PDA

View Full Version : How to cancel this job?

JC
05-31-2015, 12:24 PM
I've had these customers for maybe 5 years. The first time I met them they rubbed me the wrong way but were very nice the next time, or should I say the wife was. They're both probably in their 60's and the husband always seems to be ornery, spouting rude things from time to time. Went to powerwash their deck before staining recently and their water was off...very frustrating. After telling them that I simply didn't want to work for them anymore, they complained and then practically begged me to still do it so I agreed to do it, scheduled for next week. The other day as I was at a neighbors house, the husband comes over and tells me I need to replace some deck boards that I replaced for him last year FOR FREE! Turns out the wood filler I used in some small gaps was of poor quality and cracked, which I didn't know would of course, but the husband insisted I replace two entire boards, which would have to be cedar now (2x as expensive) since the deck is to be stained soon. I told them again that I didn't want to pw/stain their deck and they once again argued, backed down, begged. I feel very uncomfortable dealing with these people now. I don't have an official contract but there are emails confirming that I would work for them. Any advice?

Freelancier
05-31-2015, 03:08 PM
No contract, money hasn't changed hands... walk away.

No contract, money changed hands, verbal agreement in place... return the money and walk away.

If you have an explicit contract and money changed hands... do what the contract says.

JC
05-31-2015, 03:25 PM
No contract, money hasn't changed hands... walk away.

No contract, money changed hands, verbal agreement in place... return the money and walk away.

If you have an explicit contract and money changed hands... do what the contract says.

Great thanks, money hasn't even changed hands, just a few emails.

fossfolks
05-31-2015, 07:05 PM
Only vaguely related, but when working at a lumber yard I was under the impression that pressure washing cedar would crush the top few layers of fibers and make it harder to hold stain for any length of time. You haven't run into that? I don't know about PT or spruce, and it may make a difference how opaque the stain is...

Cam you come right out and say that you're only dealing with the wife from now on, or the price goes up? Double every time he speaks to you. :)

RR151
05-31-2015, 09:03 PM
Cam you come right out and say that you're only dealing with the wife from now on, or the price goes up? Double every time he speaks to you. :)

I like this idea...the price doubles every time you get cussed out or he talks. Explain the two boards are not free and when and how the price doubles...that might be enough to break the deal and you can move on to more friendly clients...RR

Freelancier
05-31-2015, 10:20 PM
I'm not a big believer in dinging a client for being a pain. They're either a client or they're not. Be a professional and move on if you don't want them as a client.

RR151
05-31-2015, 11:07 PM
I think they are beyond being just a pain...demanding to replace wood, water turned off during deck washing, etc...You have been more than reasonable but they keep pushing...That's not being a pain and this is being done on purpose.

They are misunderstanding the reasonable demeanor as weakness and are going to continue to play these games, which are not making this project much fun. So if it's not fun then you need to get paid well for dealing with the crap plus the work. These people are not clients...

You're right it is time to move on but as I understand it they continue to beg and plead to keep working. It is time to push back and either explain you are really really busy and/or you need to get paid extra to put up with the antics. Things like you had to truck the water in to clean the deck that will be $350.00 extra. More the antics more the charge.

The up front double charge might not be enough...RR

Harold Mansfield
06-01-2015, 09:44 AM
I'd just walk away. I've dropped clients for less, but being talked down to or yelled at is an instant "Good Bye" for me. I don't care what the reason is. I didn't take it from customers when I was a bartender and I don't take it now. To date no one has paid me enough money to be able to yell at me.

For the record, I'm not exactly sure what the number is but I'm pretty sure I'll know it when I hear it.

LouiseToronies
06-01-2015, 09:54 AM
Hi Harold I know I am not experienced enough but to come at it from my angle I would definitely just walk away you do not owe them anything and are not legally tied to them so leave it. Hope this helps, Louise x

M.Ehrmantraut
06-01-2015, 11:33 AM
Definitely just walk away, these types can possibly turn into trouble down the road and aren't worth the headache.

KristineS
06-01-2015, 01:17 PM
The consensus seems to be to walk away and that's what I'd advise too. Life is too short to work for people who are rude and nitpick and nickel and dime you over everything. Just make sure that you are clear as to why you're walking away and can explain if they make a fuss which comes to the ears of other customers or potential customers.

CCAdamson
06-01-2015, 02:09 PM
Assuming you are not bound contractually to perform any type of work for them I would tell them thank you for the past business but I will not longer be your service provider. They will apologize and beg you to stay as they have in the past but this time you need to just stand firm. It isn't worth the hassle.