PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Excel compatible invoicing options

mdenegre
12-29-2014, 08:42 AM
I run a small (me) maintenance company. I currently use a self designed Excel program to track my expenses and create invoices. I would like to try a free or inexpensive accounting program. Are any of the programs compatible with, or based on Excel, so that I can use my current data?

Also any feedback on accounting programs you use would be helpful.

Thanks

Mark

Freelancier
12-29-2014, 09:22 AM
The Magic Eight Ball (http://www.amazon.com/Mattel-30188-Magic-8-Ball/dp/B00001ZWV7) says "Don't Count On It".

Some accounting programs will import and export to Excel via CSV format, but they'll all want the data to be in THEIR format, which likely won't look like anything you've done.

Your best bet is to do what I did years ago: got an accounting program and started using it on a January 1 for everything going forward and retired my old method of "accounting" with the December 31 of the previous year. As luck has it, you're coming up on a January 1.

Try Quickbooks, either the online or the desktop version.

Harold Mansfield
12-29-2014, 11:59 AM
I agree. The words "compatible with Excel" have sent me down many frustrating rabbit holes. Technically a lot of things are compatible with Excel. Realistically what you already have is not formatted the way any particular program wants it in order for you to actually import it.

billbenson
12-29-2014, 01:41 PM
When I first started, I did quotes, orders, invoices etc. in Excel. Large companies have entire departments dedicated to writing database programs in Excel. That being said, for a small business person, unless you know programming well or are an expert in Excel, something like Quickbooks is going to be your best solution.