PDA

View Full Version : Which business structure should I choose?

justalittle
10-30-2014, 12:27 AM
Hi guys,

First time here, nice to meet you all. :D

I'd like to start a small business for data processing, analysis in our local area in cal.

Which business structure is suitable for me?
And about the register state. How can I register in other states? Is a registered agent necessary? Thanks

Freelancier
10-30-2014, 07:12 AM
Do you have any personal assets you need to protect, like a home? Does the work have the possibility of a liability lawsuit if something goes wrong? If so, then an LLC or Corporation are your best choices. Single person LLC or S-Corporations are very similar, but LLC is usually easier to form.

You register in other states by having an "agent" in that state (either a family member, good friend, or a lawyer who does that kind of thing). The registered agent is just so that you have a local person who will receive any official deliveries (e.g., a summons to appear or a lawsuit filing). We've had a "foreign" LLC in Florida for a couple of years now and our agent has yet to receive anything.

justalittle
10-31-2014, 12:53 AM
Do you have any personal assets you need to protect, like a home? Does the work have the possibility of a liability lawsuit if something goes wrong? If so, then an LLC or Corporation are your best choices. Single person LLC or S-Corporations are very similar, but LLC is usually easier to form.

You register in other states by having an "agent" in that state (either a family member, good friend, or a lawyer who does that kind of thing). The registered agent is just so that you have a local person who will receive any official deliveries (e.g., a summons to appear or a lawsuit filing). We've had a "foreign" LLC in Florida for a couple of years now and our agent has yet to receive anything.

Thanks Freelancier :D

A home...you mean like a house? I haven't buy any house property jet.
The possibility of a liability lawsuit...We will avoid that possibility, but I'm not familiar with Lawsuit, only some common sense.

What's that kind of lawyer called?