PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start an anime store.

Doukuchiran
01-12-2015, 12:29 AM
Hey guys I plan on renting a small cart in a mall and sell anime cellphone charms. I'm completely new to this business thing, so do I need a resller's permit? I know that I need a business license, what do you guys recommend an LLC or sole proprietorship? What other information do I need to know in order to run a successful business?

LianaCCB
01-15-2015, 05:15 PM
Starting out, a sole proprietorship will be fine. Eventually upgrade to an LLC because there is much more asset protection in an LLC, but there's nothing wrong with a sole prop starting out.
The business license depends on your state. If you were selling through eBay or Amazon, you probably wouldn't need a business license but it depends on your state and the fact that you will have a physical retail location.

I recommend looking up business laws for where you live, and go from there. I found an article on Resale Number vs Tax ID number which may help:
Resale Number Vs. Tax ID | Chron.com (http://smallbusiness.chron.com/resale-number-vs-tax-id-57119.html)

TejasWebHosting
01-16-2015, 02:29 AM
Sole Proprietorship is recommended due to the nature of your business.

Because you and your business are one and the same, the business itself is not taxed separately the sole proprietorship income is your income. You report income and losses and expenses with a Schedule C and standard Form 1040. The “bottom-line amount” from Schedule C transfers to your personal tax return. It’s your responsibility to withhold and pay all income taxes, including self-employment and estimated taxes. You can find more information about sole proprietorship taxes and other forms at IRS.gov.

Hope it helps!

Harold Mansfield
01-16-2015, 09:28 AM
What other information do I need to know in order to run a successful business?

I noticed everyone side stepped this part of the question. That's because it's impossible to answer. Permits and licenses aside, you need to know a million different things to run a "successful" business and all dependent on what kind of business it is.

But it looks like they got you covered on the licensing stuff.

JonaB
01-21-2015, 02:03 AM
I would recommend sole proprietorship will be what I recommend. There are many things that you need to know about running a business. But first you have to finish with the license and other formalities.