PDA

View Full Version : Sole proprietor vs. partnership

lionne
04-07-2015, 05:33 AM
Trying to help grandson with taxes. He and his buddy have a small company making T shirts and other items he designs. This is their third year of filing taxes. They seem to have each chosen to file a Schedule C for sole proprietor, listing their expenses and income, etc. identically on their taxes. I would have thought any time there are more than one person involved in a business it would have to be the partnership route. Please advise.

Freelancier
04-07-2015, 07:42 AM
If they're both owners of the company, yes, they should have formed a partnership... how old are they? It might be that they can't form a partnership because of age. And they shouldn't both list the same expense/income on the schedule C, because they're each taking a half-ownership of the income/expenses, so they definitely have some issues that need to be worked out before you file tax returns next week.

lionne
04-07-2015, 11:10 AM
If they're both owners of the company, yes, they should have formed a partnership... how old are they? It might be that they can't form a partnership because of age. And they shouldn't both list the same expense/income on the schedule C, because they're each taking a half-ownership of the income/expenses, so they definitely have some issues that need to be worked out before you file tax returns next week.

They are both in their mid 20's. My grandson is 24.

Freelancier
04-07-2015, 11:37 AM
And are you a CPA? If not, I'd say you might be better served by directing them to one, because they've made some decisions in the past that they might have to go back and correct somehow.

lionne
04-08-2015, 01:47 PM
No I'm not a CPA, though I have done my own taxes for years. So it turns out the buddy has already filed his taxes using a Schedule C for the sole proprietor method. Can he revise them at this point by some form? And should my grandson go ahead and file as partnership?

Kumar Palani
04-10-2015, 03:16 AM
Partnership should be better, (*should be partnership in this case). Partnership firms also enjoy certain benefits as such you can reduce tax payment considerably by paying a sum to your partner by making him/her a working partner. In your case there should be some issues, and I would advice you to contact a CPA for further details before tax filing.!

tfot
04-13-2015, 08:36 PM
Not sure about the rules and regulations where you are but over here filling as a partnership instead of Personal trader has a few benefits but can also have more paperwork. However a partnership would make more sense in their case I think.

Tfot.

mitchelt
05-09-2015, 07:51 AM
Wouldn't becoming a partnership also help reduce the risk of Personal Liability?

bzelf
09-10-2015, 12:03 AM
If you are considering partnership, I would suggest that you set up LLC, which is taxed as partnership but can provide you with limited liability protection.