PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas with wood scrap

BelEcoWood
12-19-2014, 06:55 AM
Have a lot of wood scrap at our work. Mostly edged boards 17*100*600mm. The main problem it's not dryed (KD about 20%) and unable to make any furniture from this, because glue will not work.
Can't find good ideas what to do with all of this.

One time start produce kindling, but our wholesale buyer from Germany is dissapear and we already 3 month can't find new one.
Our local retailers not interesting in such goods.

I made such home for our cat. But it's take too much time for produce 1pc. So I think it will difficult to earn a lot of money with this.

May be anybody have an idea. What else we can make from our wood scrap for sell to any wholesale buyer?
I think nobody will interesting to buy this ))

vangogh
12-19-2014, 10:59 AM
I searched a little and found a PDF from the Environmental Protection Agency, titled Pilot Project to Help Companies Identify Alternative Wood Waste Market Options (http://www.stopwaste.org/docs/epa_woodwaste_factsheet.pdf). The whole thing is just a few pages, but I found a table with some ideas.

Pallets
Animal Bedding
Landscape Products
Compost
Particleboard and MDF
Wood Packaging
Construction/Decking

Most everything else I see in the search results is some kind of craft project, which I'm guessing will take too much of your time to make it worthwhile. I did find this article about turning scrap wood into electricity (http://www.siemens.com/innovation/en/news/2009/eco-electricity-from-scrap-wood.htm). Maybe that's something you can explore.

Hope something in there helps.

BelEcoWood
12-19-2014, 01:58 PM
Thank you.
Our waste is pallets board which we can't use.
I am looking for ideas without crushing this boards to low cost product, such as wood chips and so on
Also have no so much money to produce electricity ))
Landscape Products the most interesting from this list. It can be assemble with screws without using glue. Will search any product's in this field I can made from small boards.

HooktoWin
12-19-2014, 02:39 PM
I searched a little and found a PDF from the Environmental Protection Agency, titled Pilot Project to Help Companies Identify Alternative Wood Waste Market Options (http://www.stopwaste.org/docs/epa_woodwaste_factsheet.pdf). The whole thing is just a few pages, but I found a table with some ideas.

Pallets
Animal Bedding
Landscape Products
Compost
Particleboard and MDF
Wood Packaging
Construction/Decking

Most everything else I see in the search results is some kind of craft project, which I'm guessing will take too much of your time to make it worthwhile. I did find this article about turning scrap wood into electricity (http://www.siemens.com/innovation/en/news/2009/eco-electricity-from-scrap-wood.htm). Maybe that's something you can explore.

Hope something in there helps.

vangogh, I love that you took the time to share this. What a great answer.

Fulcrum
12-19-2014, 04:17 PM
What I see some of my customers doing, is either converting those cut offs into pellets (heating) or shavings (bedding) or trying to sell to the general public as firewood. I also have seen a few make small garden stakes out of lumber that size (rip each board in half and put points on them).

BelEcoWood
12-20-2014, 02:51 PM
We make pellets from another waste. Don't want to crush this boards.
Garden stakes also very interesting.547

Next week want to try make this 548 with very low price but good quality.
Tried to treat part one of the board with tung oil 549

We are always open for new ideas.
Waiting for your comments and offers.

Fulcrum
12-20-2014, 03:35 PM
The limiting factor, as I see it, is the size of the board (4" x 24" x 5/8"). This is going to really limit what these can be used for.

Is the wood a hardwood or a softwood?
Do you make these cutoffs on a regular basis?
Does your company make pallets?

BelEcoWood
12-20-2014, 03:56 PM
Softwood.
Yes, it's a lot every day. First time we burn it, then crush to wood chips. Want to get more money from this waste.
Yes, we make pallets for our local company, and for German market.

billbenson
12-20-2014, 04:55 PM
I wonder if you couldn't do something like grind it up and mix it with an epoxy for decorative custom countertops. There are a lot of neat materials out there these days.

Fulcrum
12-20-2014, 06:40 PM
I wonder if you couldn't do something like grind it up and mix it with an epoxy for decorative custom countertops. There are a lot of neat materials out there these days.

I'm actually thinking that if they do a slight process change that they may be able to reduce the amount of cutoffs they're being stuck with. Depending on what size the lumber is when they start (lifts of 2x4's, cants, raw logs), this could be the way to reduce the amount of cutoffs. I was thinking butcher blocks and cutting boards, but those should be made out of hardwood. I'm going to think about this more over the weekend as there should be more things that can be done with the lumber.

billbenson
12-20-2014, 07:20 PM
I'm actually thinking that if they do a slight process change that they may be able to reduce the amount of cutoffs they're being stuck with. Depending on what size the lumber is when they start (lifts of 2x4's, cants, raw logs), this could be the way to reduce the amount of cutoffs. I was thinking butcher blocks and cutting boards, but those should be made out of hardwood. I'm going to think about this more over the weekend as there should be more things that can be done with the lumber.

I'd really be interested in what you come up with. I was fascinated with concrete countertops, But they are generally poured in molds and put in place later. If the OP comes up with a pour in place solution for elegance, that would be a winner.

BelEcoWood
12-22-2014, 04:27 AM

The length of logs/boards is 4m. We cat it to 1.2 or 1m. (At your sizes it will 157.48in cut to 47.24 or 39.37in)
Yes cutting boards it's very good idea, but for use it need dried wood. Another way glue will not work. I know one company which have a lot of cutoffs from oak, but it also fresh, they selling it like firewood.

Fulcrum
12-22-2014, 05:40 PM
I gave it some thought, and came up with a few ideas.

Shims
Barn board for sheds
Mennonite style furniture screwed together
Short snow fences

The length of logs/boards is 4m. We cat it to 1.2 or 1m. (At your sizes it will 157.48in cut to 47.24 or 39.37in)

Do you cut to length before sizing the boards to 17mm (especially on the 1.2m cuts as I think this is where the bulk of the cutoffs are coming from)? If not, try doing this first then using the larger sized cutoffs for blocks or even construction stakes.

BelEcoWood
12-23-2014, 02:49 AM
Thank you for your ideas. For sheds and fences it's too short. About shims not sure. And furniture is what I need.
I decided furniture is the best way to use it. Now need to choose the models. First will try to make an experimental model of ottoman. Will share the picture there, after sample be ready.
Yes we cut the boards to 1.2m after sizing it. Another way unable to get needed length +- 1mm