PDA

View Full Version : Big product in a small community- Need to branch out!

SkyView
04-08-2015, 10:25 AM
(Thank you in advance for any suggestions and ideas!)
Small towns and villages certainly have their charm and appeal. I love the community in which I now live but it is posing a problem for my small business. My husband and I started a company a couple years ago because he has a skill and there was a need in the market. Unfortunately, it isn't a large market, especially in our community. I am struggling to come up with ideas on how to advertise our business in the areas where it would be the most successful.
We sell, build and repair conservatories, sunrooms and skylights. Our target market is households with an annual income of over $100k. We live in a very small village where the residents don't have as large of an income, in mid-Michigan so local advertising would be pointless.
We have been hired by larger companies to do installations and repairs all over America, but would like to grow our own business and gear our efforts more toward sales and maintenance.
Our budget is very limited at this point and could really use some advice.

David Hunter
04-08-2015, 11:00 AM
Hmmm... interesting.

Are you looking to stay local or grow the business all over America (since you said you've had larger companies hire you to go all over America)??

How far away are you from the bigger towns/cities??

Harold Mansfield
04-08-2015, 11:34 AM
(Thank you in advance for any suggestions and ideas!)
Small towns and villages certainly have their charm and appeal. I love the community in which I now live but it is posing a problem for my small business. My husband and I started a company a couple years ago because he has a skill and there was a need in the market. Unfortunately, it isn't a large market, especially in our community. I am struggling to come up with ideas on how to advertise our business in the areas where it would be the most successful.
We sell, build and repair conservatories, sunrooms and skylights. Our target market is households with an annual income of over $100k. We live in a very small village where the residents don't have as large of an income, in mid-Michigan so local advertising would be pointless.
We have been hired by larger companies to do installations and repairs all over America, but would like to grow our own business and gear our efforts more toward sales and maintenance.
Our budget is very limited at this point and could really use some advice.

Realistically, what is your service area? Are you big enough to take simultaneous jobs in both Toledo, and Columbus OH, or can you only service one at a time? The title of your other thread (which I've merged into this one) says your website isn't doing it's job, but then you don't mention the website or even show it.

Without seeing the website, I'd guess that you probably need to make some adjustments to target a wider service area. Start targeting specific cities and towns.

If your budget is limited ( whatever that means in dollar figures), your website is your best asset. You at least want to try to come up in search in other areas when people are looking.

Again, I'm just spit balling without seeing anything. Your website could be fabulous, or it could be a train wreck that's hurting more than helping.
I don't know.

Paul Elliott
04-08-2015, 02:24 PM
Welcome to the Forum, Sky!

It appears, from your description and experience, that your market is genuinely too small for the services you offer.

CONSIDER THIS:

Since y'all know the business, perhaps you will do well to deploy this knowledge and experience in a lead-generation business for other vendors all over the US and Canada. This can be very lucrative and something you can do from your home in the town in which you wish to live.

If you want more information about lead-generation, PM me.

Paul

krymson
04-08-2015, 04:45 PM
Realistically, what is your service area? Are you big enough to take simultaneous jobs in both Toledo, and Columbus OH, or can you only service one at a time? The title of your other thread (which I've merged into this one) says your website isn't doing it's job, but then you don't mention the website or even show it.

Without seeing the website, I'd guess that you probably need to make some adjustments to target a wider service area. Start targeting specific cities and towns.

If your budget is limited ( whatever that means in dollar figures), your website is your best asset. You at least want to try to come up in search in other areas when people are looking.

Again, I'm just spit balling without seeing anything. Your website could be fabulous, or it could be a train wreck that's hurting more than helping.
I don't know.

As a fellow web developer I have to agree with Harold here.

Your website is your biggest asset. It's how you show off the work that you've done and testimonials from satisfied clients. Often times they judge the quality of your work on the quality of your website. I know this sounds weird but stay with me here. Your website is ultimately the face of your company when it comes to doing business with people that are great distances away. You want it to be functional and easy to navigate while showcasing your service and results. Now moving away from the design and functionality aspect we'll move to the SEO aspect.

If I was to Google "skylight repair houston" you probably wouldn't show up because your website is not set up to target this market. The same can be said about any market. I'll move away from your website now.

Are you actively going out and engaging with other markets? Are you building partnerships with people, a referral network? What larger cities do you have around you that would increase your exposure? Go there and join a Chamber of Commerce.

There are TONS of ways to extend your reach without spending a whole bunch of money. Get in contact with some General contractors, tell them you'll refer them for projects that are outside of your scope and have them refer you when people need your services.