PDA

View Full Version : Best way to deal with code

swiggyswag
03-11-2015, 11:46 AM
What is the best way to deal with software code being written that stays with the company? Basically I just want to make sure the code written by myself and other members stays with the company and non one in the business takes it, etc. Non-compete or operating agreement, something else? I guess this would go for everything made as well, so graphics etc. Thanks a bunch.

Business Attorney
03-13-2015, 01:42 AM
Generally, employees and founders sign a document called an Employee Invention Assignment Agreement.

Where there is not already a confidentiality agreement in place, the form is most often combined with a confidentiality agreement and called, appropriately enough, a Confidential Information and Invention Assignment Agreement (http://www.freelegalformslibrary.com/forms/confidential-information-invention-assignment.php).

If any of the employees is, or may ever be, working in California, you probably want to include language in your form that covers a specific statutory notice required by California law (as in the one I have linked to).