PDA

View Full Version : LLC - DBA in two states

winger
08-14-2014, 09:47 PM
I am trying to register an LLC for my new business. My primary residence is in Wyoming, which has some tax advantages I know. The business will be operating out of Arizona for 6 months out of the year. I bought this company which already has a registered LLC in Arizona, and I am keeping the same name. I do not want to take over the existing LLC because I do not want to assume any legal liabilities from the previous owners.

My question is what is the best way to go about registering my LLC? Can I register the LLC and DBA in Wyoming since I am here half of the year and it is my primary residence? In this case will I still have legal protection in Arizona? Do I have to register in Arizona for tax purposes?

Alternatively, can I have my LLC in Wyoming yet register my DBA in Arizona?

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :D

Freelancier
08-14-2014, 11:10 PM
Your LLC can operate anywhere. Your d/b/a is a name registered in a county representing your name for the purposes of doing business in that county. Your liability shield is with the company, not the state where your company operates. If you want to take over the other company without owning their LLC, buy their assets instead of buying the company. If you buy the company, you'll end up owning any liability (although the LLC's shield might protect you if they did everything right), but if you've already done that....

You can register an LLC in Arizona by having an "agent" in AZ who is willing to accept any legal documents for you there. There may be advantages to having an LLC in both states, but I'd leave that question to an attorney who can give you advice specific to your situation.