PDA

View Full Version : Importing high quality beef from South America to Switzerland

Linus
02-11-2015, 05:48 PM
Hi,

I have a business idea which has great potential. However, I don't have any knowledge about the topic nor do I know where to start. As I have mentioned in the title, my business idea is about importing high quality beef from a certain country in South America (I do have some business contacts there) to Switzerland.

So, where should I start?

Where do I get the knowledge from?

And how can I convince potential investors (I don't have any money myself)?

Thanks for your help!

Davidl
02-11-2015, 08:37 PM
I don't own a business but am learning as I go..

Laws, regulations, licenses, what grading does it need to be able to sell - is it even allowed ? How will you get it into the hands of whoever (meat market, restaurant supply store, small grocery stores? Will locals want South american vs domestic beef or is pricing better. Where will you store the meat where it meets regulation?

In my thoughts this seems very difficult to go from unknown to a small supplier unless your willing to put up with the time it will take to start growing.

Im unfamiliar with how this type of business and how the meat market works and wouldn't attempt this until I find out if it passes regulation, how I will get it in to switzerland with refrigeration, how much it costs altogether and what price wholesale you are going to sell. Most important is understanding how that market works and if people will buy it and will other businesses buy from you.

One example I will share is a story I heard from my father about how a friend of his had an idea to buy sneakers wholesale from china and sell them in Singapore. He didn't have anyone to sell the shoes to because they were unwilling to buy from a non verified source and already had suppliers they worked with. He had a good idea but it wasn't executed well as he never gave it enough thought and underestimated what businesses look for. It was in short only half thought out and he was expecting too much for the time he gave it.

Harold Mansfield
02-11-2015, 09:09 PM
In America you have to go though the State Department, Dept of Commerce, and Dept of Agriculture and all that jazz to import meat and produce from outside the country.
I'm sure you have something similar. Start there to at least see if where you're importing from is part of a trade agreement. You can't import just anything from anywhere. I'm sure Switzerland is no different.

billbenson
02-11-2015, 09:26 PM
I'm going to assume you are talking about beef from Argentina as they have a very distinct flavor in their beef. I've been there many times and I prefer US beef to theirs. Are you sure the Swiss are going to like whatever product you are importing? How did you test the market?

It seems problematic if you don't know the culture ad language of both countries you are dealing with. To me its lawyer time in both countries. Then you have to set up a distribution network etc. Seems like a lot of work for a startup.

Harold Mansfield
02-12-2015, 09:57 AM
It seems problematic if you don't know the culture ad language of both countries you are dealing with. To me its lawyer time in both countries. Then you have to set up a distribution network etc. Seems like a lot of work for a startup.

Especially one that doesn't know anything about farming or cattle or the foods industry at all. That's not exactly an industry you can wing it in. You're going to need someone who knows what they're doing. At the very least a butcher or distribution company who imports food or animal products.