The fact is... A website is one of the most cost effective marketing tools you will ever use.
It only costs about ten dollars a year to register your domain name. And, an inexpensive web host is only around ten dollars a month.

Do the math... If you can't afford less than 150 dollars a year, for a complete advertising and marketing platform that runs 24 hours a day... 7 days a week... 365 days a year...
Then you don't own a business - you own a hobby.

Ironclad Systems
01-30-2017, 12:30 AM
While not a actual NEED, a web presence is a huge asset. Not having one is almost a handicap, even a in word of mouth type of industry. You meet a potential client casually, and once out of sight, they do a quick LinkedIn or Facebook search and find nothing...its not the best impression in the world. The truth is, in this day and age there are more then a few ways one can build an effective online presence, that's geared to YOUR industry and market, and it doesn't have to be expensive.

Mannatsandhu
02-26-2017, 10:37 PM
No, its not necessary, every business should have their own website to promote their business on the internet. Today everyone is active on facebook. Instead of creating website, buisness owner should create a business page on facebook to explore their business with proper product information.

turgeonm
05-24-2017, 05:22 PM
Yes every business should have a website. Online presence in a must now for business.

jacreative
05-26-2017, 09:07 AM
Yes, every business need a website. Main reasons for that is the credibility of your company, the 24/7 information that you can provide, it is a great chance to highlight the USPs of your business, you can have a custom made, unique website, but your facebook profile will be just one from many. Also the opportunity for online advertisements are much cheaper and more effective then traditional advertisements, and you can only use Google AdWords, if you have a website to advertise. And why else social media is not enough? Because you don't own your profile. Technically, you don't own any of the content or data that you have on social media. If you have your own website, you own the data and the content.

DennisW
05-30-2017, 04:56 PM
Every business should have a website. The first thing a potential client will do is look for online presence and you want your information available to them. Saves you time and money.

FinanceTotal
06-15-2017, 11:44 PM
Depends, will the website increase sales/conversions?

billbenson
06-24-2017, 09:59 AM
I'm thinking there are businesses out there that don't need a website, but it's rare. Even your local dentist should have a website to give address info and credentials. It's really not to sell but rather to give information in this case. Just a couple of pages.

I'll add that a lot of small restaurants don't have websites. They loose money because of it.

Paul
06-28-2017, 10:32 PM
I'm thinking there are businesses out there that don't need a website, but it's rare. Even your local dentist should have a website to give address info and credentials. It's really not to sell but rather to give information in this case. Just a couple of pages.

I'll add that a lot of small restaurants don't have websites. They loose money because of it.

Wow, a long lasting string of posts! Anyway, I agree many businesses benefit from an Internet presence. However, many businesses have no use for a web site or other presence, including my primary business. As a consultant to a pretty closed network of clients I operate almost exclusively on referrals. Generally I don't want random clients from the internet.

JuanMunoz
09-10-2017, 10:53 PM
it really depends on your goals and what kind of perception you want for your customers. For some businesses even if you r not going global u still need to create yr own website for better customer perception, cuz website make yr business look more professional. But it's all up to you actually.

MichaelTeamTCA
09-14-2017, 10:06 AM
I look for a decent website and at least one social media presence (FB, Twitter, IG) as proof that a business is even remotely legitimate before I consider doing business with them. Additionally, I still won't do business if they have a website or a social media presence, but don't have a decent logo (if one at all).

A website is also the opportunity to tell your story and share information with your more prudent and "research-driven" customers. Take that opportunity. Pay someone to make you something great! Don't have the budget, do a Wix.com or SquareSpace.com site for super cheap. But do it.
-M

Harold Mansfield
09-14-2017, 02:23 PM
I agree with the above. I don't care what kind of business it is, a website is the basics. If you can't even do the bare minimum to look legitimate and let me know something about you and your business, in my eyes you aren't really running a business you're just playing around with a hobby.

Even worse when "business people" communicate with me using free email addresses. That's just too amateur for me. It makes me wonder what else will be unprofessional and I'm not risking my money with someone who can't even do the basics.

Fulcrum
09-14-2017, 04:48 PM
I agree with the above. I don't care what kind of business it is, a website is the basics.

I've got to disagree. The absolute bare minimum is a pair of running shoes (although I've seen a few people in bare feet) and a drive to do what needs to be done. I know of many long standing, reputable companies that don't have a website nor do they want a website.

If you can't even do the bare minimum to look legitimate and let me know something about you and your business, in my eyes you aren't really running a business you're just playing around with a hobby.

Guess I've been running a hobby for the last 5 years. I don't know of many hobbies that can support 2 people at industry average wages.

Harold Mansfield
09-14-2017, 05:43 PM
I'm just commenting on how I see a business that I can't look up anywhere and won't spend $12.99 for a branded email. I'm sure other people feel differently.

For me, knowing how many scams and fly by nite business and people who are out there it makes me skeptical when someone refuses to put basic identification online and contacts me from an AOL, Yahoo or Gmail address. It says to me they haven't been in business long, even if that's not true. It's the perception being that I know nothing about this person. And at this point in the game, it is a refusal. It's not an oversight.

Again, we're assuming I'm a stranger who doesn't know you personally. Even if it's a referral.

When you have no presence you have no idea how much business or how many opportunities you are losing. Could be none. Could be millions. You don't know. No one is going to call you to tell you because they obviously can't.

As a business owner I couldn't imagine not having a sales presence on the web. I just don't see how I compete if I'm not visible to the world. I can't possibly personally meet every possible customer in the world.

As a possible customer if I can't find you anywhere, obviously I can't call you to give you my money.

I'm not the only person who feels this way. It's how we do everything these days. Look it up online, look for reviews, examples of their work...something that says this is a real person and a real business that is likely not to disappear tomorrow.

I can however fathom certain instances where someone could make a living on all handshakes and business cards.
And if that's what works for you, Mazel Tov. Keep doing it.

Fulcrum
09-14-2017, 10:44 PM
Hence the problem when we apply the same brush and filters to all scenarios. Business type and target customer base will dictate what approach to take. 75% of my customers don't have internet while half of them don't have electricity. Really, all I ask is that you don't apply the "hobby" title just because one doesn't have a website.

... we're assuming I'm a stranger who doesn't know you personally. Even if it's a referral.

Yet we're all strangers when we first make contact. Doesn't matter if it's online or if it's in person during a walk up cold call. I've got a mill that I can't get in to even though they've replaced their service guys twice in the last 2 months (banned one from the property) and I'm only 20 minutes away and know some of the same people who's word you can take to the bank. At the same time, another mill is contemplating a co-operative purchase of a machine to put on my floor even though I've only done $200 of work for them (and they haven't run the blades yet).

When you have no presence you have no idea how much business or how many opportunities you are losing.

At the same time, assuming a better than average case and that the business generates its revenue offline rather than from digital products/services, let's assume sales take off. Unless you have the financial capacity and access to the skilled workforce that is required, you've just shot yourself in both feet and broken both your kneecaps. I've seen more work permanently lost because of an inability to keep up due to poor scheduling and inadequate ordering of raw materials to out of control sales (not enough available cash/credit for machinery and raw material).

As for losing business, I'm losing more work from a lack of capability (mechanical not personal) because I can't drop $200K on a machine (cash or financed).

As a business owner I couldn't imagine not having a sales presence on the web. I just don't see how I compete if I'm not visible to the world. I can't possibly personally meet every possible customer in the world.

Here is where our backgrounds and business experiences differ. 99% of my work comes from within 60 miles (100km) of where I'm located. I only need to be better than the 4 other shops like mine - one doesn't deliver, another focuses mostly on new production with some service thrown in, a third doesn't offer a full range of services, and the 4th advertises as much as I do and has quality issues. Currently, it doesn't matter if someone a province over can't find me.

Your experience is mostly in the digital realm where physical location doesn't matter as much.

With the above said, I will say that I'm probably the exception rather than the rule. If my business was product driven rather than service focused, a high powered e-commerce site would be top of the list as it can replace a commission based sales person or 3.

Harold Mansfield
09-14-2017, 11:39 PM
Yes, you are an exception. I'm sure you aren't the only one. If your clientele doesn't have internet or electricity, and that is your entire target market then it makes sense that a website isn't at the top of your list. My clientele doesn't look at newspapers to find services like mine, so running newspaper ads makes no sense for me. I get it.

However, generally and as it pertains to general advice given here...potential customers like to be able to find something out about a business when they don't personally know the owner.

If anyone is in the same boat as you, I'm sure you could give great advice on how to market to people without electricity. I'd imagine there are a lot of areas around the country like that, and those people need products and services too.

Suman Verma
09-19-2017, 02:37 AM
Yes, of course. Every small or big business needs to be online as the number of people using the internet is increasing and there is a huge chance that your business will be missed if you are not available online.

Portip
11-27-2017, 03:12 AM
I use the internet constantly myself for info and almost every business I ever worked with had a website. However, some businesses, like mine, are tied into existing networks for referrals that don’t involve internet. I am a business “consultant” for specific longer term projects so I'm not seeking a constant flow of new clients from the internet. An unusual situation I suppose, but it is a case where a website is somewhat useless.

Paul
11-27-2017, 02:21 PM

I also don’t have a website, although I use the internet extensively. I am in a niche consulting business and rarely would anybody ‘search’ specifically for what I do. If they do need to search they are probably not my target client.

Some who do what I do have sites, but they look so scammy (to me anyway). They promise all kinds of “benefits” that I know are BS. They are just trying to grab upfront fees from the uninformed.

I actually seek out prospects and then contact them or they are referred to me. New clients require in depth conversation and some extensive due diligence (on my side) before moving forward. There is nothing for me to “pitch” or sell on a site.

I had a site for a few days and took it down.The site I had for a short time attempted to “explain” what I did and how we did it. It was just dry as dust. There is nothing flashy or exciting or even interesting to put on a site. What I do is tedious and boring! When I looked at how to liven it up it looked flakey and scammy and put me at the same level as the others.

Wash & Dry
11-29-2017, 11:02 PM
I can see this both ways. It just depends on many things. Let's take this 2 ways with the same business. I had a residential cleaning business and didn't have any web presents. I had over 200 repeat customers was about as full of customers as I could get. I did add new clients but only 1 or 2 a week. But, if I started that business today I would have a web presents in order to gain new customers and then as soon as I got big enough I would probably not have a web presents anymore because I'd be in the same position. And that is not to say that I'd have a website even at first but I would be on social media. And some people wouldn't hire us because I didn't have a website but for every 1 that wouldn't, there are 5 that will. I have a friend that owns a very large business that makes him millions. We have talked about his website. He says it doesn't bring him 1 penny. Could it? Probably. But if it doesn't bring him 1 penny then why have it? Seems silly to me. Because it gives him a presents? I don't believe it. Does my mechanic or dentist have a website? I have no idea.... don't care just like most people. Might that change in the future? Yes, it might very well change.

The business I have now gets a few calls a week from the website and it's always from people wanting cheap stuff. I don't sell cheap stuff. I do all my business on social media without a business name. It's all done on a personal account. Next year should see $100,000 in profit from it. But, there are a few business that do need a website for sure.

annie_mclean
12-02-2017, 05:50 PM
What a good question!

I believe not having a website is a self-inflicted handicap. Not having a website is tantamount to allowing your competitors to travel by plane first class while you cycled in the same direction, on a long distance. You will probably not arrive at your destination. If you do, you will be too tired to reap any rewards. Even Governments of nations, with all the resources behind them, are now having websites. It's a 24 hour marketing machine. It's 'compulsory' you have one!

Paul
12-02-2017, 08:47 PM
What a good question!

I believe not having a website is a self-inflicted handicap. Not having a website is tantamount to allowing your competitors to travel by plane first class while you cycled in the same direction, on a long distance. You will probably not arrive at your destination. If you do, you will be too tired to reap any rewards. Even Governments of nations, with all the resources behind them, are now having websites. It's a 24 hour marketing machine. It's 'compulsory' you have one!

Of course I must disagree. Websites are not compulsory. They are simply a marketing option for many businesses. In some cases the site IS the business. For many others a website serves no real purpose. Your analogy is cute, but remember, some also travel by private jet.

HumaneHosting
01-30-2018, 09:05 AM
I concur with Harold. Facebook may work awesome now, however consider the possibility that they change something in two years and your 1000 posts don't benefit you in any way any longer. You have no control. With your own particular site you have control.

Exactly, and to boost you are likely to get features and/or upgrades for staying with your hosting provider to help you grow.

Harold Mansfield
01-30-2018, 02:00 PM
Of course I must disagree. Websites are not compulsory. They are simply a marketing option for many businesses. In some cases the site IS the business. For many others a website serves no real purpose. Your analogy is cute, but remember, some also travel by private jet.

Of course nothing is compulsory. You don't have to compete or have a web presence at all. Certainly not something that I waste time talking people into. It's their business and they are free to do whatever they want.

However, if you do plan on marketing online to generate leads and make sales..as they say..."if you want to run with the big dogs, you have to pee in the high grass".

Fulcrum
01-30-2018, 06:24 PM
You don't have to compete ...

Can you please stop using references like this. Just because one doesn't have a website doesn't mean they are not competitive nor turning a profit. I've been flat out since the end of last summer's traditional slow down and I don't advertise beyond speaking with people. I know of at least 20 other companies just as busy, or busier, than I am who neither advertise nor have a web presence.

However, if you do plan on marketing online to generate leads and make sales..as they say..."if you want to run with the big dogs, you have to pee in the high grass".

One thing about high grass - it hides the electric fence. If you're peeing in the high grass your gonna get zapped.

cbscreative
02-06-2018, 04:39 PM
In a few months this thread will be 4 years old and I've managed to remain quiet until now while casually dropping in here and there to usually gain some amusement. I've seen this type of conversation many times and even participated on occasion but it always seems to go the same way. The need for a web site in today's business market is undeniable and the reality that some are fine (or even better than fine) without one is also undeniable. Neither side ever seems to gain much if any ground.

Here's the thing, a business that can survive or even thrive without a web site may very well subject to change at some point. Will those same "thrivers" adapt if this change takes place?

A book I'm currently reading uses what I found to be a fascinating example when illustrating how being in business requires you to have an ear to the ground and be ready ahead of time to adapt to change.

The author probably could have used Blockbuster since everyone knows how their refusal to adapt caused a "large and successful" company to go belly up. The example he did use was way better and had details I never knew.

The company is Kodak which filed for bankruptcy in 2012. There are two particular details of the story I found both intriguing and scathingly ironic.

This example is particularly fitting because the argument in this type of discussion always includes something to the effect of, "So and so built a large empire without a web site and they're doing just fine without one," as if that magically means they will always be fine. Would anyone deny Kodak is a large and successful company? Wouldn't you expect their executives to be competent to keep the company strong?

We all know how digital photography made the demand for film almost non existent. Here's something you may not know...I didn't. Kodak invented the digital camera! Not only that, the Kodak engineer who created it came up with it in 1975! Kodak's attitude was, "That's cute but don't tell anyone about it." The story gets worse. In 1981, the head of Kodak's market intelligence warned the company it had a ten year window to seize the inevitable emerging market. Kodak execs ignored that warning.

Sound familiar?

Later this year, SBF will celebrate 10 years though many of us go back to a defunct forum predating that by more years. This discussion happened back then too and many of the business markets that ignored the importance of a web site have seen dramatic change. Participants in those discussions sounded back then, and continue to sound now, like Kodak execs with their head in the sand.

Will some business models always be exempt from needing a web site? Probably. I could care less if the neighborhood convenience store has a web site or not. But other business owners who use the everything's fine the way it is excuse may only be fooling themselves. Even dead end roads can wow you with great scenery.

Harold Mansfield
02-07-2018, 12:27 PM
Can you please stop using references like this. Just because one doesn't have a website doesn't mean they are not competitive nor turning a profit. .

That was probably a little more snark than needed and I apologize for it. The reasoning behind it is in my experience, it's rare to find someone who has absolutely no web presence at all, never uses the web, doesn't have a smart phone, or computer, and all of the customers or the potential new customers that they want to attract also don't use the internet what so ever.

Stats say 13% of people in the U.S. don't use the internet for anything. That number is lower than the percentage of people who can't read or don't have electricity.

I've run across MANY "I don't need a website" people who have Facebook pages. Use email. Or are on Linked In. Those people who are online, but think no one else is online are kidding themselves. Then who are they emailing?

So maybe you do personally know every customer, and market your business person by person, one at a time and everything about your business is either verbally explained or on paper
. Great. But how much longer do you think that's going to last? And how do you know you haven't already lost business?

If you run a frozen drink shack on a beach somewhere, maybe you don't "need" a website. But if I ran a frozen drink shack on a beach I'd not only have a website, I'd be heavily involved on Instagram with images of sunsets, sun rises, beautiful girls drinking my concoctions, and people having fun. I'd make sure that as many people as possible made my place a destination when they came to the area.

That is just my opinion and I've repeated it a million times. Overall most businesses do. Most. Not every possible business in existence. Don't think you need a website? Then don't get one. It's not like the room is going to go quiet and you'll hear a bunch of plates drop because the butler fainted on the news. You do you. No one knows your business like you do.

Paul
02-07-2018, 04:13 PM
No one knows your business like you do.

Exactly! Reasonably intelligent business people know if/when they can use the internet to their advantage. Sometimes there is no benefit.
I think the original poster, from years ago, stated that EVERY business MUST have a website. That's just not true as many have said.

The internet has changed commerce, but it didn't invent it. It's worth reminding younger folks that there was, believe it or not, life and commerce before the internet. Let me also add that there was social interaction before social media and Iphones too!

The internet and technology has enhanced business and commerce in many ways, but the basics haven't changed. Websites have taken the place of some brick and mortar, websites and social media pages replaced the yellow pages and print ads, email replaced mail, streaming media expanded TV and movie audiences and word processors replaced typewriters. It's not new, just better.

I am old enough to have worked in businesses before computers and internet. I remember the first inventory control computers that required punch cards to be fed into a machine. Cash registers were manual, not even electric, and I remember "literally" cutting and pasting to create print ads and books were kept in handwritten ledgers. Wow, am I old or what! I just depressed myself..

cbscreative
02-08-2018, 02:39 PM
Wow, Paul, you are old! You must be close to 60 or higher. LOL.

I'm 57. Old enough to have done some hand drawing on artboard and/or acetate with technical pens, hand cutting ruby and amber lithe, press type copy and/or subbing out to a professional typesetter, and paying $100 per color for letter size 4 color separation camera work. And the only web site was a dark corner that hadn't been cleaned in a while.

Paul
02-08-2018, 09:21 PM
Wow, Paul, you are old! You must be close to 60 or higher. LOL.

I'm 57. Old enough to have done some hand drawing on artboard and/or acetate with technical pens, hand cutting ruby and amber lithe, press type copy and/or subbing out to a professional typesetter, and paying $100 per color for letter size 4 color separation camera work. And the only web site was a dark corner that hadn't been cleaned in a while.

Wow, typesetting, the stone age! You might even remember carbon paper,transistor radios and 8 track tapes.

turboguy
02-08-2018, 10:45 PM
If you think he is stone age I can remember before there were transistor radios. I had one of the first transistor radios. It was a GE with 7 transistors and cost about $ 50.00 which would be about $ 400.00 or so in today's dollars. I also used to run through tons of rubber cement to make paste ups. Then we would do a mailing using or Rex Rotary M-4 which was basically a mimeograph but you could get the masters thermal cut and print photos. Of course they were not very clear and only printed in black. As to 8 track tapes I can recall when 78's were the big thing which were later replaced by 45's and LP 33's. I even remember phonograph needles.

cbscreative
02-08-2018, 11:18 PM
I remember all of those. Some were remnants on the tail end of usage as "new" tech like 33's and 45's took over, others I was there for the main use. My cousins about 5 years older than me were more prone to 8 track use but I did have an 8 track player after cassettes were the norm and it was still "in" enough that it got stolen. I even had a portable transistor radio, the closest thing to pocket size if your pocket was the size of the one in modern cargo pants.

Going back even further than carbon paper would be the ditto machines my elementary teachers would use before copy machines were invented. That was back when Nixon's picture was newly added to the row of US Presidents above the alphabet over the classroom chalkboard.

DanielRepflux
02-13-2018, 02:12 PM
While I don’t agree every business needs a website it’s so cheap and simple there’s really no reason not to post one with your information

HumaneHosting
02-13-2018, 02:21 PM
While I don’t agree every business needs a website it’s so cheap and simple there’s really no reason not to post one with your information

Indeed it cost effective in the long term. Yes you may need to drop ~$150 or more for the website then a couple of bucks or so per month for hosting. But once it said and done it will bring the business ROI. :)

cbscreative
02-16-2018, 12:32 PM
Yes you may need to drop ~$150 or more for the website

Or more!!

You'd be lucky to get a qualified web designer to even answer the phone for $150. You can leave a voice mail though and be sure to include your budget in the message. :)

To be fair though, I guess we should qualify what is meant by a business web site. If you're looking to generate 10 or 20 bucks a month, maybe a couple hundred, or tens of thousands or higher, the definition varies. Businesses cost money to operate and a lot of business web sites out there are hemorrhaging revenue opportunity due to owners not recognizing the value of an effective web site. Those are the same business owners who will claim web sites don't work when the reality is it didn't work for them, and they'd rather not admit responsibility. All they really know is nothing substantial happened. Ironically, every example of a web failure has someone else in a nearly identical situation proving that a web site can generate lot of income.

Meanwhile this kind of discussion happens perpetually all over the Internet which one reason I can't help being amused. We laugh when someone in a time period movie asks if telephones are really going to change the world or if there is really a future for horseless carriages, yet every generation repeats the same folly.

g.geramo@web.de
02-28-2018, 06:28 AM
If i was a customer of a business who doesnt have a website, Id probably think of it as unprofessional. I mean we live in the 21st century, even my grandma made a website for her 100 birthday

ayoubafandy
03-09-2018, 07:45 PM
Yes, every business should have a website. But not necessarily high-quality, especially in the first stage

businessexpert
03-12-2018, 09:12 PM
The answer is yes! It makes you look credible!

FlipzSide
04-19-2018, 02:09 PM
Have you ever searched up a company and found they are only listed in the Yellow Pages and on Facebook? It looks so unprofessional and makes them seem like luddites. Yes, you need a webpage. They aren't that expensive to set up.

Fulcrum
04-19-2018, 06:09 PM
<--------------Ludite managing to stay busy and having new customers calling.

Paul
04-23-2018, 07:25 PM
<--------------Ludite managing to stay busy and having new customers calling.

This thread lives on! Another luddite here. I'm probably repeating myself but I was in business before internet, web sites and facebook,in fact before computers were used in business. I'm still in business. Youngsters born into the internet age probably can't imagine a life without internet. But yes, commerce and social life existed before.

KellyMillerss
05-02-2018, 06:02 AM
each business ought to have a site. Period. The majority of the reasons for not having one are only that, pardons

Paul
05-02-2018, 12:25 PM
Why is it so many are so adamant that I, and every other business, need a website? There is nothing that a website or any other online presence can possibly do for my business.

Harold Mansfield
05-02-2018, 01:45 PM
Why is it so many are so adamant that I, and every other business, need a website? There is nothing that a website or any other online presence can possibly do for my business.

That's an easy question to answer. Because many of us are in the mindset that we cannot possibly personally know of, or speak with any and every person who may be interested in or needs our service. A website allows us to be found and make our presence known at all times, even when we're sleeping, to provide information to those people who we would otherwise never know are looking and didn't know we existed.

This is how most of us think. But we fully understand that is not the case for every possible business everywhere in the world. I can think of many businesses who do not have websites, it's all personal interaction. Especially in smaller retail operations. If all your business is foot traffic, like a juice stand on the beach, you may not need one. But if you want to be listed in a travel guide, you do.

And we're not speaking of you specifically, but about business in general.

Paul
05-02-2018, 02:06 PM
That's an easy question to answer. Because many of us are in the mindset that we cannot possibly personally know of, or speak with any and every person who may be interested in or needs our service. A website allows us to be found and make our presence known at all times, even when we're sleeping, to provide information to those people who we would otherwise never know are looking and didn't know we existed.

This is how most of us think. But we fully understand that is not the case for every possible business everywhere in the world. I can think of many businesses who do not have websites, it's all personal interaction. Especially in smaller retail operations. If all your business if foot traffic, like a juice stand on the beach, you may not need one. But if you want to be listed in travel guide, you do.

And we're not speaking of you specifically, but about business in general.

I agree. But many keep saying "EVERY" business, when that's not true. Many, but not every, need a site. It's just slightly annoying that anyone assumes they definitively "know" every business needs a site. I, and many other businesses, do not need to be found or validated via the internet. AS you well know, anybody can put up a flashy site, but be a complete fraud in reality. Websites are NOT the official validation of anything. I.ve said before it may be somewhat generational. Those who grow up with internet treat it as the end all to everything.

Harold Mansfield
05-02-2018, 03:15 PM
Websites are NOT the official validation of anything. I.ve said before it may be somewhat generational. Those who grow up with internet treat it as the end all to everything.

You are correct, but it would be short sighted not to admit that many customers under 50 see it that way.

Also, I didn't grow up with this stuff either.
I learned how to type on a manual typewriter.
I remember when getting a touch tone phone was big deal.
When call waiting was a celebrated feature that cost an extra $10mo.
My grandmother still says her phone number with letters.
I remember paying for long distance. As an adult.
When no one cared if you wore seat belts. Or smoked on an airplane.
When there was only 3 or 4 main stations, 3 or 4 UHF stations, and that was it...and those stations actually turned off for the night. Off!
When you had to rewind the movie and physically take it back to Blockbuster.

The most advanced electronics I ever had as a kid was a slot car track with light up headlights.
I saw a computer once in Jr. High for a semester and never laid hands on another one again till 10 years after college.
I didn't own a computer till about 2003 in my late 30's and even then all I did with it was download music and search the web.

It wasn't until 2006 that I started using my computer to learn something and put up my first WordPress blog.
It was 2008 when I threw my hat in the ring to do it as a business and I've been learning and evolving ever since.

So don't think of this as just a bunch of people in the newer generation who just don't understand how us old schoolers do business.
I am us old schoolers and proud of it :)

Fulcrum
05-02-2018, 05:32 PM
I think this says it best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3WcuvL737A

What I'm getting at, and what I think Paul is referring to as well, is in the semantics. When the terms every, must, need, credibility, etc. are thrown around without the posters thinking through their word choices (it's fairly obvious for the most part) and how these specific terms are being applied to a generalized group. Semantics matter. I think society in general has forgotten how to say what they mean and, sadly, forgotten to mean what they say.

For the original question the answer is "It depends". Nothing more. Nothing less. There is a difference between having a website and having a web presence.

Oh, and Harold, your older than I thought. I would've put you in the "forgotten" demographic (born between '77 and '83/'84) with me.

turboguy
05-02-2018, 06:59 PM
I think I recall posting about things like before there were TV's and when you picked up the phone and told the operator what number you wanted or even who you wanted so I am going to talk about computers only.

I was always fascinated by computers. I recall reading an article in Popular Mechanics magazine about 2 new computers that had just come on the market. The Altair 8800 and the IMSAI 8080. I think I read that article about 5 times. When I was traveling in New York State I found out they had a dealer in Syracuse and I stopped and looked at them. There wasn't much to look at. You programed them in binary language (I believe that is right but the 1's and 0's. Sometime later I found there was a computer dealer in Pittsburgh and I stopped again and got a demo. That demo'd with a program that allowed you to enter two dates and it would tell you how many days were between them. Pretty cool and useful, right?

Later the IBM PC came out which was a big step forward but out of my price range. I ended up buying my first computer. It was a Sanyo 555 which was a lot like the IBM but cheaper and ran DS-Dos instead of MS-DOS. There were not a lot of programs in those days. It came with WordStar word editing and a spreadsheet but Lotus wasn't around yet. I bought a copy of DB2 and read about 3 books on programing with it. I made programs to run my business with and to calculate commissions for my sales people. We would start the commission program early in the morning when I could stay late since it took 11 hours to run the program and print out the commission sheets using the very noisy dot matrix printer. Later I upgraded to a 286 computer and it would run the commission program in 28 minutes.

The only other experience I had was that I took a course in Cobol at our local community college. Their computer used punch cards and the computer was about the size of a box truck and was in a clean room. You always hoped you would not drop the stack of IBM cards.

My dream machine in those days was the Osborne which was the first portable computer and was about the size of a small suitcase.

When I bought my first Laptop it was $ 2500.00 and the keyboard fell out within 20 hours of use.

Paul
05-03-2018, 11:23 AM
I think this says it best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3WcuvL737A

What I'm getting at, and what I think Paul is referring to as well, is in the semantics. When the terms every, must, need, credibility, etc. are thrown around without the posters thinking through their word choices (it's fairly obvious for the most part) and how these specific terms are being applied to a generalized group. Semantics matter. I think society in general has forgotten how to say what they mean and, sadly, forgotten to mean what they say.

For the original question the answer is "It depends". Nothing more. Nothing less. There is a difference between having a website and having a web presence.

Oh, and Harold, your older than I thought. I would've put you in the "forgotten" demographic (born between '77 and '83/'84) with me.

Harold, you are older than I thought also. You are correct about most people under 50 consider an internet presence as validation of existence. I made an assumption that those on this thread who insist we all have a web site are younger. I may be wrong. To make a statement so absolute as that, they are apparently not aware of the broader business world, but only of common business that they are familiar with. They are thinking only in terms of acquiring customers , or doing business, through the internet.

As Fulcrum mentions, it is semantics to some extent. It is the authoritarian absolute declaration that ALL MUST have a web site that is amusingly annoying.

evolvingdigital
05-07-2018, 05:22 PM
You absolutely need a Website. A great Website can:

1) Create A Great First Impression
2) Will Help You Understand Your Visitors and Customers
3) Be Your Best ‘Bang For Your Buck’ Marketing Channel
4) Give You A Competitive Advantage

For more information check How A Great Website Benefits Your Business (http://evolving-digital.com/resources/how-great-website-benefits-your-business-Part1)

We have a client that generates most of their revenue (over 80%) via Facebook, but in most cases that is a bad business model. You never want to have sooooo much of your business and revenue dependent on one platform. Especially, a platform you don't own or control.

Aleks,

DianJohnson
06-02-2018, 06:27 AM
Truly, every business ought to have a site. Period. The majority of the reasons for not having one are only that, pardons.

KevinBrker
06-04-2018, 06:04 AM
I concur with Harold. Facebook may work extraordinary now, however consider the possibility that they change something in two years and your 1000 posts don't benefit you in any way any longer. You have no control. With your own site you have control.

jeffscott
08-15-2018, 02:24 AM
As much as possible small businesses must have a website especially targeting different locations from their target region.

RjMaan
09-11-2018, 11:55 AM
Yeah, i think if you want to improve and enhance your business than you should have a website of your business.

JackRidley
10-22-2018, 08:38 AM
Yes, 100% should have a website. And collect emails.

Melanie O
11-01-2018, 03:17 PM

Social media platforms like facebook can change the rules at any time. For example, one day all your page followers could be seeing your posts in their facebook feeds and then the next day facebook decides they want to charge you for your posts to display in your own followers feeds. I think this example actually happened to an extent. For this in other reasons, you want to have command over your internet engagement strategy. That means at the very least having a standalone website.

edfence
06-04-2019, 10:43 PM
I think most of the time nowadays, yes. Depends on the business though I suppose.

Kenneth Funk
09-23-2019, 08:26 AM
Yes, small businesses too have stepped towards successful marketing strategies and they are working shoulder-to-shoulder with big organizations. Having a website is a great way to collect quality leads and convert them into honest customers eventually.

Diana-Ricecmd
09-23-2019, 02:33 PM
Yes, absolutely! While it may not be the primary source of traffic, you don't want to miss any opportunity to deliver your business to those who might be searching for it. Your website shows customers you are available and want to reach them as much as they hopefully want to reach you. I've been working on this with a friend who owns an electrical business. We finally got him on Facebook and he's doing great! He would benefit from at minimum a single online landing page to solidify customer's trust that he's a legitimate business, and allow anyone who isn't a Facebook user the chance to engage.

beetee
10-02-2019, 06:23 AM
I read most of the comments and imho it really depends on your business. I have 3 businesses (RE, funding and credit repair) all inter related and I don't have a site for two of those businesses. I recently created a site on wix because I have the domain and have all 3 companies with this domain as a holding company and not to confuse any clients.

I have a few fb pages but only really focus on one of the pages. A website imho does not mean you are anymore legit to me with or without.

Again this is my opinion and based on my businesses and experience. :D

SkyWriting
11-15-2019, 06:57 AM

Any business with a location or a phone should have their own website.
And, it should bring in income as well.

Dream Data
02-12-2021, 07:33 AM

1000000% have a website. I would go as far as even recommending getting a website to use as your resume in a professional manner. The more digital exposure, the better chances you have to grow

journalist55
02-07-2022, 11:18 AM
I think it is important for any type of business to have their own website even today with people mostly engaging with Instagram and Facebook. It shows that your company is legitimate and professional!