PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice in starting up an online cross-stitch business

kelly55
11-27-2014, 02:36 AM
Hi everyone!

I just joined this forum and I already I am enjoying the atmosphere. :D

I would love to hear your advice. My objective is to set up an online business focusing on hand-made cross stitch pieces. I found many creative cross-stitch patterns on Pinterest, google search etc. and I want to use them to copy the designs.
How could I showcase these pictures in my online catalog without going against copyright regulations? What is the best way to give credit and recognition from where these images origin?

Thank you so much! :D

JC
11-27-2014, 06:02 AM
Hi everyone!

I would love to hear your advice. My objective is to set up an online business focusing on hand-made cross stitch pieces. I found many creative cross-stitch patterns on Pinterest, google search etc. and I want to use them to copy the designs.
How could I showcase these pictures in my online catalog without going against copyright regulations? What is the best way to give credit and recognition from where these images origin?

Hi Kelly! I posted some general images that I googled on my website to illustrate what we do and a company who owned one of the pics contacted me and asked me politely if I could give their company credit for all to see. I would assume if you can find the owner of the pic that you should contact them and ask permission and they may ask you to do the same. Hope this helps :)

kelly55
11-27-2014, 11:37 PM
Hi JC! Thank you so much for your response! That is a great idea! :D That way, I will not be violating copyright laws because I asked their permission. I will try it!

JC
11-28-2014, 10:35 AM
Oh you're welcome! Let me know how it goes! :)

Harold Mansfield
11-28-2014, 11:56 AM
Hi everyone!

The very best way is to display your own images. If you're copying these images and creating cross stitch patters, then display the finished work as your product.
Yes, you could ask for permission for each image but most times people will not let you use their images for commercials purposes...to make money off of them...without asking for a fee.

If you're using logos like say sports teams or popular products then you would have to arrange a licensing deal. Some of the patterns that you've found may already be for sale, or the templates available for sale or license to businesses just like yours.

It is almost always a bad a idea to use images found on the web on your website. Especially if it's for your catalog. For your catalog you should create your own catalog of original work and designs.
If your intent is to show that you can recreate any pattern, then promote it as such using your own images or images that you've purchased and have permission to use as examples.

AdamLewis
12-05-2014, 04:12 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum as well.

I do have some experience with online marketing. It is best to use your own original images as was stated by Harold Mansfield. In lieu of that, since you're just starting out, you can give an attribution with a link to the original image. You could simply say, I found this image posted on Pinterest by XYZ. I am using it as an example for my design. Here is an article that might also help you: Copyright Fair Use and How It Works With Images Online (http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/copyright-fair-use-and-how-it-works-for-online-images/) Best!