PDA

View Full Version : Courses on Small Business Management?

spretori
01-27-2015, 12:15 AM
I'm investigating if there is a need for Small Business Management course specifically aimed at tradespeople? (electricians etc) We're a training company that focusses on engineering/technical courses and we've been investigating the potential design of an accredited diploma of management specifically aimed at tradespeople looking to start their own businesses. I won't name the company as I'm not looking to advertise here at all, I simply want to hear from people in this situation wether a formal course which is nationally accredited in Australia would be useful? We're thinking of including items such as creating business plans, basic marketing, managing finances, managing tax etc. Any feedback would be much appreciated!:)

vangogh
01-27-2015, 11:07 AM
It sounds useful. I wouldn't need the help at this point in my business, but I can see where I would have the items you mention helpful when I was getting started. One question I have is how much will it cost? I don't think you'd be able to charge too much as most people jumping into small business ownership are usually concerned about how long their money will last in case the business doesn't work out.

I'm wondering if a product might work better. I'm thinking an online course so you could keep your costs down.

The general idea does sound good.

Freelancier
01-27-2015, 01:20 PM
I also think it's a good idea. I think you might even consider two tracks: one for people who just want to start their own business, and another for people who want to run a business with employees, which involves a whole different set of skills.

KristineS
01-27-2015, 01:24 PM
I think such courses could definitely be useful. There are a lot of people out there wanting to start businesses with no idea how to go about doing that.

I also think Freelancier has a great idea - two tracks makes a lot of sense. Running a business where you're the only employee is very different than employing other people.

Fulcrum
01-27-2015, 03:34 PM
As someone who is involved in skilled trades, I would have to say that this can, and will be, be a big benefit for potential start ups. Too many skilled workers start their own shop and think that $25-40/hour is more than enough to run a thriving business. In my shop, we can blow through that in consumables in 1/2 that time and not think twice about it. Also, include a course on when these people should make how-to videos on youtube (it's frightening the safety and general regulations that get ignored are).

spretori
01-29-2015, 09:53 PM
Thank you everyone! It is planned as an online program, with live mentoring, which is how we run all of our courses. We have been looking at some of the courses out there and many focus on people management, marketing, Intellectual property etc. These are all useful however they seem to be lacking in sound financial management content, legal issues, managing tax, creating business plans, so we want to create something which covers all essential bases, but is contextualized in the trades/technical world.
Do you think 12-18 months part time would be desirable for this audience? My feeling is that most people completing this course will be working and most likely also have family commitments..so a full time course will not be successful. we're thinking about 10-15 hours a week...?

Owen
01-30-2015, 02:55 AM
That is something that a lot of people would like. That's a very smart idea. I'm glad you thought of it. Now what are you doing here? Get to work! lol

tallen
01-30-2015, 03:21 PM
I guess I don't see small independent contractors necessarily looking for something like this -- a formal course associated with an accredited institution -- these people don't need a degree or credential, they just need solutions for their business. That said, I do think such a course tailored to independent small businesses / trades people, could be very useful -- it's just that the marketing challenge will be very different than trying to sell an MBA to middle managers trying to move up the corporate ladder (or whatever).