PDA

View Full Version : Small Business Etiquette Coming From a MNC

dmiller10
01-27-2015, 01:48 AM
Howdy folks,

I wasn't sure where exactly to post this question as it doesn't really fit on any of the boards, but I figured if there is management talk going on here it was a good place to start. So my apologies if this thread is in the wrong channel -- sometimes people can really get edgy about this in forums haha :)

Anyway, I work/live in the Silicon Valley which is tech start-up central. And obviously the hub of all the main tech companies too. Anyway, I used to work for two very large companies in the area (we've all heard and love them hehe) and I started a new position at a tech start-up. I've never worked in a small business like this.

I'm in a position where I am doing a lot of technical assistance directly with customers. So I see a lot of what people are experiencing, complaining about, requesting and just general ideas from the public. Finding bugs and reading this stuff is sort of helping develop the product and make it better.

So here is my question. I've sort of written up a report, after working with this information for about a month, of ideas and areas of opportunity. But I don't want to be "that guy" who jumps in, barely working there a month, and thinks he has all the answers, and wants to change all this stuff. I don't want to make it seem like my ideas are better then theirs or insult the founders. I mean this is their baby, they've put a lot into this (I work on a team of around 20, maybe less). I'm not used to working in an environment where people are connected to the end-sum quite like that. Like if you're developing a product at an MNC, you have substantial job security and it's not quite that personal. That's not to say they don't take pride in their work, but they didn't give their own money to build the product either.

The feedback I want to give them comes from a purely positive place, I'm just excited about different things and, frankly, I want them to be impressed with me; to show that I have initiative and am good at my job. To those who are bosses and have received your own feedback, how would you recommend I act so that I am handling this with tact, respect, and charm? My thought was to create a thoughtful presentation. Make a graph, show my numbers. My logic was if I took the feedback seriously and presented seriously that shows I actually thought about it, it would be received professionally and seriously thought about.

I have a lot of job experience, I mean obviously they hired me with my resume and actually called my references. And I work directly with customers so I would like to think I have some credibility.

Thanks so much for reading through that essay. It was rather verbose :)

Harold Mansfield
01-27-2015, 10:26 AM
I'd definitely "be that guy". Prepare it as you suggested, in a way that that they would want to see the information, and then take aim at the person who needs to see it without stepping on anyone's toes or going over anyone's head.

It's cheaper to retain customers than market for new ones. Happy customers are free marketing. (and all of the other 1st year marketing headers).

This is something every company should want to get correct. Especially a start up. You seem to be conscious of not storming in like a bull in a china shop, I think you'll do fine. Gauge the situation, the correct person to approach, and ask for a 2 minute sit down to make your general bullet points for opportunity and hand over your report.

Freelancier
01-27-2015, 11:23 AM
I've sort of written up a report, after working with this information for about a month, of ideas and areas of opportunity.After a month, you'd definitely be "that guy". I've been there, done that. Your best bet is to present it not as your ideas -- you're too new to have those -- but as feedback and ideas from customers. That way, you come off not as the originator of the suggestions, but as the person who is listening to the customers and conveying their concerns back to the right people to do with what they want. In a dev shop, the person who should get it first would be your direct boss, then the marketing managers -- if those are the people who help decide future features. Developers and dev managers won't care; they're not worried about the customer, just about their schedules and code. Stick within the structure and accept that not everything will get done in any particular hurry; but be the guy who is focused on satisfying customers and you'll be recognized that way and not as the guy who made a lot of noise mid-schedule and got ignored.

KristineS
01-27-2015, 01:35 PM
I think Freelancier is recommending the right approach here - don't approach it as "hey these are my ideas" approach it as "I've been talking with our customers, and here are some interesting things they've said". I also think it would help to tell them what you've told us, you're coming from a positive place, you've been hearing things from customers and thought they might be useful to mention, and all you want to do is share what you've learned with everyone else. If you can focus things on the customer and how what you've learned can benefit them and the business, and not make it about you, I'd guess you'll be o.k.

That said, never underestimate the value of emotional intelligence. You're the one working there, and by now you've got some sense of the players and office politics. Spend some time watching how people interact and how feedback and suggestions are received. Studying the players may give you insight into who would be best to approach first and how.

dma38
01-27-2015, 04:03 PM
If you can focus things on the customer and how what you've learned can benefit them and the business, and not make it about you

Totally agree with this--say what needs to be said, but it all depends on the way that you approach the conversation.