PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant/Bakery Specific Question

SouthernVelvetCafe
01-31-2015, 05:43 PM
Hi, all.
Just wondering if those more experienced than me know if it's safe/energy efficient to put a fridge right next to a commercial oven?
I'm planning on having a pretty tight squeeze in my kitchen, and all my google-fu can find is anecdotal answers for residential models, which do say there's enough insulation to keep it from being a problem.
Still, it concerns me that my refrigerator might not be able to keep the food at safe temperatures, or that the electric bill will be prohibitively higher in my attempt to save space. Any thoughts?

David Hunter
01-31-2015, 06:27 PM
Hey Stephanie,

Be sure to check out your intro thread. I gave you a book you need to read.

As for the frig next to the oven... I've also heard it wasn't a good thing to do for residences. My family has fast-food restaurants and they don't have the ovens directly next to the frig/freezers. They may be close, but it's not "next to."

Have you all ready bought the frig and ovens? If not, I would call the manufactures and see what they say. They may say don't do it or they may say it's safe.

Best of luck on your new adventure!!!

SouthernVelvetCafe
02-01-2015, 01:12 AM
Oh, I'm still almost a year from buying my equipment. I have to move back to Florida from Missouri after my husband gets out of the military. And I'm giving myself about four months to get the business together once I'm there.
I'll definitely have to ask the manufacturers. I feel so silly for not thinking of that!
The current mock-up of my theoretical floor plan (I am well aware of how ridiculous I am.) has about a half foot of space in between the fridge and oven, is that less than or about equal to the distance your family puts theirs?

Harold Mansfield
02-01-2015, 09:12 AM
You'll probably get a better answer from your local inspectors or whatever contractors you're hiring to put together your kitchen.
I've worked in a lot of restaurants with varying space restrictions and I'm sure there's at least an insulation barrier type solution to space problems such as you're describing. If food trucks can make it work and pass inspection, I'm sure you can.

As for the power concerns, that's best answered by an electrician who can evaluate your electrical system and tell you if your outlets are designed for the equipment you want to run or if you'll need some upgrades.

David Hunter
02-01-2015, 02:32 PM
I'll definitely have to ask the manufacturers. I feel so silly for not thinking of that!
The current mock-up of my theoretical floor plan (I am well aware of how ridiculous I am.) has about a half foot of space in between the fridge and oven, is that less than or about equal to the distance your family puts theirs?

That's why where here!! It's amazing how many things we all know, but when it comes time to think about it our minds go blank. Happens to me all the time (that's why it's good to be on forums like this and be in mastermind groups), ha.

As for the distance of oven to frig... they are more than a foot apart. You could walk between the two no problem. Not sure if that's because of code or because manufactures suggest it or what, but that's how they are.

SouthernVelvetCafe
02-01-2015, 06:26 PM
Definitely good information to have! While we're on the subject of contractors, inspectors, and electricians, does anyone know if a residential contractor needs/should have a commercial license as well? Is it better to go to someone who does more commercial work, or to read up on the requirements myself so I can work with someone who I know better and already trust (the contractor from my parent's home renovation)?

Anand Sagar Kashyap
02-02-2015, 04:40 AM
Hi Stephanie,
Though I do not own a cafe or restaurant but as per my knowledge and understanding oven and refrigerator should not be kept close to each other the reason being some of the gases used in refrigerator are combustible in nature. They may also combine with carbon (fumes) and form toxic compounds. Please ask the oven installer if a fridge could be kept close to the oven. Best of luck for your business.
Regards,
Anand

Harold Mansfield
02-02-2015, 02:13 PM
Definitely good information to have! While we're on the subject of contractors, inspectors, and electricians, does anyone know if a residential contractor needs/should have a commercial license as well? Is it better to go to someone who does more commercial work, or to read up on the requirements myself so I can work with someone who I know better and already trust (the contractor from my parent's home renovation)?

I don't know if contractors are licensed separately as commercial or residential, but what ever the rules are they would likely be specific to your state as all states are different.
If you know a contractor that you trust you should be able to just ask them if they do that kind of work or not. If not, can they recommend someone.

Whoever you choose you still have to pass inspection. And yes, if you're opening a restaurant you will definitely need to read up on the rules. There is no way around it. If you go into it completely blind you will waste a lot of money correcting mistakes and on things that you didn't account for.

It's common for an existing building to get away with certain things because they are grandfathered in before rule changes. Things like being handicap accessible or floor drain specifications that weren't law 20 years ago, but are now. And as soon as a new owner takes over they are now responsible for following the new rules and codes.

You definitely want to hire your own commercial inspector who specializes in restaurant codes to look over the place you're thinking of buying so that they can prepare you for possible costs that you will incur to pass inspection.