PDA

View Full Version : Signage HELP please...

GenX
11-15-2014, 11:30 AM
So we are moving from our starter location to a much better location. Of course, the new location (in a popular shopping center) requires that we have certain signs. The one of concern for me is the outdoor frontage sign. It must have back-lighted, channeled letters that are 24'' tall for uppercase. My company name is 4 letters. Long story short our local sign maker wants to charge me $5500 for 4 letters and said it could take a month to complete. This sound absolutely ludicrous to me. I went online to several places and found I could have the letters built to my specs and shipped for $600.

I'm not super sure what I'm asking, I guess...
1. does $5500 seem crazy to anyone else?
2. Has anyone bought channeled letter signs online before?
3. Am I missing something?
4. Any help with good signage you can offer will be of great help.

Thanks much folks!

Guy

GenX
11-15-2014, 01:03 PM
Nobody? :)

Owen
11-15-2014, 09:13 PM
So we are moving from our starter location to a much better location. Of course, the new location (in a popular shopping center) requires that we have certain signs. The one of concern for me is the outdoor frontage sign. It must have back-lighted, channeled letters that are 24'' tall for uppercase. My company name is 4 letters. Long story short our local sign maker wants to charge me $5500 for 4 letters and said it could take a month to complete. This sound absolutely ludicrous to me. I went online to several places and found I could have the letters built to my specs and shipped for $600.

I'm not super sure what I'm asking, I guess...
1. does $5500 seem crazy to anyone else?
2. Has anyone bought channeled letter signs online before?
3. Am I missing something?
4. Any help with good signage you can offer will be of great help.

Thanks much folks!

Guy

1. He's probably charging so high since you are a company
2. No, i haven't
3. Idk
4. I don't make signs i make video games

GenX
11-15-2014, 09:19 PM
1. He's probably charging so high since you are a company
2. No, i haven't
3. Idk
4. I don't make signs i make video games

Thanks for the reply :)

Fulcrum
11-15-2014, 11:21 PM
I'd hit the guy up and ask him why his price is almost 10x what you can get elsewhere. Sometimes there is a reason for the price discrepancy.

MyITGuy
11-16-2014, 12:08 PM
I paid $2K for signage at my location, and it wasn't back lit...so while it may not be too far off, it is something I would look into.

Definitely shop around to other vendors, but keep in mind that when your comparing to prices online that there are other factors (Permits, Insurance requirements from property, labor, electrical contractor, and warranty)

GenX
11-16-2014, 12:23 PM
Thanks folks!!!

Are we allowed to post pics of signage here? If so I would love to seem some our the folks on here signs.

MyITGuy
11-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Don't see why not. Mine from my original company name is attached:

Wozcreative
11-16-2014, 09:20 PM
Often times this depends on what type of font you're using and the detail involved.
Facening them so they don't fall down on someone's head (so you don't get sued) might need to be custom done for this font.
The electrical work involved.
Any custom pantone/special colours you're trying to match.

Your quote should include a breakdown of the cost of developing the letters and the installation costs in the invoice.

Me thinks you trust these guys to do a better job than the other guys quoting $600. Otherwise you'd go to them without asking why these first guys are so high.
Make sure it comes with a fading warranty of some sort.. nothings worse than paying for a sign that will fade in the sun within 3 months.

Wozcreative
11-16-2014, 09:23 PM
By the way.. if you work with a graphic designer, often times they can get an even cheaper price for you... we get wholesale pricing :)