PDA

View Full Version : Hello from North Devon in the UK

FlyingKite
11-24-2014, 04:51 PM
Hello all

I work from home and run a couple of websites for graphic design services, 3d and illustration. Hard work working for myself but wouldn't have it any other way. Keeps me on my toes.

cheers
Jon

JC
11-24-2014, 05:12 PM
Hello all

I work from home and run a couple of websites for graphic design services, 3d and illustration. Hard work working for myself but wouldn't have it any other way. Keeps me on my toes.

cheers
Jon

Hi there, I'm Jon as well. Hope you like it here!

vangogh
11-24-2014, 05:52 PM
Welcome to the forum Jon. You're in good company. There are a few designers here, myself included, and plenty of people working at home. I'm with you. It's hard, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Looking forward to getting to know you and thanks for joining the community.

FlyingKite
11-25-2014, 05:22 AM
I've been riding the internet / home broadband wave for the last few years. Has worked well for me, especially google, pdfs, high speed broadband. Helped with moving to a more rural location and out of London.

David Hunter
11-25-2014, 10:51 AM
Welcome, Jon!

I just took the leap last Friday to go 100% self employed. Scary and exciting at the same time.

FlyingKite
11-26-2014, 04:58 AM
Hi David

Good luck. It's tough to start off with but it's exciting. Work hard, adapt, be smart and pretty much anyone can make being self-employed a success.

The worst thing is coming across cheats and those who don't pay. My tip would be get a deposit up front from anyone who has not been in business a long time.

vangogh
11-26-2014, 08:30 AM
I've been riding the internet / home broadband wave for the last few years

It's been about 10 years for me now. I don't think I could ever go back to a 9-5.

My tip would be get a deposit

Absolutely. That was the very first lesson I learned. If a project is small I'll ask or half up front and half when finished, but for larger projects, I'll divide it into three or four. That way neither the client nor myself is ever on the hook for too much money or work.

I just took the leap last Friday to go 100% self employed. Scary and exciting at the same time.

Congrats David. Scary and exciting is exactly the way to describe it. I'll echo everything else Jon said too. Work hard and work smart and just look to get better with each and every client and project. You'll make some mistakes along the way, but as long as you learn from it you won't make the same mistake again. I remember when I started it seemed like there was so much to learn and so many things were confusing, but it didn't take long for the confusion to go away.

Again congrats.