PDA

View Full Version : Fancy Car

JB1
09-02-2014, 11:02 PM
I am receiving push from my business partners to procure a new vehicle - the claim is that people are more comfortable working with successful business people and that a fancy car will help to solidify this in their mind. What are the thoughts of the community on this? Have you ever not done business with someone because of their car? Moreover, have you ever been impressed with someone because of their car?

My current car is 10 years old and shows some age.

billbenson
09-03-2014, 12:37 AM
If you take customers out in your car, then a modest sedan is fine, say a Toyota Camray or similar.

If you don't, then drive whatever car you want. I drive a 94 for pickup. If I was a field guy covering a state, I'd probably buy something nice, but I drive 5 miles or less a day.

JB1
09-03-2014, 01:08 AM
We are an engineering firm that rarely has customer visits (most are more than 100 miles away).

webdesignphx
09-03-2014, 01:36 AM
As long as you are not driving a beat up car you should be fine. I have never not done business with someone because of their car.

Harold Mansfield
09-03-2014, 10:17 AM
He's correct in that in some industries appearances are part of it. Not many people want to invest with a struggling financial adviser, or buy a home from a real estate agent who uses a rope for a belt.

But I agree with the previous. If you use your car in business, then yes...you probably want to get something a little more "corporate" and write off as much as you can on it. No need to get crazy. Lincoln Town Car is always a solid choice too. But if customers rarely, if ever even see your car, then drive whatever you want.

Can you lease a company car? If your partners think you need appearances, see if they are willing to set up a company car situation. Seems to me that they already made the case that it is for work. I'm sure there's a few tax benefits to it as well.

huggytree
09-03-2014, 05:42 PM
100% chance that you are judged by your car being a salesman.....too old makes you look bad, too high end makes you look expensive..You cant drive a $65k car if your selling to middle class

i think a newer normal level car would work just fine....i wouldnt go any higher than an impala or a Camry

it all depends on what your trying to accomplish and who your customers are.....

if you were selling me landscaping and show up in a Lexus id probably think you were making too much $$....youd be working hard from the first moment on to try to get me as a customer because of this.

Wozcreative
09-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Probably and most definitely you'd be judged by your car. However how much improvement is needed depends on who your target audience is and how you'll be using the vehicle.

- Parking in front of your client's office? Make sure it's clean on the outside.
- Driving them around? Make sure you have a very clean, pet free, smoke free vehicle inside and out.
- If you are driving a vehicle that shows noticeable dents, scratches, rust, cloudy/yellow headlights etc., you should consider updating to a new vehicle (but you don't need anything crazy.. you can even go for used pre-owned etc.)
- Sometimes if you get too expensive a car you may look like you charge too much so be reasonable.

I'm a graphic designer and used to drive a big clunky tank of a dodge nitro. I always kept it bright and shiny and clean and people always commented on my "nice truck". I've switched to a mini cooper S which is a lot more indicative of being a graphic designer. It's unique, small, customized and kick-ass. However I could have went with something cheaper like a fiat 500 or a scion. Leases are cheap and if you're doing business, theres no reason you should be driving a rust bucket.

Anyway one thing about my vehicle is that I think it will show my clients that I'm not cheap to do business with. Graphic design isn't a hobby, it's a business.

J from Michigan
09-03-2014, 07:45 PM
the claim is that people are more comfortable working with successful business people and that a fancy car will help to solidify this in their mind.
I'm willing to bet there is a 'context' issue with your post.

I don't think they are suggesting that you will lose business because of your car...
I think they are saying THEY don't like working with someone who drives a beat up car.

I would never rip an a persons ride, if that's all they could afford.
But they are your partners, and probably have an idea that you could afford newer and/or cleaner one.
- I bet "fancy" is your word, not theirs...

Think about it: even a phone support rep (who never see's someone face to face) is typically not allowed to wear ripped jeans and stained t-shirts to work.

Wozcreative
09-03-2014, 08:02 PM
The thing is with a car you have to be careful.. if you are the type to drive a rust bucket but walk around and gloat about all the vacations you take, or the things you buy you may get people thinking "wow this guy wastes his money and drives a rust bucket".. why is he so bad with his money?!".

One thing about companies is that I've once been told that before going in for an interview to a company, to take a good look at the parking lot.. what are these people driving? Are they **** boxes? Or do they get paid enough to drive a nice/presentable car?

Better yet... you can take a picture of it and show us. We will tell you what the "first impression" we get from it.

Harold Mansfield
09-03-2014, 08:30 PM
On the opposite end of the spectrum, when I was a bartender there were times and places where we worked where we would hide our cars so that customers didn't know what we drove or people would stop tipping as much.

When I drove a limo, I had people complain about tipping me because I wore better suits than they did.

It may be important in some instances..broker, financial manager, real estate agent and so on. But there's also that group of people who don't like paying others who they perceive as having more than them.

Lastly, if you've ever watched American Greed the most common thing that most of the scammers have is that they spent money to keep up appearances so that it was easier to con people into believing they were successful and give them money.

So there's a grain of salt to be had with that notion of appearances.

Fulcrum
09-03-2014, 10:51 PM
shows noticeable dents, scratches, rust, cloudy/yellow headlights etc.

You just described my truck. Then again, I'm also doing a fair bit of gravel/logging road driving. Scratches and dents just come with the territory.

Paul
09-05-2014, 02:01 AM
It all depends. There was a time I had to have an expensive good looking car just because I would have to meet people who were very successful and they all had expensive cars. I would have looked out of place. Now I just drive a Toyota suv, no need for those kinds of meetings.

On the other hand there are some very wealthy people who don't drive fancy cars. One I know drives an old ford station wagon. I don't really know why, but he loves it. It's like he enjoys showing up in a goofy car.

Another older very wealthy guy drove a jeep. His sons (who all drove expensive cars) insisted he drive the most expensive mercedes. He had it for about a week and then changed it for another jeep. When I asked him why he got rid of the big benz he said he was embarrassed and he thought it was rude. In his case he was SO wealthy and well known he didn't need to impress anybody.

JB1
09-05-2014, 09:20 AM
To address one posters comment: The car I drive is in shape for both the good exterior and interior, but it is a low-mid tier vehicle.

Also my hesitation is that several months ago at an industry working group (mostly senior engineers), I got a 'standard' rental and was placed in a Caddie. This is a group I have been working with for several years, but nearly all of the members joked about how well business was going and that I have probably been charging them too much.

Harold Mansfield
09-05-2014, 09:51 AM
To address one posters comment: The car I drive is in shape for both the good exterior and interior, but it is a low-mid tier vehicle.

Also my hesitation is that several months ago at an industry working group (mostly senior engineers), I got a 'standard' rental and was placed in a Caddie. This is a group I have been working with for several years, but nearly all of the members joked about how well business was going and that I have probably been charging them too much.

And that's the whole point. You should stay inline with your customer base and associates. Just like my bartending story, no one wants to tip a bunch of bartenders driving tricked out SUV's and sports cars and wearing Rolex's, Breitling's and Movado's behind the bar.

huggytree
09-06-2014, 07:27 PM

bottom of the line caddie's are in the low/mid $30k's.....same price as a mid level family car.....i think a bottom level Cadillac is acceptable for most salesmen

maybe people dont realize how affordable they are

AudaciousKR
09-06-2014, 09:57 PM
Good Question! The car you drive is important only depending on the the type of business you are in and your target market. If your in traditional business a car that is practical is important, the year is not so much . If your in network marketing and your target audience is between 18 - 39 it is very important to have a fancy car company or non company car. Networking Marketing and Sales is about lifestyle, traditional business is not.

Kreater
09-07-2014, 02:16 AM
I am receiving push from my business partners to procure a new vehicle - the claim is that people are more comfortable working with successful business people and that a fancy car will help to solidify this in their mind. What are the thoughts of the community on this? Have you ever not done business with someone because of their car? Moreover, have you ever been impressed with someone because of their car?

My current car is 10 years old and shows some age.
It's good and bad.

Yes it will demonstrate success, and increase your reputation with employees and customers.

But no, it will also bring in people who think you have more money than you do, attract more spammers and scammers, and also target you for theft since people perceive that you have extra money on you.

Wozcreative
09-07-2014, 08:18 PM
bottom of the line caddie's are in the low/mid $30k's.....same price as a mid level family car.....i think a bottom level Cadillac is acceptable for most salesmen

This is something myself and my boyfriend talk about a lot on the road.. there are people who spend their $ on "no hopes in hell" type cars where their actual money would have been better spent on a better quality vehicle for the same price!

J from Michigan
09-07-2014, 09:43 PM
This is a group I have been working with for several years, but nearly all of the members joked about how well business was going and that I have probably been charging them too much.
Trust me, this comment is as common as talking about "the weather." People are always looking for something to talk about.
You just happen to be the "sparkly thing" that caught their eye.

But what concerns me is that your company has set a bar in the minds of their customers.
This bar triggered their automated response, to comment on a car that they feel is 'above' your pay grade.

Fulcrum
09-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Trust me, this comment is as common as talking about "the weather." People are always looking for something to talk about.
You just happen to be the "sparkly thing" that caught their eye.

But what concerns me is that your company has set a bar in the minds of their customers.
This bar triggered their automated response, to comment on a car that they feel is 'above' your pay grade.

When my parents built their current home in 1989, they lost a few local customers who thought they made too much money. That lesson alone taught me to never have a flashy vehicle when I go to visit customers.

J from Michigan
09-08-2014, 10:57 PM
When my parents built their current home in 1989, they lost a few local customers who thought they made too much money. That lesson alone taught me to never have a flashy vehicle when I go to visit customers.

Come on, man... you gotta give me more than that.

You're talking about locals (read: "neighbors") getting all "judgy" on the size of your parents house.
And your 'lesson learned' from that is, that since they lost a few customers, you should never drive a flashy vehicle?!?

(By the way- exactly what did your parents do, that made their customers so concerned about the size of their house?)

Don't get me wrong, there will be times I questions someones vehicle as being 'too flashy': If you pull up in a Bentley, and try to sell me peanuts, I'm not going to think "ooh, he's making too much off peanuts."
I'm going to think "why is this guy renting a Bentley, trying to make me think he's here to sell me peanuts.?"

But a partner in an engineering firm driving a Cadillac? I'm thinking... actually I'm not thinking much about it at all.
Maybe? "ok, let's build something?"

Fulcrum
09-09-2014, 10:11 PM
It wasn't so much the size of the house, they are not people who will flaunt what they have. It had more to do with the neighbors feeling that they were being overcharged because they were able to build (great deal on land, borrowed from family, the inside of the house was bare bones, and there was a real estate/lending meltdown going on at the time). They weren't as their pricing was, and still is, among the lowest in their industry (butchers). My toys are equipment that I can put into the shop. I've been called crazy for buying a new welder (over sized for what I currently do but opens me up to larger projects) and planning to build a large, heavy duty, CNC plasma cutter.

Back on topic, an engineer with a Cadillac I wouldn't have a problem with unless it was the wrong vehicle for the job. Engineers don't come cheap and they got some expensive schooling, training, insurance, etc to pay for as well.

J from Michigan
09-10-2014, 07:56 PM
I "liked" everything about your post, Fulcrum.
Sounds like your parents were hard working honest people who DESERVED what they got.
Their neighbors, on the other hand, should be ashamed of themselves.

And I'm the same way with my 'toys.' I try to make purchase that I can 'grow into."
Good for you! Cheers!

Blessed
09-12-2014, 12:37 PM

It's all about perception - it really doesn't matter how affordable a Cadillac is, what matters is the prestige and perception of wealth that comes along with a Cadillac.

Same thing with Fulcrum's parent's house - they got a great deal and went bare-bones where necessary - and I'm sure were able to make their new house into a comfortable home over time. The neighbors should be ashamed of themselves! Again though - it's all perception and the assumptions that people make based on what they see on the outside.

Another example is the Mini Cooper that Wozcreative drives - it's not how much the car costs, it's the "image" that goes along with it - like the funky vehicle my friend the photographer drives - she drives it because it's funky and that matches her professional photographer image and it has her logo on the windows - and it's boxy so it fits her photography equipment nicely...

I drive a 2003 Ford Expedition - and I haul stuff around for the consignment sale I do so much work with so the hauling capacity is a definite plus. The SUV looks nice on the outside, needs to be cleaned right now but the inside is leather and it's nice, starting to show some wear.... but nothing that makes people look down on me and my work. I can park it in any parking lot and it fits my Mom status too. Fortunately I don't have to drive much - because it only gets 16/17 mpg! Now... anytime I get a chance to drive my Dad's Jaquar (Convertible XK series...) I take the opportunity! Just because I have a practical car doesn't mean I've forgotten how fun a nice one can be to drive :)

TTS
10-22-2014, 04:33 AM
Hey guys new user and first post here. Just found this forum tonight and it seems great. My business was mentioned by another poster so I thought I should add my 2 cents. I'm a landscaper and it's absolutely correct that what you show up in matters. Price however is not a deciding factor. I own a 2001 jaguar that I paid $5,000 for however visually it's in great shape and looks new as the cars never change much. Customers will scoff if I show up in that car however in their eyes it's completely normal and almost expected if I show up in a fairly new clean Ford F450 that sells for around 70k new. What you drive needs to fit into people's expectations based on your business and market segment.

shrinkme
10-22-2014, 10:36 PM
I would honestly say that the way you look, and the ideas you have, mean far more than what you drive. Having said that, I agree with others who say that if you drive a comfortable sedan, that should be most of the battle. If you drive clients, something that people are not scared of should be okay.

JessicaDiaz
11-01-2014, 12:38 PM
it's like 50/50
more likely it depends on the business you held.
Appearance is important.
Why do you have to wear suits and ties and be all groomed in your interview or meeting with clients?
People do care about physical appearance.