PDA

View Full Version : Which web services is better?

justalittle
11-04-2014, 10:35 PM
godaddy or amazon web service?

For company's web page.
Storage for now is about 100GB
Thanks

Wozcreative
11-04-2014, 11:11 PM
Do you mean hosting server? I'd look elsewhere.

Harold Mansfield
11-04-2014, 11:50 PM
Between those 2 choices? Amazon Web Services.

Brian Altenhofel
11-05-2014, 12:25 AM
Out of those two options, I'd go Amazon. If you're looking at cloud hosting (Amazon), I'd strongly urge you to look at Rackspace. AWS looks cheaper on the surface, but by the time they get done nickel-and-diming you Rackspace looks much more attractive. (Plus the support is much better.)

Rackspace is my primary upstream provider, and I chose them after doing a very thorough cost comparison among AWS, HP, and Rackspace using real-world usage scenarios from a individual site to scaling out far past what I currently run. Real CPU/$, RAM/$, and IOPS/$ were also considered.

webdesignphx
11-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Between those 2 choices? Amazon Web Services.

I agree with Harold. If those 2 are your only options go with Amazon Web Services. I think Godaddy is great for domain names but large hosting projects not so much...

Owen
11-15-2014, 12:09 AM
Amazon is great, but they can be annoying at times...they also don't have much support unlike RackSpace.

will.i.earn
11-16-2014, 03:33 AM
Not sure if Amazon still offer a free month of their Web Services as trial - you should take advantage if they do.

MarkPoppen
11-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Depends on what you need it for. If you're stuck choosing between those 2, I'd go with Amazon, but there are other options that might be a better fit.

Sarah - Dufferin Media
11-19-2014, 07:09 AM
We have used GoDaddy mainly for domain registration and some small wordpress projects. I agree with the other members if your hosting needs are bigger, probably best to go a step up.

Zman
11-19-2014, 09:16 AM
My vote is for Amazon too. Just like others I use Godaddy for domain names. Their web hosting leaves much to be desired. AWS is much better, faster, more reliable... but not very user friendly. Kind of like a MAC... takes a while to figure out but once you do the performance is much better,

NeilS
11-21-2014, 12:10 PM
What are you actually planning to use it for? I'm also inclined to recommend AWS but would be good to know the use.

vnrecruitment
11-23-2014, 11:57 PM
In my opinion, you should use Amazon web because they promise high speed and offer globally distributed DNS servers and a programmable interface. While GoDaddy doesn't offer a programmable interface.
If you choose Amazon web, you should use Amazon Route 53 with main reasons:

+ Amazon has clearly documented how their server setup is. They use Anycast, and have DNS servers in 15+ locations worldwide. Their service seems well engineered for high uptime.

+ Having your DNS resolve from 15+ locations worldwide makes your website a little bit faster for your end users. It also allows you to use a lower TTL, which means in case of a website failure, you can move your service over to a new IP faster.

+ In the future, Amazon plans to integrate Route53 with their other cloud offerings. If you uses some of these, such as EC2 and Elastic Load Balancer, then you will benefit from this integration. What they'll build isn't known yet, but one-step setup of Elastic Load Balancing and health check integration with CloudWatch seem like reasonable guesses.