PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Passbook?

andriidemko
04-17-2015, 07:28 PM
The title says it all.

For instance, I use it at Starbucks and that’s all. As for me, it’s weird that businesses don’t support this technology.

It’s convenient from consumers point of view or it isn’t?

krymson
04-17-2015, 07:39 PM
I use it for for purchases at places that support it. (Apple Pay which uses passbook)

You have to realize that bringing in the terminals that support the NFC chips into a business is expensive. So far only some really big names support it. As the price of the technology comes down more and more people will adopt it. It will just take time.

andriidemko
04-19-2015, 03:34 PM
I use it for for purchases at places that support it. (Apple Pay which uses passbook)

You have to realize that bringing in the terminals that support the NFC chips into a business is expensive. So far only some really big names support it. As the price of the technology comes down more and more people will adopt it. It will just take time.

I meant cards (loyalty, coupons, event, business cards). And they are not expensive at all. I think that the time doesn't come yet. It's immature.

Harold Mansfield
04-20-2015, 11:30 AM

Actually it's not. I have an NFC reader/writer on my PC that I got from Amazon for $50..although my phone app has a lot more features for actually reading, locking, and programming tags.

There may be some cost integrating the reader into their POS system, but since they are already using swipe card readers and probably have their own in house programmers it shouldn't be a huge undertaking. NFC is ridiculously cheap. Cards, tags, readers are all cheap.

The biggest problem with it is that most people don't know how to use it, and no one has come up with any fun or compelling uses for it that gets people excited.