PDA

View Full Version : New Businesses: 19 Things Nobody Tells First Time Entrepreneurs

Paul Elliott
04-09-2015, 02:09 PM
I found this article on LinkedIn and thought it is a good primer for anyone starting a new business (https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/19-things-nobody-tells-first-time-entrepreneurs-dana-severson).

Have a great day!

Paul

turboguy
04-09-2015, 04:33 PM
That was a nice article and contained a lot of truth.

vweconsulting
04-10-2015, 02:44 AM
Great article! #16. Sales solves EVERYTHING. So very true.

David Hunter
04-10-2015, 10:40 AM
Great article! #16. Sales solves EVERYTHING. So very true.

Reminds me of Wolf of Wall Street when Jordan (Leonardo DiCaprio) is giving a talk to his employees about picking up the phone and start dialing.

"So you listen to me and you listen well. Are you behind on you credit card bills? Good, pick up the phone and start dialing! Is your landlord ready to evict you? Good! Pick up the phone and start dialing! Does your girlfriend think you're fucking worthless loser? Good! Pick up the phone and start dialing! I want you to deal with your problems by becoming rich!"

And, thanks for sharing the list, Paul!

Harold Mansfield
04-10-2015, 11:35 AM
I like number #11

Nobody will believe you if you say that you're going to build your business on word of mouth and press. Always talk about "real" customer acquisition.

carloborja
04-14-2015, 05:29 PM
I am 50/50 on #6 though.

If you start your business with a friend or family member, it probably won't end well.

Anyone care to expound?

nightowl
04-16-2015, 01:01 PM
Anyone care to expound?

In the immortal word of the great American philosopher Lucille Ball: "Never do Business with Friends".

Wal-mart, Walton family, is a great exception to the law.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y-mHjWTJVc

HooktoWin
04-16-2015, 04:36 PM
I love #16. Sales solves everything.
Unless the problem is spending too much money, or profitability. :p

#6, 8 times out of 10, doing business with friends and family was a bad idea for me. It just didn't go well.

KellyD
04-17-2015, 07:02 AM
I like #17 - "There will always be someone more successful than you, it's ok to be jealous. Especially if it drives you harder." I agree 100%, nothing makes you work harder than somebody that achieved something you're trying to achieve. Jealousy can in fact lead to growth and personal gain :)