PDA

View Full Version : Another question....more specifically about wholesales and distributors

pinkyandthesheep
07-26-2014, 01:57 AM
I researched some distributors for music equipment which I am interested in expanding into.

I signed up for an account on Harris-Teller, Inc. I am looking at their catalog right now and on the first page (it's a PDF) there is a thing that says, "all prices are suggested retail". Which I assume that means it is what they suggest me to price once I receive the product?

Well... how much is the actual product for ME to buy? Does that make sense? Like, how much am I paying? Not that amount right? I'm really confused...

Do I have to contact them and ask them about their prices?

Newbie question.... I'm sorry...

Just trying to learn

Thank you

billbenson
07-26-2014, 04:39 AM
Suggested retail is the price they consider a fair price to the en user, your customer. That's what they think you should sell it for. You should have some discount off of that price to buy it.

Paul
07-26-2014, 10:26 AM
Definitely call them. If they are not posting wholesale prices then there will likely be a formula of a percentage of the suggested retail.
Often manufacturers will inflate the suggested retail beyond normal markup levels. It gives the retailer a way to show or advertise a “legitimate” discount and still get a reasonable markup. IE: 30% OFF MSRP (manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price) .

It’s going to be difficult to be competitive on common products, your competition has access to the same suppliers, especially online. I think Bill mentioned you should try to develop a relationship with the supplier(s) more than just through their website. That’s why trade shows are good. A lot of these suppliers may have “deals” they don’t post, end runs, seconds, returns etc. Sometimes they like having outlets for their odd lots.

You might also consider something uniquely Alaskan. Maybe local arts or crafts. Not sure what but people might like the Alaska theme.

bjay99
07-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Your price will be dependent on the quantity that you are buying and the terms set for payment.

Well... how much is the actual product for ME to buy? Does that make sense? Like, how much am I paying? Not that amount right? I'm really confused...

Do I have to contact them and ask them about their prices?