PDA

View Full Version : What else do I need?

Coltrane
02-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Hey all! I am really excited to be starting my first business, and I had a couple questions about what I have left to set up to be "official." (not talking about website, advertising, etc.

I have my FEIN and 10-digit ID, New Jersey Business Registration Certificate, Bank Account, Certification of Formation, and Short Form Standing.

Is there anything I'm missing before I'm all set? (Either IRS, Federal, or State wise)

Thanks in advance!

IrekJanek
02-11-2015, 05:13 PM
If you are selling taxable products you might need Certificate of Authority (this is what NY calls it) to collect tax on taxable sales.

Coltrane
02-11-2015, 05:53 PM
If you are selling taxable products you might need Certificate of Authority (this is what NY calls it) to collect tax on taxable sales.

Nope! Contracting teachers for in-home music lessons.

IrekJanek
02-11-2015, 06:20 PM
Nope! Contracting teachers for in-home music lessons.

Cool, just making sure that you cross your Ts and dot your Is.

SouthernVelvetCafe
02-11-2015, 07:44 PM
You seem set to me as far as legal stuff goes, but you didn't mention if you have any code of conduct or customer contract paperwork drawn up. Prepping stuff like that ahead of time can solve problems in the long run. It also makes sure you can provide a consistent service!

Coltrane
02-11-2015, 09:36 PM
You seem set to me as far as legal stuff goes, but you didn't mention if you have any code of conduct or customer contract paperwork drawn up. Prepping stuff like that ahead of time can solve problems in the long run. It also makes sure you can provide a consistent service!

I do have it! Well it's almost done...a policy page for clients and an independent contractor agreement for my teachers.

BizAdvisor
02-11-2015, 10:20 PM
Hey Coltrane, I have a few questions:

1. Are you going to be entering customers/clients homes?
2. Are customers/clients going to be entering your home?
3. Are you deeming yourself an independent contractor?
4. How much travel is involved in your line of work?

Coltrane
02-11-2015, 10:28 PM
Hey Coltrane, I have a few questions:

1. Are you going to be entering customers/clients homes?
2. Are customers/clients going to be entering your home?
3. Are you deeming yourself an independent contractor?
4. How much travel is involved in your line of work?

1. I won't but my independent contractors will.
2. No
3. I will not, I'll just be the owner.
4. I'll be having teachers drive up to an hour for lessons (depending on how many students they have in one day)

tallen
02-12-2015, 05:23 AM
Have you talked to an independent insurance agent who handles commercial lines? Will you require your contractors to be insured, and maybe bonded?