PDA

View Full Version : POS Systems

SouthernVelvetCafe
02-27-2015, 02:04 AM
Do any of my physical store peoples have any recommendations for POS systems and/or credit card processors?
I really like the look and feel of the tablet systems, but I have an allergy to apple products, and too many systems are unclear about whether they're Android compatible, which makes me nervous about the completeness of that offering, even if it does exist.
Leaf is looking tempting, but it sounds like I'd have to pay for their system and a separate card processor each month. I feel like I've seen systems where that was bundled? I might be wrong, though. I can't seem to find the first site I found with the comparisons anymore, and I'm pretty sure it was a prettied-up advertisement anyway.
As always, any help and opinions would be appreciated!

vangogh
02-27-2015, 07:40 PM
I don't have a physical store, but if I did, I'm certain I would use a tablet system. I don't have the same allergies and would like choose iPad so I also can't offer app recommendations. One iOS app a friend of mine used was specifically made for cafes, though. I don't know the name off hand, but I can find out.

Are there specific features you need? Is there max budget?

I'm probably not being very helpful so I did a search and found a comparison of POS apps on Android (http://pos-systems-review.toptenreviews.com/android/).

Sorry I can't be more helpful. I just wanted to respond to help keep your thread active.

maxwellandres123
03-23-2015, 06:43 AM
Hi there,

I am bakery shop owner and got mine POS system from Choose alliance and it is quite good working. You can also find the integrated credit card processor for your self. Though I am not that much technical but it will help you!

Harold Mansfield
03-23-2015, 04:12 PM
I worked on POS systems in Bars, Clubs, and Restaurants for over 20 years.

NCR, Dell and Micros are pretty much industry standards.

Micros is great for larger operations as well as small. A little pricy, but the best.
Dell has come on strong and seem to be affordable for smaller operations with maybe one register.
NCR has always been solid and scalable for whatever you have.

They should all have mobile integration so that you can use a tablet.

nightowl
03-28-2015, 01:37 PM
Have you loked at Square (https://squareup.com/)? If you're just starting out and don't have very many transactions this might be a good solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgDpt1ulIKw

SouthernVelvetCafe
03-28-2015, 02:09 PM
Have you loked at Square (https://squareup.com/)? If you're just starting out and don't have very many transactions this might be a good solution.]

I agree that Square is a great system--for certain businesses. I think it's wonderful for portability, and really great at farmer's markets and street fairs. I don't feel it's as versatile for a stationary business. Thank you for your suggestion, though!

Retailguy
03-29-2015, 09:43 AM
I have run small retail stores for about 17 years. I have used a lot of different POS systems and can honestly say that it has been my biggest challenge in running my businesses. That sounds crazy, but it is true. It hasn't been marketing (which has been very challenging and confusing), nor employees, or even cash flow. If you run a small business and your POS system doesn't work, you are most likely out of business until it is working again. One of my mistakes was maybe being too "cheap" and choosing a POS that was "free" in the beginning. I had all kind of issues with hardware compatibility and there really wasn't any support to speak of. But of course it wasn't free, they hamstring you with their credit card processor...giving you no other choice...and charge higher fees than you could negotiate with another merchant. I looked at Square for all of two seconds: No choice of credit card merchant and 2.75%, Yikes, No way!
The number one thing I look for is a POS that will allow you to use any merchant processor. Those fees add up to hundreds and for some of my stores thousands per month. It is too much money to ignore.
Second, make sure their support actually exists. You don't use phone support often, but when you do, it is vital to help get you going again. There is nothing more frustrating than being "down".
A Cloud based system is important to me, I have lost too many hard drives and computers to not have it automatically backed up, and for me, I need to log in from home and access all my data. Cloud systems are the future for sure.
So have a long look at Shopkeep. I am not an Apple guy, but I have used their Ipad based system for 2 years and not had a hiccup from the Ipad. And I was worried that the system was "hardy" enough for us. My flagship store does $110K-$150K per month, but we do all of that quickly from one terminal. It is only $49 per month and that pays for the cloud and full backup and all updates. Their customer service has won awards and they actually are updating the system often. Their is a forum similar to this they created so people can give feedback and suggestions and have problems solved. The VP actually emailed me back to a question I had. I do not work for these guys, but for the first time in my business history I have a POS that I like! It is not perfect of course, but I can easily recommend this setup. Customers can sign right on the tab...no paper receipts to keep. You can choose ANY (ok, 99%) credit card provider. I use Heartland and have been really happy, but shop around, the savings can be huge. The guy that started the company was a small business owner that got so frustrated with his old systems....
Check them out and ask me any questions you might have about it!

NorCal
04-03-2015, 03:35 AM
Please forgive a stupid question, but what does POS systems include? In my mind I see a iPad register, receipt printer, a credit card reader, and of course the software to read and store information. Does this sound accurate or am I way off?

Harold Mansfield
04-03-2015, 11:06 AM
Please forgive a stupid question, but what does POS systems include? In my mind I see a iPad register, receipt printer, a credit card reader, and of course the software to read and store information. Does this sound accurate or am I way off?

There is no default configuration. I'm sure some kind of main computer somewhere is necessarily. The software can't run in thin air and I doubt you can run your company's sales and accounting on just an iPad.

Also, I know using just an iPad is cool, but I would seriously consider being more practical and not completely relying on something that could be easily dropped, cracked, stolen, lost, or just plain stop working. Also, how are you going to take cash payments if all you have is an iPad?

I'd get an actual cash register too.

Brian Altenhofel
04-03-2015, 12:33 PM
No choice of credit card merchant and 2.75%, Yikes, No way!

This.

Pretty much if a retail store (whether B&M or e-commerce) is running enough revenue to truly be profitable, processors like Square, Intuit, Paypal, and others that actually publish their rates are way overpriced.

By the way, if you have a particular processor you want to use and your POS provider doesn't directly support them, ask the processor if they have an Authorize.net emulator. Due to the widespread use of Authorize.net across the Internet, many processors offer an alternative API that is exactly the same as Authorize.net's so that developers just have to change the URL that their application (whether cloud-based or not) points to. Most POS providers will probably support Authorize.net, so you just have to tell them you're using an emulator.

SouthernVelvetCafe
04-03-2015, 02:53 PM
Also, I know using just an iPad is cool, but I would seriously consider being more practical and not completely relying on something that could be easily dropped, cracked, stolen, lost, or just plain stop working.

Agreed! That's one of my biggest concerns with the iPad processors. I've found an Android system, called Leaf, that is designed to be a POS system, so it's rugged and durable. It also comes with an integrated card swiper, and add-on equipment for things like scales, barcode scanners, and, of course, cash registers. My only concern is it's designed mostly as a tableside system, so it's more compact and not as attractive as some of the other options out there. BUT it does allow you to choose your own processor, which is starting to sound like its biggest selling point.

Harold Mansfield
04-03-2015, 03:14 PM
Sounds like you're over thinking it. Choose the best POS system for your business. If it allows for you to use your iPad to check people out, that's a bonus feature, not a critical one.

Unless you're doing out door fairs and such. In that case, a card swiper that attaches to your smart phone or tablet for your Square or Pay Pal account is free.