PDA

View Full Version : Credit card fraud codes

newuser
10-29-2014, 06:56 PM
Are there anyone out there in the credit card merchant services business that can assist?

I just got a 'DRAFT RETRIEVAL PRENOTIFICATION" letter. I got a reason code: 33.

I personally remember this transaction in question. They bought the item, provided a driver's license. I wrote them an invoice with all the information from the ID. Their sales draft is swiped and signed.

I just faxed over a copy of the sales draft and invoice. What do I do now? And will this work in my favor? These merchant services/card issuer's are not very merchant friendly. I don't know what else to do to make sure the buyer is legit. They have ID, I swipe the card and have them sign it.

Brian Altenhofel
10-29-2014, 09:58 PM
It depends on the issuer, but that sounds like the buyer didn't recognize the charge and was unable to determine with their bank who the merchant (you) is for that transaction. Usually that's caused when the merchant name that shows up on the bank statement is something unrecognizable (used to be a big problem when processing cards with PayPal and other "easy" processors). Sometimes it happens when someone is in a hurry. Sometimes it's a buyer wanting something for free.

newuser
10-30-2014, 12:24 AM
Yeah, the reasoning on the letter was for Fraud investigation, yada yada. So if this person is trying to get something for free and just claims it's a BS transaction, what happens? Do the card issuer just side with them and the merchant loses the money and the merchandise? I don't know what they expect from a merchant? ID, swipe, sign is the only thing we can do. I should be protected.

theBADGuy
12-06-2014, 03:44 PM
Dispute. It with your merchant service. Company. So this doesn't resolve in a charge back fee or anything depending on the amount and your history some companies will take the hit for you

LarsJ
12-06-2014, 05:47 PM
Is this a tangible product? Who's your merchant and are you faxing directly to the bank asking for this information? Are they using the actual words "chargeback" on any forms?