PDA

View Full Version : Email address help

Coltrane
02-11-2015, 09:53 PM
Sorry for yet another post, but I just want some of your input on this. My business name is Princeton Home Music Lessons. I have a few emails, and was wondering what you think is best-
princetonhomemusiclessons@gmail.com
princetonhomemusic@gmail.com
princetonmusiclessons@gmail.com

I know all are pretty long, but they are funetikal so it shouldn't be too bad. Thanks!

JR Strack
02-11-2015, 11:23 PM
Stick with the first one, as it is where and what your business is.

MyITGuy
02-12-2015, 12:09 AM
info@princetonmusiclessons.com would be better ;)

Harold Mansfield
02-12-2015, 09:18 AM
Yes, why are you using a free email address? You're a legitimate, licensed, credible business...not some kid in his Mom's basement who just lucked up and found a gmail address.

I have a HUGE pet peeve of business owners who use free email addresses when they have their own URL just because it's easier for the owner.

I expect a grown up business to have a little more marketing savvy than that and want to put forth a better presentation when communicating with people who they expect to spend money with them. I'm not sending money to a free email address.

If nothing else, using your company email is serves many marketing and branding purposes, but the first 2 are:

1. Makes you look credible.
2. It's a reminder of the address of your company website.

Why wouldn't you want to use it?

Coltrane
02-12-2015, 03:00 PM
Yes, why are you using a free email address? You're a legitimate, licensed, credible business...not some kid in his Mom's basement who just lucked up and found a gmail address.

I have a HUGE pet peeve of business owners who use free email addresses when they have their own URL just because it's easier for the owner.

I expect a grown up business to have a little more marketing savvy than that and want to put forth a better presentation when communicating with people who they expect to spend money with them. I'm not sending money to a free email address.

If nothing else, using your company email is serves many marketing and branding purposes, but the first 2 are:

1. Makes you look credible.
2. It's a reminder of the address of your company website.

Why wouldn't you want to use it?

Good points! Thank you for the reply. Would having my name before @businessname.com be better than info@?

Harold Mansfield
02-12-2015, 03:21 PM
Well, that's kind of a personal choice. I like the first name emails. Gives a personal service feel. It really depends on how you are using that email.
I've done many variations but for now I've settled on using

support@- for all business communications and responses.
info@- for marketing things like mailing lists

And that's it. And I do that for all of my URL's that require email communications.
But I'm in a service and support industry.

For you, I think first name would be a nice touch. Or you could get creative and use something like "Forte@" or some other musical term.

David Hunter
02-12-2015, 04:49 PM
info@princetonmusiclessons.com would be better ;)

Yes!!!

I have my own domain email and a gmail account. I use the domain email on all my marketing and contact info and use the gmail for sending large files, etc.

Also, you can always forward your domain email to a gmail account if you don't have unlimited storage.

Owen
02-12-2015, 05:02 PM
Sorry for yet another post

No need to be sorry. You're not annoying us at all what-so-ever. We actually encourage active members :D

Coltrane
02-12-2015, 08:12 PM
Thanks everyone! I have princetonhomemusiclessons.com so I will use dave@princetonhomemusiclessons.com. I don't have the site up and running yet, but will soon! Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Coltrane
02-13-2015, 05:00 PM
Hey again...didn't want to start another thread for this, but I'm looking at the grasshopper phone number service and have a couple questions:
1. Should I use an 800 number or a local number?
2. If I get an 800 number, should it be custom (800-lessons) or just random?

Harold Mansfield
02-13-2015, 05:35 PM
If you can get an 800 number like that, I would.
Vanity numbers are still cool when you have a good one.
But do you really need a toll free number when you're only serving a local area?

Coltrane
02-13-2015, 06:12 PM
If you can get an 800 number like that, I would.
Vanity numbers are still cool when you have a good one.
But do you really need a toll free number when you're only serving a local area?

I can get 800-lessons, and no I don't need one, but that's why I asked. I'm not sure what would be perceived better.

RR151
02-13-2015, 06:16 PM
If you can get the vanity number that would be forward thinking to maybe a time you might need it. As a promotional email maybe 800-lessons@yourdomain.com

Harold Mansfield
02-13-2015, 06:27 PM
I can get 800-lessons, and no I don't need one, but that's why I asked. I'm not sure what would be perceived better.
Well...they're called "vanity numbers" for a reason. Do you think it will be instrumental ( no pun intended) to your marketing? Or just something cool to have?
If it's just something cool to have, and it's money that you can use for something more important...like a website...I'd spend wiser.

On the other hand, that's a cool number. A really cool number. It's a marketing strategy all in itself.

I would have a hard time throwing practicality out of the window on this one and I'd probably get the number.
I can't even believe it's available.

Harold Mansfield
02-13-2015, 06:28 PM
Scratch all of that BS I just said. That's an awesome number. Get it. Get it now! You can get a website anytime. Even just a splash screen with that number on it is pretty sweet and it alone will probably be the best marketing tool you own.

Sorry I hesitated on the advice. If it's 800-lessons, spelled correctly...lock it up and keep it forever!

Coltrane
02-13-2015, 07:03 PM
Ah, crap, nevermind. It's actually not available. I knew it was too good to be true...it somehow redirected the search to a related one and said that one was available and I didn't catch it. there's only an 844- number available, and it's 844-7Lessons, or 5Lessons, etc.

MyITGuy
02-13-2015, 07:46 PM
Ah, crap, nevermind. It's actually not available. I knew it was too good to be true...it somehow redirected the search to a related one and said that one was available and I didn't catch it. there's only an 844- number available, and it's 844-7Lessons, or 5Lessons, etc.

Yep, its been in use since 2013 and is RESPORG locked...so you will likely never be able to get that number. If you're seeking a toll free number, then check out tollfreenumbers.com - They provide some good information and fair pricing on vanity numbers

As far as toll-free versus local DID, whats your market area? I would assume you provide your services local to your area...if thats the case then I would suggest finding a memorable local DID

Harold Mansfield
02-14-2015, 05:53 PM

Definitely not even close to the same thing.

Coltrane
02-14-2015, 09:19 PM
Definitely not even close to the same thing.

Yep. So I'm looking at either a random 800 number or random local number...thinking local.

IrekJanek
02-14-2015, 11:51 PM
If I may, I would suggest something like: info@princetonmusiclessons.com ; support@princetonmusiclessons.com (do you own the domain name: princetonmusiclessons.com?) ... never mind. I just check the domain name and it is still available. So you should buy the domain. When you buy the domain name, some ISPs would also give you an option to setup a free email box. IMHO this is the way to go, if you letter decide to setup a web site for your business you will be all set.

Coltrane
02-15-2015, 09:46 AM
If I may, I would suggest something like: info@princetonmusiclessons.com ; support@princetonmusiclessons.com (do you own the domain name: princetonmusiclessons.com?) ... never mind. I just check the domain name and it is still available. So you should buy the domain. When you buy the domain name, some ISPs would also give you an option to setup a free email box. IMHO this is the way to go, if you letter decide to setup a web site for your business you will be all set.

I own the domain princetonhomemusiclessons.com, and am finishing up the process of building and launching the site now.

quamz0
02-16-2015, 03:18 AM
I would strongly recommend a shorter domain if you can think of one, princetonmusiclesson.com you can redirect your current or the other way around and def yourname@yourdomain.com info is too generic, only for initial inquiry. Also for 800 numbers I strongly suggest vanity and not for the names. But make it roll off the tongue easy examples: 877 394 6172 just sucks.... no rhythm, no pattern 888 318 5825 is my number for my credit card processing business. It rolls off the tongue a bit. You should strive for short, to the point, and easy to remember. That being said, if one of the 800 numbers thats randomly generated fits the mold go for it. Just my opinions tho :)

0maha
02-18-2015, 12:45 PM

Yep.

In 2015, a real business will have a real website and real email addresses.

Anything else is a major credibility-buster.

checkmate
02-19-2015, 09:57 AM
Yep. So I'm looking at either a random 800 number or random local number...thinking local.

Based on your company name, it sounds like you are offering a local service. If thats the case just get a local number, one that is memorable.

800 numbers aren't really necessary for small local businesses. Its an extra expense and almost makes you look too big if you are offering local home service.

Coltrane
02-23-2015, 07:47 PM
Hmm...a couple are showing up, just seeing what you guys think-
(609) 436-5789
(609) 356-1464
(609) 608-0559

Are any of them decent?

Harold Mansfield
02-23-2015, 08:00 PM
Hmm...a couple are showing up, just seeing what you guys think-
(609) 436-5789
(609) 356-1464
(609) 608-0559

Are any of them decent?
Doesn't really matter. I guess 609-608...is slightly memorable.