PDA

View Full Version : World GDP by sector.

RichardtheFrog
10-26-2014, 02:07 PM
I don't know if this is the appropriate section for this section, or if there is a section of this forum where this question fall in to.

I am trying to find a detail of World GDP (GWP) by sector.

The World GDP is somewhere around 76.7 trillion.

How much of this is energy industry? How much is home construction? Mining? Agriculture?

This seems like an easy bit of information to find, but I have looked and not found it. Where can I find this?

Brian Altenhofel
10-27-2014, 02:17 AM
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2012.html

RichardtheFrog
10-27-2014, 10:00 AM
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2012.html

That's by country. But is it there by industry as well? Does it specify energy from mining, etc.?

Harold Mansfield
10-27-2014, 10:46 AM
Use Google

RichardtheFrog
10-27-2014, 01:14 PM
Tried to use Google. Nothing came up. It seems like it would be an easy piece of info to find, but it's not.

The world GDP is 76.8 trillion USD. So how much of this is taken up by petroleum, natural gas, coal, hydroelectric, nuclear, etc. (as a whole).

This seems like it would be the easiest piece of information to find. But I cannot find it.

Harold Mansfield
10-27-2014, 01:25 PM
Tried to use Google. Nothing came up. It seems like it would be an easy piece of info to find, but it's not.

The world GDP is 76.8 trillion USD. So how much of this is taken up by petroleum, natural gas, coal, hydroelectric, nuclear, etc. (as a whole).

This seems like it would be the easiest piece of information to find. But I cannot find it.

You may have to consult multiple sources to get the specific details that you want. Probably not going to get it all with one link.
The information is out there, you just have to spend the time to do some research.

RichardtheFrog
10-27-2014, 01:30 PM
Yea. You would think someone would have done this already, though. It seems like it would be a highly demanded statistic.

Harold Mansfield
10-27-2014, 02:20 PM
Yea. You would think someone would have done this already, though. It seems like it would be a highly demanded statistic.
Someone has. You just have to spend time to find the specific information that you want. Everything isn't packaged perfectly for every possible scenario, but the information is out there.

Brian Altenhofel
10-27-2014, 02:30 PM
If you look at the CIA one, that is by country then by sector. A sector is an aggregation of industries. You might check https://www.data.gov/ and see if the dataset the CIA used is available. If not, make a request (https://www.data.gov/contact#request).

Paul
11-02-2014, 12:50 AM

Researchers charge large amounts for in depth research and statistics. They aren't going to post it for free. You will likely have to cobble the info together yourself, as has been suggested. Then maybe you can sell it!

RichardtheFrog
11-02-2014, 12:52 AM
True, but you can use Yahoo! Finance and other sources to get lots of information on stocks at a glance. It took countless hours or research to figure out the GDP, etc. and that is available to me without having to do it myself.

Paul
11-02-2014, 01:06 AM
True, but you can use Yahoo! Finance and other sources to get lots of information on stocks at a glance. It took countless hours or research to figure out the GDP, etc. and that is available to me without having to do it myself.

That's because all stock info is public knowledge. Yahoo just reposts what is in the SEC filings, they just pick it up from EDGAR, the portal for all SEC filings. But much of the real in depth analysis and research is not free to the public.

Other than the government, why would anyone post the results of their research for free?

RichardtheFrog
11-02-2014, 10:09 AM
"The World GDP is something like 77 trillion. How much is devoted to the energy industry?" This seems like it should be the easiest bit of information to find. I think I saw it once in an Almanac. I need to check there.