PDA

View Full Version : How To Advertise I Am "Buying Stuff" On A Budget ?

RLS0812
05-18-2015, 07:40 PM
I have a *non-internet* based company that buys items from the general public in an area of about a 15 miles radius.

My business has very low profits due to the lack of volume of items I buy. Any ideas on how to advertise myself on a very limited budget in a limited area ?

Harold Mansfield
05-18-2015, 07:47 PM
Local classifieds (online and offline), free neighborhood publications, bulletin boards, newspaper, Craig's list. That's where people you're targeting would look to see such ads.

David Hunter
05-18-2015, 09:51 PM
What exactly are you buying??

I'd go with what Harold said.

You could also advertise in one of the coupon books since you'll hit a bunch of people for pennies

tallen
05-19-2015, 05:06 AM
Is there a local "yard sale" Facebook Group that you could join?

Harold Mansfield
05-19-2015, 09:06 AM
Is there a local "yard sale" Facebook Group that you could join?
If not, start one.

Linc1618
05-19-2015, 03:26 PM
Yes, you want to use the internet to put your non-internet business in the local search engines $25/month should give you the ability to do that. I was in a similar wholesaling business before so I think I understand. Use Google Keyword tools to find out how many people are searching for what you are selling in your local area.

Linc1618
05-19-2015, 03:28 PM
That is a great idea. Start a local facebook page. Post your pictures from your phone using scheduled posts. Drip market to the group members each day at the same time, while you run your business.

david15beck
05-20-2015, 12:09 AM
You can advertise by marketing physically. or you can advertise on Facebook , Google ads by selecting GEO targeting . Don't worry about the budget you can spend little money on that. you have to only pay when if someone clicks your ads. its the best method try it.

RLS0812
05-20-2015, 08:58 AM
What exactly are you buying??
Scrap technology
Anything from PC towers, to laptops, to routers, to DVD or CD players, to telecom equipment, to copy machines, to flat screen TVs, to cell phones --- basically anything with a circuit board in it.
Heck, I even take keyboards, circuit breakers, certain types of relays, and certain types of light switches.

Freelancier
05-20-2015, 09:12 AM
Billboards. With that type of radius, likely there's only a few main arteries people use to move around town. In a small radius, low tech almost always wins when it comes to advertising. As you widen the search radius, high tech is better, but a small radius is better for low tech advertising.

RR151
05-20-2015, 05:20 PM
Scrap Technology just screams a post card in the mail called "Scrap Technology Wanted!" Then list what you want and add a map showing where you are located with contact info.

Get the names from https://www.infousa.com/ add a filter to get mailing addresses within your 15 mile radius. Buy the list and send the post card throughout the neighbourhood on a regular time frame. To start buy the list but send just 25 pieces with the message to split test different graphics. You need to mail 7 to 10 pieces, which is a lot cheaper when testing just 25 pieces. You're looking for 2 to 3% return on the high side...

If you can, offer to pick up the scrap...Then get a graphic that matches the Post Card on the pick up van. Your pitch is "Scrap Technology Wanted!" Next, always add the ask for trigger on the post card, which might be "Ask for our, Spring Cleaning Pick Up Service."

As the driver picks up the scrap be sure to ask each new client if they know someone that has Scrap Technology...If they do then give the new client 3 to 5 business cards or the "Scrap Technology Wanted!" post card.

Scribble their name on the back of the biz or poster card, used to track the power of "asking for help to collect waste technology!"

Another way is to set up a fundraiser for the local school, church, social group etc... The students collect the Scrape Technology from friends and relatives and keeps the money you pay for the scrap. The students are helping clean up the environment and getting paid to do it.

Just a thought, RR

RR151
05-20-2015, 06:14 PM
One more idea,

A while back I received in the mail a sticker from a company that replaced Hot Water Heaters. What was in the envelop was a sticker and instructions to place this sticker on your good water tank. "For emergency help contact us 555-555-5555." They weren't selling anything but understood if people add the sticker they will get the business when there was a need.

So using 1 or 2 of your 10 direct mailings add a sticker that informs how to dispose of their waste technology...You could also use a fridge or computer magnet...RR

RLS0812
05-21-2015, 04:48 PM
Interesting ideas !

RR151
05-21-2015, 05:59 PM
RLS0812,

We would all be interested in hearing what ideas worked for you?

Good Luck...RR

PS: Just a quote to think about...

It is easy to sit up and take notice, What is difficult is getting up and taking action.

Honore de Balzac

MyITGuy
05-29-2015, 05:35 PM
Find a way to target the businesses in your area, as they will likely have large amounts of equipment and will likely let it go at a price point that is feasible to you (versus individuals who think its worth more than what it is).

Instead of advertising as "Scrap", go for Recycling/Re purposing or etc...If you can certify that all data is destroyed (or work with a partner who can) then that would be an added bonus.

I recently donated 75+ working computers to a local Goodwill because I could not find anyone in my area that offered any such services, and now I have 75+ hard drives sitting in storage until I decide to have them destroyed at $10 a pop.