PDA

View Full Version : Business name database.

brian779
08-06-2014, 08:53 PM
I have a few questions I was typing into the Business name database to find a name that hasn't been taken. I will now throw a hypothetical and maybe someone can help me understand what i see on the screen and what it means. I typed in for example Chicken but Chicken was taken and said "forfeited" (what does that mean?) can i still apply for it if it was forfeited? Then i typed ChickenS, with an S at the end and it said no named exists, can i take that name even though the rules stated i cant take a name similar to another to pretend someone i am not. I don't want to get sued pretty much. I know if i type Brian's Chickens i know i am more safe but I honestly dont think people care for my name. They rather see the company name.

Disclaimer: not making a chicken company, hypothetical. Oh God I can see the trolls applying Bengay on their hands.

Harold Mansfield
08-06-2014, 10:50 PM
What kind of database are you searching in? Trademarks? Local DBA's? URL's?

brian779
08-07-2014, 01:02 AM
What kind of database are you searching in? Trademarks? Local DBA's? URL's?

Department of Assessments and Taxation so I can file a Trade name application

Harold Mansfield
08-07-2014, 08:50 AM
Department of Assessments and Taxation so I can file a Trade name application
State of Maryland? You have to give us information. There are people here from all around the world we can't automatically know.

Forfeited usually means that the name is no longer in use. Some municipalities will hold the name for a certain time period (like 30 days) to give the owner time to reclaim it.
I would think a simple phone call to the Department would give you an exact answer.

But more importantly, you can have the same name as another business. As long as it's not the same type of business.
There are 1000's of companies where I live called "Silver State" something or other. There are also many companies named McDonald's , they just don't sell hamburgers.

An easier way to check available names, and also more importantly...is if it's a available as a URL. No sense in checking local DBA's if you can't register the business name to use online.
If it's a trademarked name the owner will have the URL registered so that it's not available. Also 9 times out of 10 if an existing business has that name (trademark or not) they'll have the URL registered.