PDA

View Full Version : Good business idea for high school student

Livengood
02-03-2015, 09:59 AM
What are some ideas for businesses for a high school student that doesn't have a whole day for stuff? Something that makes enough money it can support me after high school.

CCAdamson
02-03-2015, 10:57 AM
When I was in high school I did auto detailing. You have to be detail oriented and willing to work but at $80-$120 a vehicle you can make some nice money.

Harold Mansfield
02-03-2015, 11:09 AM
What are some ideas for businesses for a high school student that doesn't have a whole day for stuff? Something that makes enough money it can support me after high school.

I can't think of anything in life that you can do part time, on a high school education that will support an adult. Unless you have some specific skills that you are excellent at like programing, you probably want to think about getting more education or training so that you aren't walking the picket line outside of the McDonald's that you work at, protesting for a min wage increase.

CCAdamson
02-03-2015, 11:44 AM
After reading your response Harold I see I didn't properly read the OP's question. I only read the first part I guess.

I agree if you don't have an existing skill, learn one! I can tell you first hand that skilled labor, or lack there of, will begin to cripple some industries. Electricians, Machinist, etc. are a dying breed. The company I work for right now could add 20+ skilled labor heads today and still have a need.

A four year college isn't for everyone but having a marketable skill should be.

HooktoWin
02-05-2015, 04:17 AM

Hi Livengood, I don't have enough info to suggest ideas. But I do have enough to suggest how to find what you're looking for. Here's what I'd do.

Find something that gives me leverage. When you have leverage you're not trading time for money. You can make money without needing to be involved (directly) in each sale.
Set a higher price point. A higher price point means you don't need as many customers. Find the right balance (say $50 - 500) and you won't need to deal with long or complex sales cycles (again less work).
Create a system that brings customers in, follows up with them, and serves them (via email, newsletter, blog posts, etc.) until they're ready to buy.
Find a way to get customers who are willing and able to buy as cheaply as possible, on a consistent and regular basis.

An ecommerce store (that sells digital products), books, audio, videos, membership sites or tools and apps all meet the criteria you've laid out. Word of caution though. The things you're looking for typically require a lot of front loaded work. Set up the system properly, tweak it from time to time to keep it working and you should get the results you need.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

turkeysub
02-07-2015, 07:22 PM
You should provide a service to other students or people you see a lot. This way you will better understand your market. I agree with the above post, try to find something that is valuable and has a higher price point. This way you don't need to make a huge number of transactions.