PDA

View Full Version : Feeback / Suggestions for Business Name

artanis50
12-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Hi everyone,
New here and I want to take some time to look around. I used to make dog collars and leashes as a hobby and sold them at craft fairs. I did pretty well so I'm considering starting up a business. I'd like to branch out into other dog items as well - placemats, harnesses, treats, etc. I'm having trouble coming up with a good name. I want a .com website so the name must be available. This is by far my biggest challenge in naming the business. Here are a few ideas I've come up with so far. Looking for feedback on what you like or don't like about them and any suggestions you may have.

Naughty Dog Gear (this is similar to the name I used at craft fairs)
Bean's Barkery (Bean is the name of one of my dogs)
Southern Biscuit

I like the last 2, but they make it seem like I focus purely on treats ....

Thanks for any thoughts or feedback you can provide!

LarsJ
12-08-2014, 01:20 PM
I know there are domain name registrars that also give you suggestions on domain names and can give you a few ideas. Kind of like using tools for finding effective key-words for Search Engine Optimization. I would just suggest not using a domain name that is too specific because if you find out later that a certain kind of product you make is doing really well you wouldn't want a domain name that has nothing to do with that product. Kind of like you mentioned as well... I like Naughty Dog Gear :) because my dog would be the first in line! Sometimes the hardest part is buying a domain that isn't already taken though :(

David Hunter
12-08-2014, 01:50 PM
I like Naughty Dog Gear, too.

And, you're right... the others sound like you're just making dog treats.

Here's a tip... but sure to register your domain as soon as you get the idea and know it's not taken. I've heard of domain registers registering the name after someone doesn't buy it, only to make it a premium domain and charge you more for it.

ludovic
12-08-2014, 02:10 PM
I prefer naughty dog gear

Good luck :)

Harold Mansfield
12-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Which are available to be registered as a .com domain? Don't put the cart before the horse.

artanis50
12-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback! My main concerns with using Naughty Dog Gear are that it focuses more on "gear", and hopefully is not *misinterpreted*! lol. There is also a video game company called Naughty Dog - which I why I need to add "Gear" to my name. The 3 options I provided are all available as .com domains - which is why I was asking for feedback on them. Naughty Dog was how this whole idea started - and I have 2 VERY naughty dogs of my own who inspired me to start the business. Maybe I should stick with the name after all. I very much appreciate you taking the time to let me know what you think. I still welcome additional feedback!

BizAdvisor
12-09-2014, 10:21 PM
We live in a world where Zoosk, Google, Yahoo, Bing, Zazzle... are considered acceptable business names. Perhaps what I'm getting at is this: Come up with a short, wacky word that means absolutely nothing, but is simply fun to say; like ZORTS, SNOUTS, Zoink, ZORT, Slabbers...etc. Obviously, company names don't have to make since or be related to the products the company manufactures.

Harold Mansfield
12-09-2014, 10:31 PM
We live in a world where Zoosk, Google, Yahoo, Bing, Zazzle... are considered acceptable business names.

Actually, we live in a world where you can spend millions to brand, market and advertise a short, wacky word that has nothing to do with the product into recognition.

HooktoWin
12-10-2014, 12:03 AM
Hi everyone,
New here and I want to take some time to look around. I used to make dog collars and leashes as a hobby and sold them at craft fairs. I did pretty well so I'm considering starting up a business. I'd like to branch out into other dog items as well - placemats, harnesses, treats, etc. I'm having trouble coming up with a good name. I want a .com website so the name must be available. This is by far my biggest challenge in naming the business. Here are a few ideas I've come up with so far. Looking for feedback on what you like or don't like about them and any suggestions you may have.

Naughty Dog Gear (this is similar to the name I used at craft fairs)
Bean's Barkery (Bean is the name of one of my dogs)
Southern Biscuit

I like the last 2, but they make it seem like I focus purely on treats ....

Thanks for any thoughts or feedback you can provide!

Artanis, finding a dot com domain name isn't so hard once you've got the right name. I have two questions about the names you've picked.

What are you trying to convey to your ideal customer? (not just any customer but your best customer)
Do the names you have now convey that to your ideal customer? How?

If you're looking for the right name you'll want to make sure that your noun, adjective, verb and presentation keyword are all in line. (I can go over those more if you like.)
These words are important because they show you how to find the right visual cue, making it easier for customers to "get" what you're trying to say.

That's important because most of them won't take the time to figure things out if they don't get it.

It's easy to discount, since a lot of people don't understand the effect naming (or branding) a company has on people.
BMW owns "The Ultimate Driving Machine" in their customer's heads. Mainstream success depends on "owning" a spot in your ideal customer's head.

Hope this helps!

Andrew

SnapJunkRemoval
12-10-2014, 01:33 AM
I think that the name of your business should inform your customers what you sell so Bean's Barkery or Southern Biscuit is inappropriate. It would also be nice to incorporate some of the search terms people might use to find your products in the business name, as well as the website domain name so you have better SEO opportunities and exact match domain name (EMD) which helps a little bit in google rankings. Keep thinking on it.

artanis50
12-10-2014, 07:05 AM
Thanks, this additional feedback is helpful.

I've been searching and thinking for so long on this I am starting to feel I might be over-doing it. I did several searches online for other similar businesses trying to get more ideas. I have stayed away from names that have "collar" or "leash" in the title because I don't want it to limit me in any way. The business also includes homemade dog treats, placemats, bandanas, etc. and I hope to expand more if I'm successful. Which is exactly why I didn't want to use Bean's Barkery because it seems to limit me mostly to the treats.

Naughty Dog Gear seems to get decent feedback, so unless I can come up with other ideas I'll probably go that route. It seems broad enough to cover what I want, and it's a little fun. :cool:

Harold Mansfield
12-10-2014, 11:46 AM
Thanks, this additional feedback is helpful.

Naughty Dog Gear seems to get decent feedback, so unless I can come up with other ideas I'll probably go that route. It seems broad enough to cover what I want, and it's a little fun. :cool:

There is a video game developer named "Naughty Dog" and they sell gear. You may have trademark issues with that name, or at the very least blow back. Naughty Dog (http://www.naughtydog.com/)

artanis50
12-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Thanks Harold, unfortunately I'm well aware of the video game company. According to my trademarks searches, they have trademarked their logo, not the actual name "Naughty Dog Gear". I think I'm safe, however I'm definitely not an expert so if I'm missing something I appreciate the advice.

Harold Mansfield
12-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Thanks Harold, unfortunately I'm well aware of the video game company. According to my trademarks searches, they have trademarked their logo, not the actual name "Naughty Dog Gear". I think I'm safe, however I'm definitely not an expert so if I'm missing something I appreciate the advice.

Even if you are legally allowed to use it, how much will it cost you in legal fees to do so and is it worth it? If you put up a site called "Naughty Dog Gear" they will almost assuredly contact you.

Also, this is a well known company. Do you really want to deal with the confusion? Or just find your own identity and brand specific to just you?

Sometimes just because you can get away with something, doesn't mean it's a smart move for your business.

NeckKnifeCentral
12-30-2014, 08:09 PM
I, like the rest of the crowd, think Naughty Dog Gear is pretty raunchy and witty. I think it will be a good thing to start, and i would start by making all social media sites with your future company name, and then if you get a pretty good feedback. I then would think about a copyright.